electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
Should I be ashamed of using presets?
Page 1 of 2 [45 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
clementshawes

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Should I be ashamed of using presets?
Subject description: Instead of programming my own modules...
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Instead of (learning) programming sounds, I load up presets and tinker with them; unashamedly using the thing as a device emulation or other type 'player'.

I'm starting to wonder if I maybe ought to replace it with something more 'focused' as this thing is far bigger than me - I freely admit that the draw factor were the huge library of excellent patches and fact I'd be able to educate myself on synthesis over time.

adnauseam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Ashamed of presets Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What is your ultimate end goal:

To make elaborate patches?

To make sounds?

To make music?

Programming can be a big can of worms. And the can gets larger if your goals are misaligned with your tinkering. <- From personal experience Smile
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, shame on you - how can you even look yourself in the mirror!

Wink

Antimon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you think that my previous post was ridiculous in any way, that might be a guide to an answer.

I personally consider the G2 to have the best presets of all synths that I have tried. Granted I haven't owned an enormous amont of synths, but I've tried my hand at a few.

It's perfectly understandable if someone gets a G2 and uses nothing but the presets, because they sound great. It's also perfectly understable if someone erases all presets immediatly after getting it, like I know many have. There is no justice system that will send you to prison if you don't use a synth in the "correct way".

Actually I'm a bit impressed that you are "tinkering" with the presets, as I usually use other's patches undmodified. I find it very difficult to read and understand other peoples' patching (or my own after a year has passed).

clementshawes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is it - I like the idea of one day creating my own patches but then I also have Reaktor (I don't know Reaktor or Nord systems any better than the other, or at all really) which offers *me* more of what I want for effects, I just prefer comparable instrument emulations on the Nord better than their Reaktor counterparts.

I'm just starting to think that the power of the Nord environment is wasted on me when I, now, feel I seek more of VA synth with a dedicated UI than the infinitely endless approach of the Mod'.

Ashamedly, for the purists, I'm seeking something like the Blofeld synth (again); I'm rating the fact I edited, played and recorded with it in the time I had one over the Nord's psiren-like call to open the editor and endure countless aneurysms 'understanding' the flow (I'm not as geeky as I'd ever hoped).

Something I use with ease over banks of patches of emulated classics, wonderfully non-sequitur bleepage and balls-to-wall sounds? Not that the Blofeld can't offer any of this but they're chalk and cheese I know.

clementshawes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've just realised that I've posted in the G2 forum, incorrectly, as I'm referring to G1 rack...

Mods: could you do me a solid and just slide this to the suitable sub-forum please. Apologies for spamming the good folks of G2 Embarassed

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

heh, no problem, will move it, and leave a link here - its all general enough to fit in both sections hmm .. or even in some general discussion area maybe ... Shocked

And now I don't know what to do Laughing

clementshawes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mwhuu ha ha ha ha ha - stage one, unhinge the moderators: complete!
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rolling Eyes

ah, it ended up here, okay Cool

clementshawes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Jan Smile
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There was some other thread somewhere about the subject ... ah: http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-46665.html
clementshawes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks again - I'm not the only one who lays awake at night about these things Smile
robsol
Stream Operator

Audio files: 495

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Never ever feel guilty for being creative, or for not feeling creative enough. Just make stuff and enjoy the process.

I have to tell myself that once in a while...

clementshawes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Muied Lumens wrote:
Never ever feel guilty for being creative, or for not feeling creative enough. Just make stuff and enjoy the process.

+1 Laughing

Manuel Marino

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Muied Lumens wrote:

you said a very wise thing. In any case, whatever you'll do (it's statistics) there will be always thousands saying you are right and thousands saying you are wrong Smile

Just do what you feel is right, have fun, and never ever feel guilty with your being artist.

A E J O T Z

Audio files: 148

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What's wrong with presets? Refusing to use presets is like saying you can't ever use piano or organ or guitar. If you like a sound, play it.

I make original sounds and I use presets. I love having a big library of sounds. I also like finding presets I DON'T like and tweaking them until I like them.

One of my favorite keyboards is a rompler, a Yamaha PSR-520. It's the consumer version of a professional rompler with superb samples of all kinds of instruments. I have long referred to this unit as my orchestra.

But I also use several programmable synthesizers and love to find new patches for them online.

My 1983 synth recordings were done on a Casio MT-65. It had 20 presets and the means to alter the sounds just a little. I made hours of recordings with it and had a blast.

People are different. Some people love making new sounds. I love playing with sounds I like. I don't care if they are old or new or who has used them before. I only care if I like to play them.

free albums at http://aejotz.bandcamp.com
listen to genre-defying synthetic music at http://sat-5.com
DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A E J O T Z wrote:
What's wrong with presets? Refusing to use presets is like saying you can't ever use piano or organ or guitar.

I "refuse" to use presets, yet I do play guitar. I view the (electric) guitar as a kind of synthesizer too and "refuse" to use presets there too.

When I say "refuse", that means I like to make original sounds or at least tweak presets to my liking. In fact, there are very few synth presets that I like as they are, so it becomes a necessity to tweak.

Should clementshawes be ashamed? No way, he should do as he pleases!

Quote:
People are different.

And there we have it Very Happy
FlyTrap

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

To me it would all come down to weather or not you work better using presets that are just sitting there waiting to be used or by making your own patches. I downloaded Nexus not that long ago and deleted after the first hour of using it, but that's just me. Razz Avicii uses presets in Sylenth and Nexus and he is producing some of the best EDM music today!
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FWIW, Mike Paradinas (aka u-ziq) is quoted that he always used presets instead of spending hours programming. I'm not too sure about his later stuff, but definitely his earlier stuff, and look where that got him? If the composition is good, who gives a shit about whether you've used a preset or not?
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
FlyTrap

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:27 am    Post subject: Of Course Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Exactly what i am trying to say, but not as straight forward. Read my comment again.
clementshawes

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
FWIW, Mike Paradinas (aka u-ziq) is quoted that he always used presets instead of spending hours programming. I'm not too sure about his later stuff, but definitely his earlier stuff, and look where that got him? If the composition is good, who gives a shit about whether you've used a preset or not?

I'm a massive u-Ziq fan, the Planet Mu label too; interesting he uses presets, I guess he spends his time on those frenetic beats and juxtaposing noise/bass sounds.

Either way, I've been loving these replies - thank you all for contributing so far Smile

Antimon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I love almost everything Paradinas has done. Amongst other things he has done some tracks with cheesy rompler string sounds - I get a kick from that kind of stuff.
clementshawes

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Which reminds me, I need to get my turntable up and running - still not listened to 'Somerset Avenues' - I'm going to dig out my 'Expert Knob Twiddlers' too - u-Ziq and AFX...

I need something to wash the thought of Avicii out of my senses!

Winterbound

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't think that you should be ashamed for using presets. It's not the preset that counts but the way you use it. When I first started to make music many moons ago I used presets as a fundamental stepping stone while learning my way around a synth and all of it's components. Now I make all of my own patches/presets.

Dark December Album

Winterbound on dark ambient radio vol 3
TysonJenna

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think it's totally okay for a newbie but you should learn more about custom stuff if you want to progress and grow big)
Page 1 of 2 [45 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
Jump to: