electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
  host / artist show at your time
today> Modulator ESP Adventures In Sound
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » The Repair Shop
problem with marion systems prosynth
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
trans alp

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: problem with marion systems prosynth Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi, this is my first post here ...

i was searching for a marion pro synth for a very long time and finally managed to buy one. the seller stated the synth as NOS and it looks so.

there is only one thing that is annoying ... there is a high frequency "hiss" on four of its eight voices. for example ... when i turn down the filter cutoff to a low value - so that only a sine-like waveform can be heard - there is that high hiss on voices 3/4 and 7/8. it sounds like the high freq portion of the base waveforms is leaking through. this happens on any preset ... so it seems to be an hanrdware issue.

i took a look inside and checked the ic sockets. the only thing that looks not normal is that some of those (many) yellow caps (they are "blob" shaped and i guess they are the ceramic type) in each voice seem to be a bit leaky ... but this also could be just some solder flux. unfortunately i have no camera to docuent this.

is there anyone around who is familar with the marion systems pro synth an experienced something similar or can help me track down the error otherwise?

thanks in advance,
sebastian.
drapdap

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: problem with marion systems prosynth Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi sebastian!

just read your post. i have a marion msr-2. maybe i can help.
i'm not knowlegable at all when it comes to these beasts, but mine is working properly after changing the psu caps and a full reset. im such a happy chap...

could be you have an issue that unit has been switched off for too long, and the power supply is not up to driving the unit properly anymore?
but hard to tell.
the bleed thru are the high frequency drivers for the vco?

measure the psu. i'd start there, rather than messing with the voice board.

robert
trans alp

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi robert, thanks for the reply.

i just have some basic knowledge in electronics, so i checked the caps on the psu only optically and measured the output voltages - wich have the correct value (as printed on the pcb). only one thing was wrong there - there are two voltage regulators (i guess) and one of them had a loose cooling element. is there anything else to check on the psu?

it really could be, that it was switched off for too long. i guess it never ever has been used before.

well, about the bleed thru ... i'm not even shure if it is one Embarassed it also could be distortion. in fact, when i turn down the cutoff, there are some high overtones, that are not supposed to be there. i can make an recording if it halps ...

sebastian.
drapdap

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

trans alp wrote:
i checked the caps on the psu only optically and measured the output voltages - wich have the correct value

fair enough, but then you don't know anything about their capacity.
i'd change them to lot better caps...
but when you're getting the right voltages it's probably ok for now...

also in the first post, are you talking about leaky tantalums around the voices? they could be a culprit, but they go bad for a reason,
they are sensitive to heat and overvoltage. which is pretty easy to do for a bad psu, just let a big spike thru, and there goes your tantalums...

another thing, if you remove the bottom covering of the synth, you'll notice a battery in a socket under the psu. it's a cr2032, change it,
and reset the machine to factory settings... actually do this first, you might get lucky if it turns out just a corrupted memory/os... mine had that too...

trans alp wrote:
well, about the bleed thru ... i'm not even shure if it is one Embarassed it also could be distortion. in fact, when i turn down the cutoff, there are some high overtones, that are not supposed to be there. i can make an recording if it halps ...

sebastian.

yeah, maybe it does... let's listen. Very Happy

r.
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » The Repair Shop
Jump to: