electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  mosc Back on the air tonight - Twyndyllyngs
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
A couple of questions from a new DIYer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Collman

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject:  A couple of questions from a new DIYer. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi guys. I just finished my first diy build, a Coron DS7 clone. We build it in a little workshop by another forum member, we printed the pcb and everything. After that I've been doing some CMOS stuff in a breadboard, nothing too fancy, I went through the whole beavisaudio stuff and some of the fun with sea moss things.

So now I'm looking for something else and I have a couple of questions.

1) I'm looking to buy a book to get things a little more organized than just browsing random pages, and I noticed that new one by Ray Wilson, who I've always liked, but there's also stuff by Thomas Henry and Nicolas Collins that I've seen people talk about. What would you guys recommend?

2) Browsing this forum I often feel very lost among the plethora of modules available, which is obviously a good thing, but I have trouble deciding what exactly I want to build that won't be too much and that doesn't require an oscilloscope. I know I want some filter (already ordered parts for a WSG filter, but looking for something else), and a Low Pass Gate kind of thing would be great, but looking for one that I can print myself and actually deciding on one plus piecing bits and pieces meant for more experienced DIYers gets a little stressing at times.
So, I'm wondering if there's a list somewhere of not-so-complex modules that can be built without an oscilloscope and that you can print yourself. I know it's a little specific, but it seems like it would make a decent resource for people getting into the hobby so maybe someone already made a roadmap of sorts that I can look at.

I though I had some more questions, and I'm a little burnt out right now because of finals, so sorry if anything doesn't make that much sense. Thanks for reading.
jackdamery

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Welcome Collman!

If you're just starting out then I would highly recommend Ray Wilson's book. Thomas Henry's books generally consist of more schematics than explanations and assume that you are quite familiar with SDIY and electronics. Also look up Barry Klein's 'Electronic Music Circuits' or the 'Musical Engineer's Handbook' from Electronotes, both of which can still be ordered direct from the authors.

2. Ray Wilson's book walks you through the construction of his noise toaster, he sells the PCBs and components from his website, and it would probably make a very good second build for you. Also check out Nicolas' circuits that are designed to be built on stripboard and run of two 9v batteries.
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-34550.html

Other than that, participate here, on Muffwiggler and join the 'Synth DIY' group on Facebook.

Cheers,
Jack
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: