electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Veganism
Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
JovianPyx

Audio files: 224

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Veganism Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've started this thread for parity.

Those folks who hate the "bacon" thread can come here to comiserate or talk about how wonderful veganism is. They can also share their recipes!

~~ discuss ~~

Time flies like a banana.
Fruit flies when you're having fun.
BTW, Do these genes make my ass look fat?
corruptio optimi pessima
audiodef

Audio files: 53

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have some vegan recipes I can share if anyone is interested. Won't get any vegan evangelism from me, though. Smile
-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't hate the bacon thread. I'm surprised at its popularity for something so silly.

Anyway, you want a vegan recipe... this is what we are having for dinner. It's cheap to make too! It's a Peter Singer recipe originally. I usually make this three days before payday and it sees us through. Good poverty food! Smile

Peter Singer's Dal Recipe

Chop up an onion or two and some garlic if you have it.

Fry in a big pot in some oil until it caramelises.

Add a couple of tablespoons of curry powder. (I use Keen's brand. Just use whatever you can get where you live.)

Give it a stir for a couple of minutes then add a big cup of dried red lentils. (I use this big ugly coffee mug with a photo of my Dad printed on it. Laughing)

Stir for a couple of minutes then add three cups of water using the same cup.

Throw in a cinnamon stick and a few bay leaves.

Simmer for about 20 minutes.

Now add a tin of crushed tomatoes. Simmer for another 10 minutes.

Add a tin of coconut milk/cream and the juice of one lemon.

You might want to turn the heat right down or off so the mixture doesn't curdle.

Serve in a bowl with a dollop of chutney on top, or with rice if you prefer.

*Note to the Bacon Brigade: The bay leaves may be substituted for some crispy strips of bacon. Laughing

Oh look, I've just found a video of Peter cooking it!

"Enjoy" (as the hippies say) flower

Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Feels like it's time for this classic Smile

-minus-

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:
Feels like it's time for this classic Smile

Laughing Twisted Evil This is hilarious! I love it! This is on the menu sometime this week. My son will love it as well as the music. Check out the other Black Metal Chef videos too! The titles alone are priceless! Love the way he chops the vegetables and crushes the garlic. Laughing Thanks for sharing- I'm hooked.
DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

-minus- wrote:
I don't hate the bacon thread. I'm surprised at its popularity for something so silly.

I think the whole idea was to enjoy a bit of silliness (and maybe a few strips of bacon) - there's not nearly enough of it around (neither silliness nor bacon)! clown

Of course, It was inevitable that angry veggies would pop in and vilify us Razz

Oh, well. I eat vegetables too, so here's some veggie silliness - as JovianPyx says, for parity:

bachus

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DrJustice wrote:

Good God sir! Who was the scoundrel? Fear not for I shall defend your honor.

But you should know, it's not the eating of meat to which I object, it is the inherent suffering of swine in factory farming. I have no objection to humanly raised and slaughtered livestock being eaten. Though I pass on it my self.

I think many people would not eat factory farmed pork if they had a bit of knowledge of pigs and the reality of their lives in that system.

But, I'll admit it likely most people don't give a shit about the suffering of the animals they eat. I seem to be unable to think of such people as other than suffering from either infantile-self-centeredness leading to protective blindness, or a having a soul that is weak or worse, deformed. Nothing I could do will move such as those.

The important thing to me is not to let the animal be objectified into its raw flesh. To not pretend that the meat when living had nothing in its being worth the honor of even a brief humane existence.

I simply cannot be silent here on that. I owe it to the Boog's siblings who all went to that grate deli in the sky.

DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think we've established that, bachus, and I agree. BTW, we all suffer from protective blindness in various areas, or else life would be completely insufferable. Watch the smilies and lighten up - I wasn't being all that serious Smile
bachus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:

I did not take that seriously. But there are some topics that hurt too much for me to laugh about them without at least a few tears. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea máxima culpa.

bachus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DrJustice wrote:
.. BTW, we all suffer from protective blindness in various areas ...
No doubt. I'm trying hard to become blind to the possible implications of the fact that male mice sing to woo their mates--cause I know I'm going to poison the poor little things when they get in the house. But I'm sure that's not the worst of my self blindness.
-minus-

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've had mice problems before. They can be a real nuisance. You could try using a humane mouse trap. They work really well! I'd suggest getting two. Peanut butter smeared in the end cap is an excellent bait.

You still have the problem of having to get rid of the mice though. You could relocate them somewhere else, maybe away from houses. They would be fending for themselves though, but I guess they always have.

48044_2 Mouse Trap Humane-500x500.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  61.54 KB
 Viewed:  11221 Time(s)

48044_2 Mouse Trap Humane-500x500.jpg

bachus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the tip. I'll get some!
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Recipe for vegan bacon sandwich:

Ingredients : two slices of bread

Or the diet version:

Ingredient : one slice of bread
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shocked Laughing
Acoustic Interloper

Audio files: 89

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bachus wrote:
DrJustice wrote:

Good God sir! Who was the scoundrel? Fear not for I shall defend your honor.

Not I! At my sister-in-law's dinner party two weekends ago she warned me of bacon in the stock for the broccoli soup. Not wanting to appear rude, doctrinaire or boorish -- all of which I in fact am -- I ate.

My best recent pork story, though, comes from a 2004 trip to Munich. On Sunday morning in a small eatery I was extremely happy & proud to have successfully ordered scrambled eggs despite a substantial language barrier. How sad I was, then, to be served what was essentially ham with a little bit of egg scrambled in for good measure. Not wanting to be a rude American I ate it all, but the damned stuff tasted like nothing but salt.

It made the chocolate ice cream I bought later in the Englischer Garden (again, all in German) taste even better.

My son passed through the house shouldering 5 pounds of bacon on the way to Easter dinner with his girlfriend's family the other week.

Now, on to that other thread!

BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My Mum who has been a vege for nearly 40 years had a turkey sandwich at Christmas, she had apparently been fancying one for years Shocked
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm convinced that most if not all veggies secretly desire bacon. I mean why go to so much trouble trying either to imitate it, or cook something that tastes a bit like bacon?

A twist in the veggie bacon sandwich, two slices of bread and toast in between.
If you're on a diet, just eat the toast.

(But bacon is miles better. Take it from me... Ex veggie and happy again! Wink )

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
bachus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's ham and Italian sausage I miss the most.
bachus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Veganism Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

JovianPyx wrote:
I've started this thread for parity.

Those folks who hate the "bacon" thread can come here to comiserate or talk about how wonderful veganism is. They can also share their recipes!

~~ discuss ~~

BTW I don't hate the bacon thread. It's just that this is schmooze and I was a bit edgy from worrying about Boog's crippling arthritic pain. Some of my best friends and my brother eat bacon and I love them anyway. And certainly Boog would eat them, raw or cooked if he encountered them in his feed bowl ,and I don't hold that against him.

audiodef

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mmm, lentils. What I do differently is cook the lentils separately in water on low heat for several hours, and withhold the garlic from the onions until the last few seconds. Then I dump the onions into the lentils and serve over rice.
Potpot

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

audiodef wrote:
Mmm, lentils. What I do differently is cook the lentils separately in water on low heat for several hours...

Several hours!? Ive never cooked lentils for more than 50 minutes or so... Some even cook in 15mins... Found this on BBC's food website:

Green and Brown lentils: 35 – 45 minutes

Red Split lentils: 15 – 20 minutes

Puy lentils: 20 – 25 minutes

Yellow lentils: 15 – 20 minutes
-minus-

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes 15-20 minutes is about right for red lentils anyway.

There's this vegan restaurant near me called 20,000 Cows. The guy who runs it is a bit of a tripper. The food is amazing! He has a cookbook and it's online too. I usually make one of his curries each fortnight and they are great! Highly recommended. He's the link to the cookbook:

http://lis.net.au/marijonas/page7/page7.html
Potpot

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

-minus- wrote:
Yes 15-20 minutes is about right for red lentils anyway.

There's this vegan restaurant near me called 20,000 Cows. The guy who runs it is a bit of a tripper. The food is amazing! He has a cookbook and it's online too. I usually make one of his curries each fortnight and they are great! Highly recommended. He's the link to the cookbook:

http://lis.net.au/marijonas/page7/page7.html

Thanks for the link, Ill have a look. Not too many Vegan restaurants around here Sad I guess its not "in" at the moment...
audiodef

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I use bulk dried lentils and very low heat. I supposed I could do it much faster on high heat, but I like that slow-cooked flavor.
-minus-

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Jump to: