electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Boss DR-110 Power issue
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
eonz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:09 am    Post subject: Boss DR-110 Power issue Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi everyone,

I've looked around trying to find something on this subject with no luck,so perhaps this might be a good first post.

I recently a acquired a Boss DR-110, everything works great accept it will only power up with batteries. I've got a Roland/Boss (9VDC) wall wart adapter that I am using so I know that if there wasn't a issue with the unit, it would power with this adapter.

I am still learning schematics so referring to it for troubleshooting is a bit foggy for me. If anyone has a idea of what the problem might be or can even guide me in the right direction of things to look at and check, please let me know...I've been looking at the board for so long now,I think I can see through it Shocked

Thanks in advance!
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is there any chance that Boss makes wall warts with both polarities, and you have the wrong polarity? Sorry if this seems an obvious questions, but I tend to start there Smile

By polarities I mean, normally the tip (the inside) of the power connector is positive or negative, and the sleeve (the outside) is opposite. Most pedals I've seen are negative tip, but if for some reason Boss makes both kinds, and you got the opposite of what your pedal expects, it won't work.

To check, somewhere on the pedal there ought to be a diagram that shows a plus or minus sign and a graphic representation of tip and/or sleeve. There should be the same type of diagram on the wall wart. If they are the same, you're good and this isn't the problem. But if they're not, this is the problem.
eonz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for your reply!

I've double checked the polarity and everything looks cool.

The inside is negative and the outside is positive of the adapter...all 3 of my Roland adapters are marked the same.Ive checked and this is the requirements for the DR-110.

I desoldered the DC jack to test the output current and I am getting normal voltage...so the DC jack and polarity of the adapters seem to be fine.
Batchelor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey eonz,

Have you had any luck fixing your dr-110? I've had exactly the same issue that you described, it would only with with batteries. Now it wont work with either...

I've had a look in the service manual, but unfortunately it's quite foreign to me too..

Any help anyone can offer would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Alex
istel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I also had the same issue as you guys - there's a transistor at Q19 which is being used as a voltage regulator, ie supplying 6v to the circuit. In my case it was simply dead and i had to replace it - i got help from a friend who knows more about electronics than me and we put in a BD136 and now it works from power supply.

I suspect the original transistors might be failing now, 20-30 years after production...
grenert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've had a similar problem with a Roland TR-626. The power cable must have been pulled pretty hard at some point, and the connection between the power jack and the PCB had been broken. I was able to resolder and get it to work again.
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Jump to: