electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
Most stable Editor+OS configuration
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
sicijk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Most stable Editor+OS configuration Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi guys...im looking for the best combination of Nord Modular Editor and OS (linux, mac or win doesn't matter) in order to achieve less workaround to get a stable connection and operating flux between NM and pc.

Thanks a lot in advance!!!
GiGi
egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Windows XP with 3_03 works fine for me. Also it may depend on what midi interface you use.
sicijk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a midsport 2x2, but i dont want to lose 1 I/O...also i've read something that is better to have an interface dedicated only for PC I/O so the editor doesn't get confused with the other Port (?)

What about Windows 98?
It's heaps cheaper to find an oldold notebook working nicely with that OS
Is the V3.03 supported by Windows 98?
Jack_Hertz

Audio files: 101
G2 patch files: 7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I use the Nord editor on Windows 7 with a M-Audio UNO MIDI interface. Works great for me.
sicijk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thank so far guys....but i'll tell you more....
I have OSX based computer. And i would like to have a machine that can run NM Editor smoothly. An old notebook with an old Win98 is as affordable as €30 somewhere here.

Now...my dream is to run the Editor on the same platform im running other stuff, but, whateva...that's fine to get another machine, as far as its going to be a cheap soultion..

So i'm full of curiosity of you with different experiences to share!
Thanks again
GiGi
sicijk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

egw wrote:
Windows XP with 3_03 works fine for me. Also it may depend on what midi interface you use.

what interface do you use?
egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've used it successfully with edirol UM-1SX, Tascam US-122, Edirol UA-25, Lexicon io82. And with one of those cheap cables that just has a usb at one end and two midi connectors at the other, however that one would lose contact occasionally and need to be reset.
I don't know if the editor works with windows 98, but 98 is not such a great idea if you plan to run any audio applications on the machine. I've seen decent XP desktops or laptops selling on ebay for about $50.

varice

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 54

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sicijk wrote:
I have a midsport 2x2, but i dont want to lose 1 I/O...also i've read something that is better to have an interface dedicated only for PC I/O so the editor doesn't get confused with the other Port (?)

What about Windows 98?
It's heaps cheaper to find an oldold notebook working nicely with that OS
Is the V3.03 supported by Windows 98?

Yes, it is. The old Clavia NM1 site (it is still online!) states that it is compatible:

http://www.clavia.se/products/discontinued/nordmodular/software.htm#

Quote:
If you have a PC, this is what you need:

A Pentium 133 MHz or better is recommended. Windows 95/98/NT4.0. The Editor is designed for 800 x 600 screen size but 1024 x 768 is recommended, and minimum 16-bit color. The computer must be equipped with a MIDI interface with previously installed driver.

My experience is that Win98 works very well. I used that along with a Creative Labs sound card that has a single MIDI I/O port which I dedicated for use as the PC Editor connection. I use a separate MIDI patch bay for the standard MIDI signals.

I installed WinXP on the same computer (on another hard drive, so that I can switch drives and boot either Win98 or XP), but I find that the Editor sometimes cannot recall the MIDI port settings.

sicijk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks guys!!

gonna find the right moment to place a bid on a fair old machine =)

[i got too much frustrated (on OSX) to get a crash after a not correct placed right-clik on modules...]
Vader77

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

try an old Ironix Gobook II running XP

its a military spec laptop with a very robust and responsive resistive touch screen

they were £3K new but ex police units can be had very cheap on ebay

the screen is good for tweaks and especially sequencer on/off's
sicijk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ooooh ....thanks!
i really like these rugged laptop....curious enough that i was searching something like this years ago....but wasn't aware of this brand.....in Italy it's not commercialized..
Gonna find the right auction on ebay....unlucky me for customs....in case i got one from US....

thanks anyway!!
GiGI

***EDIT***
So.....got a Gobook III ix260 with XP sp3....i hope this ServicePack won't give me issues....will it?
Thanks =)
GG
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
Jump to: