electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  mosc Chez mosc - tonight, Twyndyllyngs live
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Organic solder corrosion?
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
vtl5c3

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Organic solder corrosion? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've got an embarrassing confession: I found some circuit boards that I'd soldered components on with organic solder and then forgot about them. After cleaning off the residue, the solder joints look really dull, but appear ok otherwise.

Should I leave them alone? Or should I redo them with Organic solder and clean promptly?
mph

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi

I've managed to find an interesting study about "clean" ROHS solder:
http://nepp.nasa.gov/whisker/

Hope that explains a bit your problem.

Cheers
analog_backlash

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's both interesting and worrying mph!

I'm glad that I've stuck to Pb/Sn solder (which is at present still legal for hobbyists). I was put off RoHS-friendly solder because (a) it's more expensive (especially if it contains Ag), (b) I know people who have to use it in industry and they don't like its flow properties and (c) its higher melting point potentially leading to damage to components. I can now add (d) tin whiskers!

I had heard of these previously whilst researching some ancient transistors that I'd scavenged over the years - notably the AF117, which is particularly notorious for growing whiskers. I hadn't thought about the fact that RoHS-friendly solder might lead to a resurgence of these problems.

This is another case of knee-jerk environmental law which has not been thought through properly. REACH is another, which I would have been up to my neck in had I not lost my last job on medical grounds.

Gary

EDIT:

Sorry about the tone of my post - I was in a bit of a bad mood when I did that Mad and I might have come across as a raving anti-environmentalist, which I'm not. When I was last running out of solder, I toyed with the idea of buying RoHS solder, but at that time, it was mainly point (b) that put me off.

I think that the major problem with consumer electronics is the way that they are disposed of and the almost instant obsolescence of electronics (or at least the speed at which they go out of fashion Rolling Eyes ). Nothing should go into landfill (crossed-out bin) and electronics recycling should not be banished to countries with lax environmental controls, as it often is at present.

I know that these are ideals that probably won't happen, but I can dream...

Sorry about going off-topic - I'll shut up now.

Gary
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: