electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
The Wave Burper!
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Tim Servo

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: The Wave Burper! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's a weird little circuit I came up with the other day. I started with a sawtooth frequency doubler designed by Magnus Danielson, and made a few tweaks of my own. The result is a mangler that I have dubbed "The Wave Burper." I made a video of it in action at

http://youtu.be/QJBlpWB6ojg

It will normally act as a sawtooth frequency doubler, but as you vary the input level, the output will morph from 2X frequency saw to 1X saw to 1X square. You can put a VCA in front of the WB to get voltage control of the wave morphing. However, the real fun starts if you put a VCF in front of the Wave Burper and turn up the resonance a bit. I used a Mankato VCF in the video (of course). I would think of offering a PCB, except it's such a simple circuit that you can knock one out with a bit of perf board in an afternoon (or less!). Have fun!

Tim (Expert Burper) Servo

Magic Smoke Electronics WAVE BURPER r01.jpg
 Description:
Magic Smoke Wave Burper r01
 Filesize:  813.5 KB
 Viewed:  330 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Magic Smoke Electronics WAVE BURPER r01.jpg

Boogdish

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awesome! The circuit's so small you could build two behind a single panel and have series wave burping.
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: The Wave Burper! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A couple of notes on the Wave Burper schematic:
1. The vaules in the schematic are for +/-12V operation. For +/-15V, you might want to increase R5 a bit to keep the output at +/-5V. I think I used 75K, but you can experiment to see what works for you.
2. The zener limiters on the output (D1, D2) aren't absolutely necessary, but I found that with some VCFs in front of the WB (especially the Oberheim SEM in Band Pass mode) could produce occasional peaks that went WAY beyond +/-5V. I put the zeners in there to tame those, and I also like the smooth clipping they give when the signal level jumps up.

I hadn't really thought about two Burpers in series... could be fun. Smile

Tim (Burpety Burp) Servo
frijitz

Audio files: 54

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: The Wave Burper! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cheers well done

Wonderful circuit! Huge bang-for-the-buck.

Bet it would be fun to drive it from a waveform whose amplitude dynamically changes polarity (like a Saw --> -Saw cross fade).

Another idea: drive it by a Saw through a VCA with audio freq modulation. This would have to be a huge extension of timbres from ordinary audio frequency AM. Show us some bells!

Ian
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: The Wave Burper! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Ian,

Thanks for the compliment! You've definitely given me some food for thought there. One thing I was looking at is using another op amp section to make an attenuverter and mix the original (varying levels of inverted or non-inverted) input back with the Burped output. However, feeding the WB with a VCA capable of phase reversal might be spectacular. So... I guess I'm looking for a voltage controlled attenuverter. Anybody got a schematic? Actually, I'm surprised something like this doesn't exist (and maybe I just haven't looked hard enough yet).

Okay, so I'm going back to my synth room to see what I can cook up. Smile

Tim (bells? Oh, good. I though you said balls) Servo
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: The Wave Burper! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

(or I could just try a ring mod / 4-quadrant multiplier)

Wink

Tim (Give me a break, I haven't had my coffee yet this morning) Servo
magneticstripper

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Super cool Tim!
i built it with 5.1v zeners and 68k for R5. Looks like it is still in the +-5v range. i used a 1.2k between R1 and the Ground, pretty solid square on the waveform start. Once again, Great unit Tim! Thanks!
frijitz

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The Wave Burper! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tim Servo wrote:
However, feeding the WB with a VCA capable of phase reversal might be spectacular. So... I guess I'm looking for a voltage controlled attenuverter. Anybody got a schematic?

It's a fairly standard circuit. Basically, you use two OTAs controlled by a CV and its inverse. I used one here:
http://home.comcast.net/~ijfritz/sy_cir5.htm
(A5-A8, U1, U2)

Ian
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: The Wave Burper! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How about this for a VCA circuit that would fade between non-inverted and inverted versions of an input?

I haven't tested this, but I think the theory is right... any thoughts?

Tim (in theory, until it goes "Blammo!") Servo

Magic Smoke Inverter Fader.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  513 KB
 Viewed:  233 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Magic Smoke Inverter Fader.jpg

frijitz

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Wave Burper! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tim Servo wrote:
How about this for a VCA circuit that would fade between non-inverted and inverted versions of an input?

That looks fine. If you use an OTA where you have "VCA" labeled, then A2 and R6 are not needed! Just feed the OTA (-) input from an appropriate voltage divider. Then design the OTA control current to proved twice the maximum output current as the current through R5, ie 0.1mA max. Finally, drive A3's summing node directly from the OTA output!

This illustrates how it is often advantageous to think of the summing node of an inverting opamp summer as a current summing node, ie, total input current is zero. Then the currents can come from OTA outputs directly as well as from input voltage through input resistors.

Ian
bubzy

Audio files: 64

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

are you sure those zeners are 1n4374 and not 1n4734?
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: The Wave Burper! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

D'oh!! Yes, that's supposed to a 1N4734A, 5.6V Zener. This is the 1 Watt version, which is way more power than this diode should ever see, so you could also use the 1/2W version if that's what is available. As noted by Magneticstripper, the 5.1V version seems to work okay too. It probably just begins to clip at a slightly lower level.

Tim (dyslexia a problem I have a) Servo
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The Wave Burper! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

frijitz wrote:
Tim Servo wrote:

That looks fine. If you use an OTA where you have "VCA" labeled, then A2 and R6 are not needed! Just feed the OTA (-) input from an appropriate voltage divider. Then design the OTA control current to proved twice the maximum output current as the current through R5, ie 0.1mA max. Finally, drive A3's summing node directly from the OTA output!

This illustrates how it is often advantageous to think of the summing node of an inverting opamp summer as a current summing node, ie, total input current is zero. Then the currents can come from OTA outputs directly as well as from input voltage through input resistors.

Ian

Wow, I definitely would not have thought of that. Nice! Okay, so you could throw this together with a 3080 or half of a 13700 and simplfy the circuit further. I may have to give that a shot this weekend. Thanks for the tip, Ian.

Tim (all about the simple) Servo
richardc64

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ahem...this signal cancellation process looks awfully familiar to me.

Would it be possible to eliminate A2 by using the OTA's inverting input?

Last edited by richardc64 on Wed May 29, 2013 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
frijitz

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

richardc64 wrote:
Ahem...

And ahem to you too! Very Happy

Ian
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: