electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Reviews, Editorials and Commentary » Commentary and Editorials
Big Media Hall of Shame
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Big Media Hall of Shame Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

On April 18, Lowry Mays, chairman of radio giant Clear Channel, will receive the broadcast industry's "Distinguished Service Award." Distinguished service to whom? Not to you and other Americans. But Lowry isn't alone. He's one among many media kingpins who put their own political and business interests ahead of the public.

Now it's time for you to help free American media from the grip of these shameful men. You decide: who among them has done his utmost to make the media the abomination it is today? Vote for your worst below and on May 14 we will induct the "winner" into the Big Media Hall of Shame.

http://www.freepress.net/hallofshame/

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
opg

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wouldn't worry too much about these guys, even though ClearChannel scares the HELL out of me. Eventually, a technology that cannot possibly be controlled by the FCC could exist (maybe like some sort of Shoutcast NetRadio combined with a satellite walkman in which DJs for many net stations maintain a bandwidth that complies with the FCC, but at the same time agree to play the same playlists). You know, try to find a grey area between broadcasting and narrowcasting.

My dream is to have satellite radio on a walkman device, but have it play any station you could already pick up on the internet, no matter what streaming format it was. So, if I wanted to listen to Kohina's Commodore 64 NetRadio, or EM411's radio, or Micromusic's radio - not some garbage on Sirius or XM - I could do that. The key is to make sure that there are tons of Kohina addresses to log onto, in which none of those addresses could support a large enough amount of listeners to violate any FCC regulations. And the broadcaster for each address plays the same playlists but doesn't affiliate itself with one another in such a way that it could be interpreted by the FCC as one company with a huge audience.

Just a thought...
Mohoyoho

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Podcasting sort of approaches that concept. Although not as extensive as you have described.
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
http://cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck2
http://www.limitedwave.com/subterraneous/
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

opg wrote:
I wouldn't worry too much about these guys, even though ClearChannel scares the HELL out of me. Eventually, a technology that cannot possibly be controlled by the FCC could exist

Not likely. Broadcasting is broadcasting. An alternative technology would still be broadcasting and the industry would move fast in order to kill the tech or take it over. This is of course what this really is about. How is it possibly to give private enterprises complete control over broadcasting? Shocked

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's American capitalism without a conscience. In the USA, the national forests are harvested. The government sells licenses to the big lumber companies for a song and the companies make huge profits taking the peoples' natural resources. They keep this corrupt process alive with campaign contributions.

The government sells oil rights the same way. That's what the development of the Alaska oil fields is about. When Congressmen are bought with contributions from oil companies, they pass a law allowing the sale of cheap lisences to the big oil companies. The companies may huge profits which is partially used for contributions to the congress. This is quite different from Norway where the government keeps most of the profits from the oil and pays oil companies a reasonable fee to extract it.

The big media compnaines pay off the governement the same way.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dmosc

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sounds like mosc is as green as I am. Nader preaches the gospel of government supporting not the people but the corporations and their money. We live in a tyranny of the rich instead of the british crown.

Therefor, I vote for the genuinely evil people who figured out the only way people would realize this is through journalism and free press and consequently bought every newspaper, tv station, and radio station, or anything else with a reader distribution substantial enough to interfere with their world domination goals.
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Seems like the public is falling asleep. drifting into a dystopian dream that will last forever.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
dmosc

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

"American Idiot"

Don't wanna be an American idiot.
Don't want a nation under the new mania.
And can you hear the sound of hysteria?
The subliminal mind fuck America.

Welcome to a new kind of tension.
All across the alienation.
Everything isn't meant to be okay.
Television dreams of tomorrow.
We're not the ones who're meant to follow.
For that's enough to argue.

Well maybe I'm the faggot America.
I'm not a part of a redneck agenda.
Now everybody do the propaganda.
And sing along in the age of paranoia.

Don't wanna be an American idiot.
One nation controlled by the media.
Information age of hysteria.
It's calling out to idiot America.

-Greenday
opg

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

"The government don't control the skies! What if you lived in a balloon?" - Abe Simpson

We all know it's going to boil down to some Asimov-type lifestyle where people will have microchips planted in their brains that will recieve information via satellite and transmit it to your ears and eyes. You will eventually be able to choose your own "world wallpaper" or "shell replacement" to make the crumbling buildings, traffic jams, and "ugly" people look and sound like whatever you want. Instead of being suck on West Chester Pike for 45 minutes on the way to work, I and everyone else could be rendered as a character from MarioKart, complete with classic NES sound effects. When you want to watch a film, you just think of the huge corporation that distributes the film and it will play in your head like a very mediocre dream.

That idea kinda makes me want to sit on a cinderblock in the dirt with no shoes on and eat corn on the cob.
DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

opg,
Quote:
"The government don't control the skies! What if you lived in a balloon?" - Abe Simpson

Regrettably, in this day and age governments do control the skies.... now, perhaps under- ground/water is an option. I have my land on the Moon and Mars secured, just in case Smile

As for the total media (or equivalent) control - with niceties projected in you head and whatnot: todays recommended book is "The Futurological Congress" by Stanislaw Lem.

DJ
--

[editor's note: added picture --mosc Cool ]
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Reviews, Editorials and Commentary » Commentary and Editorials
Jump to: