electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Building a new bass / melody / lead synth
Page 3 of 3 [67 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
Paradigm X

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Skrog Productions wrote:
FX dismantle & wiring this weekend Smile.
I have taken the pcb out of the stompbox case and it looked quite difficult to take the pots off the manufactured pcb without damaging tracks so, i decided just to snip the pot legs with cutters , leave the pots in place but not connected and run wires from the snipped legs sticking up from the pot thru holes and sleeve them with heatshrink , this allows me to re-assemble the stompbox if i ever need to , unlikely Smile.hurrah ! Smile

Dave.

hah, great idea, i was wondering how best to rehouse a behriner delay.

what are you doing with the on off switch (foot pedal_? mine defaults to off. Would shorting the pcb coneections work?

looks great, mental wiring. very impressed.
Skrog Productions

Audio files: 155

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Paradigm X
Smile

On my fx pcb there is a little push switch , i put my continuity meter over the poles to find the switch pins then ran 2 wires from it to a panel mounted push to make momentary switch , when i power up the synth the fx led comes on and i can bypass using the push , i also have a dummy jack in the input of the fx permenantly plugged in , this simplified keeping the multi pole switch jack happy Smile

The orange synth is surprisingly no noiser than my modular system , the fly leads from the pcb's are not much longer than my usual modules and i made sure i cable tied the lfo / adsr cv's & noise wires away from mixer / filter wires.

Dave.
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oh , i forgot , Delay fx control pots prefer as short a path as possible back to the pcb , if you are wiring to a panel keep the fx pot wires as short as you can.
Smile
Dave.
Paradigm X

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great stuff thanks. Ill have a look tonight. Cheers!
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hullo , got a chance to get back to working on the new synth Smile

Fitted two 70mm air vents , that should help the 3 regulator's heatsinks get some fresh air, fixed the sample & hold too (wire mix up Embarassed )
Just need to record and post some sounds from it Very Happy

vents.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  181.47 KB
 Viewed:  455 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

vents.JPG

Final tests & fixes.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  335.51 KB
 Viewed:  457 Time(s)

Final tests & fixes.JPG

Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inside the power supply for the modular & new orange synth , had the cover off for temporary hook up to new synth .
Inside the power box i have a 230V to 2x 15v 225VA Torroidal transformer feeding 2x 15A bridge rectifiers with their own 150mm x 50mm x 5mm thick heat sinks and main smoothing caps 4700uF and "line good" green leds for +/- lines .
The Raw DC is 19v on both +/-

Link to original build thread.... http://electro-music.com/forum/post-335363.html

Raw DC power.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  173.84 KB
 Viewed:  445 Time(s)

Raw DC  power.JPG

Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

and with cover on

matching blue with the modular.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  150.71 KB
 Viewed:  436 Time(s)

matching blue with the modular.JPG

Cynosure
Site Admin

Audio files: 82

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I trust you know what you are doing and everything is safe, but is it not dangerous to have those regulator heatsinks attached to wood? Is the wood covered in foil underneath?

Also, I think that the negative regulators I use have voltage on the heatsink. Is that not a risk of creating a spark if those regulators are too close? What happens if some dust or a splinter of wood bridge the gap?

These might be silly questions, but I just want to be cautious before I go repeating what I see you doing, miss something that the pics don't show, and burn my house down. Smile
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Heheheh , Jake , stop it , it's not april 1st yet and im on the floor laughing, here's my reply Razz ,
...Yes, the regulators operate at a nominal 1000degC (higher as i go up the keyboard scale).
For regulator casing voltage insulation properties i used cat skin instead of the usual mica insulators (gives a filter sound that'd make you fall in love).

House fires are Darwins way of ensuring the survival of patient, well grounded & educated diy synth builders.

Smile Very Happy Laughing Surprised Smile Very Happy Laughing Surprised Wink Razz Smile Very Happy Laughing Surprised Razz Cool Wink
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Regulators usually have thermal shutdown somewhere at 150C or so ... to get wood to fire needs higher temperatures - about 600C. And that would have to be for some sustained time, by then the heat problems in electronics usually would have solved themselves.

Sparks is not an issue with the low voltages on the secondary side .. before sparks occur there probably would first be an issue with creep - where current flows over a surface rather than through an arc ... as an indication, for 230 Volt a creep safe distance of about 7.5 mm is used (that would be over a PCB surface) ... so for 50 Volt or so (and it could not get worse than that prolly, even on the unregulated side) ... lets say 2 mm would be safe already.

Spark distances depend on geometry and air conditions a lot ... but let's say about 0.5 cm worst case for 5 kV.

Now when things get wet this would all change a bit .. but even then in a low voltage system I'd expect no problems - with fire that is .. the equipment may get damaged of course ...

Cynosure
Site Admin

Audio files: 82

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok thanks for clearing up everything. I guess I was just being overly cautious.

Now I need to hunt down some stray cats to get insulation! Laughing

cat
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy

some sounds Smile ...........

mp3, 1- top part of synth 1 vco sub & square through 24dB vcf / vca into RAT distortion.
mp3, 2- Both vco's 1+2 run through the top vcf / vca , bass sound , no fx , dry sound.
mp3, 3- Mfos sequencer to both vco's 1+2 run through the bottom vcf 12dB / vca, dry sound.
mp3, 4- TechnoFun Smile 2 Mfos sequencers, one to top synth , the other to the bottom synth, turning dials , dry sound.

more sounds with the FX600 at the weekend.

Smile
Dave.

orange synth square & subs & RAT.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  orange synth square & subs & RAT.mp3
 Filesize:  812.82 KB
 Downloaded:  1069 Time(s)

Orange synth 2vco's to 24dBvcf with glide.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Orange synth 2vco's to 24dBvcf with glide.mp3
 Filesize:  418.22 KB
 Downloaded:  1011 Time(s)

Orange synth 2vco's to 12dB vcf & mfos sequencer.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Orange synth 2vco's to 12dB vcf & mfos sequencer.mp3
 Filesize:  2.15 MB
 Downloaded:  974 Time(s)

Orange synth TechnoFun 2sequencers 2 monosynths.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Orange synth TechnoFun 2sequencers 2 monosynths.mp3
 Filesize:  4.11 MB
 Downloaded:  961 Time(s)

Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hullo

Jammed out some more sounds with my Mfos sequencer & Keyboard (korg-X5) into the Poly-DAC 4voice midi to cv converter for some transposed sequences Very Happy .

Sounds 1 - Sequencer & Keyboard vco2 through vcf2 highpass / vca2 to FX600 Flanger.

Sounds 2 -Keyboard vco1 through vcf1 / vca1 to FX600 Chorus.

Sounds 3 -Keyboard vco1 sub through vcf1 / vca1 to FX600 phaser.

Sounds 4 -Random sequence vco1&2 vcf1 / vca1 to FX600 Delay.

and a pic of the new synth nestled into it's tower Very Happy

Dave.

DIY Synth Tower 2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  315.62 KB
 Viewed:  299 Time(s)

DIY Synth Tower 2.JPG

sequencer -vco vcf vca - FX600 flanger.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  sequencer -vco vcf vca - FX600 flanger.mp3
 Filesize:  1.86 MB
 Downloaded:  954 Time(s)

keyboard cv & 1 synth thru chorus fx.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  keyboard cv & 1 synth thru chorus fx.mp3
 Filesize:  520.84 KB
 Downloaded:  962 Time(s)

ELLL - EFFF - OHHH thru phaser FX.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  ELLL - EFFF - OHHH thru phaser FX.mp3
 Filesize:  1.27 MB
 Downloaded:  1082 Time(s)

random sequence to 1 then 2 vco's thru Delay FX.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  random sequence to 1 then 2 vco's thru Delay FX.mp3
 Filesize:  2.43 MB
 Downloaded:  946 Time(s)

Paradigm X

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dave

Sorry, i followed this thread all the way through, and even listened to the demos, but forgot to post afterwards! Embarassed

Excellent sounds and an amazingly flexible synth.

I am currently building a much smaller monosynth type thing. I might ask a question relating to wiring up multiple LFOs to multiple sources etc. if you dont mind.

Amazing job overall tho, and all diy, case, panel, everything.

Nice one.

Cheers, Ben
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Ben , thanks for the comments Smile ,
Yes, distribution of control voltage (from LFO) ..... I usually like to build a simple buffer board if an LFO or ADSR etc has to modulate several destinations.
A purchased MFOS pcb vc-lfo or pcb ADSR usually has a buffer built in at the end of the circuit chain , that is ok for the module to work a couple of cv's , if you need 3 or more destinations simultaneous, it is wise to have a buffer per output , like this , from Ray's archive section....http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/forums.html?MAINTAB=SYNTHDIY&PROJARG=OLDIESBUTGOODIES/VOLTAGEMIXER/voltagedist1.html&VPW=1024&VPH=503 .

Dave.

cvdistributor.bmp
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  cvdistributor.bmp
 Filesize:  712.21 KB
 Downloaded:  240 Time(s)

Paradigm X

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks,

I have been mulling this over, and was thinking theyd need buffering, thanks for the schematics. Some are going via foniks attenuverter chicklets, so im guessing they shoudl be buffered ok?

Funnily enough, i was on a site last night, and found an ideal peice of ply in the skip too! karma

Ill start a new thread maybe, dont want to spoil yours.

cheers, Ben
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Ben Smile

I've not looked at foniks circuit yet , but if the attenuverter is going to feed a lot of cv inputs, buffers will help Smile .

Hehe, site skips are great because they have to separate the waste for recycling, that means lots of nice clean off cuts not spoiled by general rubbish Smile, I usually ask the site agent or general foreman if I can take some off cuts and they are fine with it Smile.

Dave.
Page 3 of 3 [67 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Jump to: