electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » ChucK programming language
total newbie to chuck
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
adampoewilson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: total newbie to chuck
Subject description: command line not taking arguments, mini audicle is mierda
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm beginning to think on the whole, the Chuck programming language is a piece of mierda. But before I completely take it off the system, thought it was worth checking into b/c I really don't want to go back to CSound... *that* is a punta to learn!!!!!

EVERY TIME I try to get commands chucked through Chuck, I get this error:

C:\Windows\System32>chuck --shell
welcome to chuck shell!
chuck %> + hanoi.ck
[chuck]: cannot open file 'hanoi.ck' for [add]...
add: error: command failed
chuck %>

Keep in mind that when I downloaded Chuck, I copied, or moved entirely, can't remember which, the 'chuck.exe' to my C:\Windows\System32 folder. I have an elevated Windows Prompt set to start directly in this folder.

I cannot get these files to make sound REGARDLESS OF WHERE THEY ARE AT IN MY COMPUTER!!!!! I don't know mierda about adding stuff to the "path"... and God knows the guys @ Stanford or Princeton won't help... I've tried.

I even found Ge Wang on Twitter & gave him my personal freaking email just to see if he would help. Um.... no.... not yet.

I know that those of you who use Linux or Macs probably will agree with the statement that Windows machines are the ultimate piece of mierda computers.

Unfortunately some of us have to work with what we've got. My ultimate goal is to be able to learn how the heck Yamaha programs their sounds into their synthesizers (and I'm talking Motif level sounds, none of these crappy Arranger keyboards.... Evil or Very Mad )

I would love to work at Yamaha someday either as a product demonstrator or sound programmer.

Hopefully chuck can help me learn a little of how to do that.

Hope someone can help. Thanks!!!!
MusicMan11712

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Several years ago I played around a little with ChucK, so I can understand some of your frustration. I haven't done anything with it in years, so I am not a good person to help sort through the issues you are having.

That being said, I just went into cmd and ran chuck --probe . It successfully listed my audio and midi devices. (I am using WinXP SP3.) Chuck.exe is in my C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder (which is in the path by default, I believe.)

To run Chuck scripts, I used miniAudicle. I just booted it, started the chuck virtual machine, loaded and started moe.ck. It worked. (I am not sure what hanoi.ck does, but I know I had moe, larry, and curly working before.

As I said, I am not a ChucK expert. I just sensed your frustration and wanted to reply in case I could say something that would help you figure out how to get it working on your system.

Maybe some others with more expertise can help you diagnose the problem. Sometimes there are people in electro-music chat and maybe you can find someone there to help interactively.

To help diagnose your problem, I guess all I can ask is:
(1) Does chuck --probe work?
(2) Do you have miniAudicle set up?
(3) Will moe.ck, larry.ck, aand curly.ck run in miniAudicle (or do you get the same eror message)?

Steve

PS: I just looked at hanoi.ck in miniAudicle. I found the output in the Console Monitor.
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » ChucK programming language
Jump to: