electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
Fractal music
Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Professor Nosehair

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Fractal music Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Please explain to me how it works...and maybe this thread can be used for posting Fractal compositions as well as links to fractal music generators or equations one can perform so as to make fractal music by hand.
astroid power-up!

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

off topic, but if you could make a fractal piece that doesn't sound like garbage, i'd be highly impressed!

-to me, fractal music always has a vaguely unsettling, meandering, over-stable quality to it, as if someone didn't choose the right variables to do the fractal development to. it might be interesting to have the fractal variables be things like Pulse Width Modulation, Carrier Frequency Modulation, and not just tonal content.

gravehill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been trying out some fractal composition programs every now and then. What I do, though, is that I make fractalized solo lines, then import them to Cubase, cut, paste, transpose and arrange for different instruments. So the result isn't in strict terms a fractal composition anymore but nevertheless, I find it usually sounds interesting.

That said, lately I have tried to utilize randomness in various ways. The abovementioned method of "fractal" composing is one way. I also like to add random modulations to synth patches. I just like the element of unpredictability and those happy accidents that tend to occur.

http://www.chaosresearch.de
BlakeLight

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Last edited by BlakeLight on Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stanley Pain

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 35

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BlakeLight wrote:
there is an inevitability in the music which is sublime that reminds me of a Bach Fugue or one of Ockeghem's forward/reverse canons.

like a Schenkirian wet dream.
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hoffstadter´s "methamagical themas" has some very interesting texts on paterns and reptetion, some of it related to music, all of it interesting. I found it a much more stimulating read then "godel, Esher, Bach".
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I haven´t really ever managed to find any music generation tool interesting. I never have gotten close to anything I find truly useful. I get ideas though, most often from the product blurb. Then I often imagine sounds and tonal structures.. but at that stage it is far easier simply to write and play/program it rather than messing about with some algorithmic software tool. That said, some day I should learn MAX. I have ideas.. but I don´t think those ideas would make any sense to than than me.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
I have ideas.. but I don´t think those ideas would make any sense to [others] than me.

Try me.

I´ll be back on tuesday so you have time. Include apendices of poetry and and picures of archtectural structures if you feel you need them.

:¬)

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
Try me.

I´ll be back on tuesday so you have time. Include apendices of poetry and and picures of archtectural structures if you feel you need them.

:¬)

Hmm, I might just do that. Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool.
astroid power-up!

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

however, the computer can make textures which you couldn't possibly imagine, and then you get to pick which ones you like!
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A good point. Frankly I have never really explored that route . I have never found that interesting. I might look into that one day.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Jason

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Professor Nosehair, here is one definition of 'Fractal music' --->
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractal_music
Basically the concept of production of fractal images applied to sound.
I personally dont agree with its definition of entirely having musical results since not only is this on a certain level very subjective/relative, I personally dont find fractal music very musical at all. But then again I have not explored it much. I too find it much more interesting like someone mentioned on this thread to generate some forms of fractal based music and integrate that with my 'regular' form of composition, again though taking it outside of strictly 'fractal music'...
sbowman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blacklight, which Ligeti etude are you referring to? I LOVE Ligeti's music, and I'm excited to see you list him as your main interest in your profile. I think he's the most compositionally advanced composer of the late 20th Century.

I'm also a huge fan of Bach and all Renaissance music, including Ockeghem--another name you don't hear too often. You must know Monteverdi too--I just heard the 1610 Vespers live, a week before going to Electro-Music 2005. What a combo!

To get back on topic, I find I'm inspired by LOOKING at fractals, absorbing the logic of the self-similarity and variation, and then playing music. I imagine there must be a way to translate the 1's and 0's of a graphic image into music and get it to sound like something, but I don't know how. How about fractal textures--like fractal pads--to use in the background of other human-driven sounds? Graphic artists use fractal algorythms to make mountains and water, why not musical textures.

Steve
OAO3

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

a did little work with CSound a few years ago, and it had some interesting examples of 'fractal music'. i think it basically plotted a line across the mandlebrot set, and assigned notes for the points it intersected. if that actually makes any sense, that is. anyway, CSound was waaaay too much for me at the time but the samples it came with for these fractal 'songs' were pretty cool. some were just a barrage of discordant notes but there was at least one i found to be a very beautiful 'piece'. they all used a sort of plucked string sound. anyway, might be something worth checking out, i'm pretty sure CSound is free.
sbowman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was going to ask, "what is Csounds" but tried Googling the term first. I got my answer. For anybody else who wants to know, here's the link to the official site. Check out the sample MP3's.

http://www.csounds.com/

I see what you mean by "waaay too much," but it's good to know it's there. Maybe someday I'll need it.

Steve

www.AvailableSpaceMusic.com
www.BizClarity.com
illuminated

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Edited
Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
Jump to: