electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Is there a way to transmit octave button over midi
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Sofine

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:49 am    Post subject: Is there a way to transmit octave button over midi Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Greetings!

I have my G2 connected to my Vsynth XT. I like vocoding Razz

It's nice to jump large ranges when vocoding, for effect. However, I find that the octave buttons on my G2 do not transmit notes from a different octave to the XT after I have changed it on my G2.

Any ideas? Do you think I might have to create a specific midi patch for this?

Thanks in advance

Simon
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm not too sure how the coupling is exactly on the keyboard model (as I have engines) ..

But ... one way that should work would be to have a frequency detector on an oscillator and make its output go out through a MIDI note out module (NoteSend).

But you could also try to just use a keyboard module directly, as the help file says (for the keyboard module) :

Quote:
Pitch

This blue output provides you with a pitch control signal that is a mix of the value for the played note plus pitch bend plus glide values from the Nord Modular G2 keyboard or from the MIDI In port. This same signal is also hardwired internally in a patch to every module that has a KBT control or button.

which suggests that the tramspose buttons would be included in it's out put as well ... so this would be KeyBoard module -> NoteSend module.

You may want to send on a different MIDI channel tho as otherwise you'd get two notes for each key press.

Anyway - not sure it works, but that's what I would try.

varice

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 54

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a way to transmit octave button over midi Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you are trying to “octave shift” an external synth engine by using the G2 Keyboard or G2X Octave Shift front panel buttons alone, that may be possible only if the external synth can be octave shifted by a MIDI CC command. The G2 does transmit a MIDI CC #17 value when the Octave Shift buttons are pressed, so in that case, it may be possible translate the G2 command to control an external synth.

Then there is the Global Octave Shift mode:

Clavia G2 User Manual wrote:
OCTAVE SHIFT BUTTONS

With these buttons you can either transpose a Patch in a Slot or transpose the whole Keyboard globally over a range of +/-2 octaves. In Patch Transpose mode, the OCTAVE SHIFT buttons transpose each of the Slots individually. In this mode the keyboard itself is not transposed. The Patch transposition takes effect immediately. In Patch Transpose mode only one of the five LEDs will light up.

When pressing SHIFT plus the left OCTAVE SHIFT button the LEDs will invert, meaning that all LEDs but one light up. This puts the octave shift controls in Global Octave Shift mode which will transpose the keyboard globally instead of only the Slot. When in Global Octave Shift mode all Slots will be transposed equally. The notes played on the keyboard that are send as MIDI NoteOn through the MIDI OUT jack of the synth will also be transposed, meaning that in this mode the G2 keyboard acts like a Master Keyboard.

Unfortunately, when the G2 is in Global Octave Shift mode, the G2 or any other MIDI synth connected to the G2 MIDI output will not respond in exactly the same way that the G2 synth engine responds when the default Patch Transpose mode is selected. In the Global Octave Shift mode, button presses do not shift any sustained note(s), only new notes played on the G2 keyboard. When in the Patch Transpose mode, the G2 synth engine immediately responds to octave shift commands, including sustained notes. Not really a G2 bug I think, but a general MIDI limitation instead.

Sofine

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fantastic replies guys, thanks a mill.

I will try this out over the next few days and see which works best. I think the global transpose seems the simplest path, though I may miss the option to transpose held notes, a nice trick, so I'll give the patch transpose cc method a go too.

Cheers!
davep

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 73

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Edit - I just noticed that the post above answers this. Hold the SHIFT button while briefly pressing both OCTAVE buttons to change the way the G2 sends octave data.

BTW, Hi you guys! Long time no see!

Dave Peck

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Dave :-)

That makes it easy!

davep

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 73

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a way to transmit octave button over midi Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

varice wrote:

Unfortunately, when the G2 is in Global Octave Shift mode, the G2 or any other MIDI synth connected to the G2 MIDI output will not respond in exactly the same way that the G2 synth engine responds when the default Patch Transpose mode is selected. In the Global Octave Shift mode, button presses do not shift any sustained note(s), only new notes played on the G2 keyboard. When in the Patch Transpose mode, the G2 synth engine immediately responds to octave shift commands, including sustained notes. Not really a G2 bug I think, but a general MIDI limitation instead.

...This difference in the way the transpose works in one mode versus the other can be used as a useful feature. Like so:

When I was first using the G2, and playing slow pad patches, I was disappointed to find that using the transpose switch would cause sustaining notes in the chord to jump to the new octave, when I really only wanted NEW notes that were played AFTER pressing the octave switch to be played in the new octave setting. The other octave switch mode addresses this. In the other mode, sustaining notes in a chord will continue to play their original pitch, and only NEW notes will play in the new octave range. This allows you to build up massive chords that span many octaves using the three-octave keyboard and the octave switch to add new notes in the higher and lower octaves while the old notes sustain and decay.

varice

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 54

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

davep wrote:
...BTW, Hi you guys! Long time no see!...

Hi Dave! Good to see you again. Smile

davep wrote:
...This difference in the way the transpose works in one mode versus the other can be used as a useful feature...

Yeah, I like having the option of both modes.

A similar thing is the way the G2 Keyboard Hold button works versus the sustain pedal. At first glance, it may seem that this button would just work like the pedal. But there is a significant difference in how these two controls handle new/sustained/released notes as the keyboard is played.

anigbrowl

G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tee-hee! I just had the same problem (controlling an Elektron Analog Four) and this thread was sitting here waiting with the answer of Global transpose. Win Wink
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: