electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
stupid substitution question.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
crashlander42

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: stupid substitution question. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm building a CGS wave multiplier, and only have 4.7v 1W zeners (1N4732). The parts list calls for a 4.7v 400mw zener.

Is substituting a higher wattage zener going to screw anything up?

http://www.myspace.com/isaciongun
http://www.youtube.com/user/Crashlander42
My DIY stuff Flickr
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nope, it could cause problems if it was the other way around (a circuit that needs 1W and you only have 400mW). but it'll work fine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
analog_backlash

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
nope, it could cause problems if it was the other way around (a circuit that needs 1W and you only have 400mW). but it'll work fine.

Hi PHOBoS, your answer has driven me to madness (a very short journey...). I'm sure that I read a reply to a thread very recently which said that there was a problem replacing 400mW zeners with 1W ones, but of course, I can't find it now Mad . I think it was along the lines of the optimum reverse currents of the two being different, affecting the "regulated" output. It may well have been (a) wrong or (b) a hallucination. Up until then, I was sure that replacing a 400mW with a 1W zener would make no difference.

If anyone remembers this (possibly imaginary) thread, please let me know!

Gary
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you might be right, I know they need a certain current to work properly but am unware that there is a difference between 400mW and 1W.
But I bet someone here can confirm it.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
analog_backlash

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just worked it out - I saw it on the muffwiggler forum:

http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/topic-86024.html&highlight=zener

I don't know if this link will work, because I always have problems with these links. Anyway, the quote from daverj says:

"There is a slight difference when substituting a 1W Zener in place of a 400mw Zener. The Zener voltage for each is defined at a specific current. Besides the maximum power that the part can handle (the wattage), the test current used to find the Zener voltage is typically higher on the 1W Zener.

What that means is that at a lower current the higher wattage Zener will typically have a lower than rated Zener voltage.

For example, the 1N4734A (1W) has a Zener voltage of 5.6 volts when 45ma is flowing through it. While the 1N5232B (0.5W) has a zener voltage of 5.6 volts when 20ma is flowing through it. Lower the current on either one and the actual voltage across it will be a bit lower."

I wasn't imagining it after all Very Happy . I don't think that it will make a huge amount of difference by the sound of it.

Gary
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ah, thanks. learned something again Smile
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

analog_backlash wrote:
I don't know if this link will work

Prolly not ... well .. for members only:

Quote:
IMPORTANT NOTICE - In order to conserve server resources for active members, the forum permissions have been changed so that only logged-in users may now browse the site. At any given time around half our traffic has been coming from "guest" users, so I'm hoping this makes a significant difference in terms of server performance.

Too bad - I liked browsing there at times Rolling Eyes

elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jan, the limits haven't solved the problem, so hopefully eventually when they find the REAL problem they'll open it back up for guests.
crashlander42

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

analog_backlash wrote:

What that means is that at a lower current the higher wattage Zener will typically have a lower than rated Zener voltage.

For example, the 1N4734A (1W) has a Zener voltage of 5.6 volts when 45ma is flowing through it. While the 1N5232B (0.5W) has a zener voltage of 5.6 volts when 20ma is flowing through it. Lower the current on either one and the actual voltage across it will be a bit lower."

I wasn't imagining it after all Very Happy . I don't think that it will make a huge amount of difference by the sound of it.

Gary

That's what i was worried about. I've going to use them and cross my fingers.

http://www.myspace.com/isaciongun
http://www.youtube.com/user/Crashlander42
My DIY stuff Flickr
analog_backlash

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
analog_backlash wrote:
I don't know if this link will work

Prolly not ... well .. for members only:

Quote:
IMPORTANT NOTICE - In order to conserve server resources for active members, the forum permissions have been changed so that only logged-in users may now browse the site. At any given time around half our traffic has been coming from "guest" users, so I'm hoping this makes a significant difference in terms of server performance.

Too bad - I liked browsing there at times Rolling Eyes

Just in case you haven't read it Jan, muffwigglers now says "We will be restoring guest browsing again in the next day or two as well." Hopefully, this will be the case. I mainly registered with them so that I could look at the links other people had posted here. I much prefer e-m (what a creep I am Very Happy ).

Gary
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah cool.

creeps? where? Laughing

Anyway, hope they solved the problems then, and thank you for telling me.

elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That message has been up more than a couple of days, so I suspect Muff is running behind on that promise, but things ARE much better over there most of the time. There are occasionally slowdowns, but it seems likely that they correlate to the maintenance activities that Muff has added to the server, and they don't seem to be very long lived.
analog_backlash

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just for info, looks like muffwiggler's finally open to the general public again Very Happy .

Gary
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks like :-)
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: