electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
What is the diff. betwn trigger and gate and other questions
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
the19thbear

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:40 am    Post subject: What is the diff. betwn trigger and gate and other questions Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am familiar with the basic idea of Gate/CV etc. and even S trig. but what is trigger in the mfos modules?
If you look at the ADSR module it has trigger and gate in.
Gate is used to play the complete ADSR curve no matter what, and Trigger is used to interrupt the wave and make a new one (roughly explained). Why the difference? Why not just 2 gate inputs, and call both of them gate?
-sorry but i'm a bit confused Very Happy
ashleym

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You arent confused, you just need to play around to see what the differences are. Try playing a sound with a long decay, if you want to play another note before the decay finishes you need to be able to trigger the ADSR again. Then you could let the last note in a riff just decay as you programmed the sound.

In the real world this is the most natural way of playing.

In Ray's designs the trigger is effectively a very short gate, where you end up missing out the DS stages.

the19thbear

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Makes sense!
-So its just a matter of:
if only one gate signal is received via jack cable on the front panel= the adsr it will play the full envelope.
Having at the same time another gate signal recieved via the "trigger" input on front panel of the adsr, the envelopes will be interrupted when a new gate is received.
right?
ashleym

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I only have the Ultimate from MFOS so I cant be exact with how other modules work but I get the retrigger I want. I would think you would get that with only one gate or trigger connection- you wont need both to retrigger the envelope.
the19thbear

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok. Makes sense:) I'll just mod it i think with a switch that selects between gate and trigger.

I'll order 2 adsr's then:)
ashleym

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you add a switch you can't have a gate and trigger input at the same time and you also end up with just as many panel cuts outs- one for the switch and one for the g/t socket. Just a thought.......

Good luck with the build. I have found MFOS works out of the box. What else are you building and, you know what is coming next, pictures and sounds PLEASE!!!!!!!

the19thbear

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi again. I have an old formant elektor modular that i bought. When i bought it it was about 70% done - but every module has small weird problems that need working out.
-It has 2 vco's, 1 12 db filter, 2 adsr's, 1 vca, 1 triple LFO and 2 doepfer modules ( the envelope follower and noise/random module).
The original adsr modules are not working 100% and they are really slow so i wont even bother repairing them - i'll just swap the with the mfos ones.

I finally managed to get both osc. to be stable but right now i'm working on the 12 db filter. It has 3 modes: LP/HP/BP. LP/BP seems to work fine, but i cant seem to get the HP mode to cut off the sound completely - i always get a some hi freq sound coming through even though the filter freq is at the extreme setting - on top of that i get erratic behaviour from the Q section. setting the cutoff freq knob to 12 o clock and the q to max i get SEVERE oscillation, but only when the cutoff freq is at 12 o clock.... its a great sounding filter so i hope i get it fixed..
I made a thread about it here:
http://electro-music.com/forum/post-378045.html#378045
the19thbear

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

one more thing:

Does this make sense? I would love to ad an LED to the cv out as well, is there an easy way to that on the mfos adsr?
I want to be able to have internal/ext gate and switch between triggered and normal adsr mode.
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
Yeah... i drew it by hand and took a bad picture of it Very Happy

Last edited by the19thbear on Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:55 am; edited 1 time in total
MusicMan11712

Audio files: 148

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the19thbear wrote:
Yeah... i drew it by hand and took a bad picture of it Very Happy
Actually, I like the drawing with the shadow of the picture taking apparatus squarely on top--hands, too.
elmegil

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Do you want to be able to explicitly switch between internal, or do you want plugging in an external to always override the internal? If the latter, you can use a switching jack and save yourself some panel real estate....

Or is that somehow a dpdt switch? Not sure I follow what the diagram is communicating.
the19thbear

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great idea! a switching Jack is perfect for this! Hadn't even thought of this.
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Jump to: