electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
the Moon Base Xplorer
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 3 of 4 [84 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yesterday I wired up the patchmatrix, which actually went quicker then I expected, and mounting the PCB turned out too be pretty easy too Very Happy
I only had time for a short test, and allthough it seemed to be working (without any smoke) I noticed 3 problems.

The first problem was that AD/AR generator 1 sometimes doesn't work. I had noticed this before I installed the patchmatrix and tested all the
modules. But I thought I solved it after removing a bit of solder, so I guess that wasn't it. The fact that it's an intermittent problem makes
it hard to find, but maybe it's just a bad chip (it worked before though). So I'll try replacing it and see if that helps.

The second problem was that I got some weird behaviour from the patchmatrix. For instance when I patched the PWLFO to OSC I, not only did OSC
get triggered but AD/AR 1, AD/AR 2 and the random generator aswell. And this happened with several combination but not in a way that some things
could be shorted, And everything seems to be wired up in the correct order.

The third problem was that it produces absolutly no sound,. no buzzing either so that's a plus. But the fact that it's silent makes me think
it might be something very simple like a connection on the PCB I forgot, or maybe just a bad cable going to the output jack. I did try
listening to all the outputs using the patchmatrix, and that works as expected.

I just had some time to do more testing to see if I could figure out what's wrong with the patchmatrix. Since the inputs of all the
modules are directly connected to the outputs of CMOS gates then whatever is causing it is having an effect on those gates, either on the
inputs or through the power (or internal). When the inputs aren't patched up they should get pulled to a low state, which is why a used a 47K
pulldown and 100K pullup resistor. So I decided to do some measurements:
On the inputs that are directly connected to the 47K pulldown resistor I measured 3.58V and on the other inputs, connected to the 100K
pullup and through the diodes to the 47K pulldown resistor, I measured 4.38V.

So I had a look at the datasheet and for the chip I used (ST Microelectronics HCF4081) it states that the maximum low level voltage is
3V @ 10V Vdd and 4V @ 15V Vdd, so with a voltage of 12V it should be somewhere in between. The 3.58V might just do but the 4.38 is too high and
could cause problems. So I made some new calculations setting the max voltage at 3V and for that I had to replace the 100K pullup resistors with
200K ones. I just did another test, and now the patchmatrix works perfect Laughing no more false triggering and the AND function when patching more
outputs to one input works too. Also the connectors might not be so bad afterall, as I mentioned they don't really fit, but do just make contact
when just slightly pushed on, which also makes them easy to remove.

I'm going to try another chip in the ADAR generator now to see if that helps, and I hope to solve the audio problem in the next 2 days, or else in
the weekend. (I want to have it fully working before the end of the year Cool)

Moon Base Xplorer PATCHMATRIX.gif
 Description:
the Moon Base Xplorer: updated patchmatrix schematic
 Filesize:  140.45 KB
 Viewed:  799 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Moon Base Xplorer PATCHMATRIX.gif

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

After a bit more cleaning with a small screwdriver and a brush ADAR 1 seems to be working now, but I thought that the last time,. so I'll see what
happens after some more testing. I also got sound now, allthough I didn't get any magic smoke I did feel some heat coming from the VC mixer /delay
PCB Shocked . Turned out I had inserted the quad opamp the wrong way, ahum,. and for some reason this fried the delay chip which got prettty warm. Sad

Luckely I do have another one of those chips but before I'm going to test that there is something else which isn't right; the output from the VCO SUB
channel is much softer then the other channels (VC mixer seems to work fine btw). It's correct up to the buffer opamp (voltage follower) but there's not
much coming out of it. It could be that the input voltage is just too high, so I am going to try adding a voltage divider (I can always amplify it more in the
mixer section if needed).

edit: replacing the opamp fixed it, and with a new chip the delay works too Cool

rendeer

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So far everything seems to be working now. Laughing
But there are 2 things I might change, first of all the random/noise generator has an on/off switch that disconnects the CLK input. For the analog output
this is very usefull because I can put it on hold at a certain CV output, however the digital output can be high or low. So I'm thinking about installing a double
pole switch that turns off the digital output aswell. The other thing is the gate input on the VCO, right now I always have to patch up something to turn it
on and the only thing I can use that doesn't oscillate is the PWLFO at a 100/0 pulsewidth. but then I can't use it for anything else. Installing a switch is not
really an option, I mean it's possible but has a high risk of damaging the front. But I might be able to change the patchmatrix to have a high output
for the VCO gate when nothing is plugged in.

I also have to short all the connectors for the patchmatrix, else they won't do anything of course. But just for fun I tested what happens when you do
it with an LED and with a bright low current one (like blue) they actually light up or blink Shocked no idea what happens when you use a bunch at
once and it might get a bit too confusing with so many LED's, but worth a try I think. Cool

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: the Moon Base Xplorer
Subject description: wiring pics
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

some photo's of the wiring on the backside of the panels. I'm out of small cable ties so the big panel is a bit of a mess,. allthough it will probably not
make a whole lot of a difference.

Moon Base Xplorer - frontpanel A back.jpg
 Description:
backside of panel A
 Filesize:  168.26 KB
 Viewed:  722 Time(s)

Moon Base Xplorer - frontpanel A back.jpg

Moon Base Xplorer - frontpanel B back.jpg
 Description:
backside of panel B
 Filesize:  157.9 KB
 Viewed:  724 Time(s)

Moon Base Xplorer - frontpanel B back.jpg

DUBmatze

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Phobos a verry verry nice mashine and a great Demo!

by a mistake i mixed the mp3 demo from 27:00 with this:

https://soundcloud.com/miles-won-5d/5d-gen-rat-ot-tr-version-2
(not from me ....)

and i get the real "dark side of the moon christmas feeling" Wink
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
After a bit more cleaning with a small screwdriver and a brush ADAR 1 seems to be working now, but I thought that the last time,. so I'll see what
happens after some more testing.

nope that wasn't it. So I just replaced the the transistor that's connected to the trigger input of the 555 and that seems to have solved it,. (I hope)
some extra about info about this transistor: when I was trying to find out why the ADAR wasn't working before I noticed that in AD mode the transistor is
always 'on', and therefor the trigger input of the 555 is low. I did some calculations and measurements and the voltage at the base is ±1V which
get's pulled down to .65 by the transistor. So apparently you can trigger a 555 by holding the trigger input at a low level and making the reset input
high. In AR mode the transistor switches as it should.

The patchconnectors with LED's are great Very Happy,. it actually makes it pretty easy to see which connector is doing what. And because they are diodes
the AND function doesn't work when using multiple connectors, instead it becomes an OR gate. So now I have even more options Laughing

I swapped the pullup/pulldown resistors in the patchmatrix for the VCO gate output (so it's on with nothing connected) and because of this the
LED's hardly light up when used there. But that's an extra bonus anyway.

oh and a flickering teacandle LED works too Shocked

Moon Base Xplorations - Cover Art.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  408.6 KB
 Viewed:  432 Time(s)

Moon Base Xplorations - Cover Art.jpg

PHOBoS - Moon Base Xplorer - Moon Base Xplorations 00 (Dec 26, 2013).mp3
 Description:
Moon Base Xplorer sounds.

Download
 Filename:  PHOBoS - Moon Base Xplorer - Moon Base Xplorations 00 (Dec 26, 2013).mp3
 Filesize:  5.31 MB
 Downloaded:  1383 Time(s)

PHOBoS - Moon Base Xplorer - Moon Base Xplorations 01 (Dec 26, 2013).mp3
 Description:
Moon Base Xplorer sounds.

Download
 Filename:  PHOBoS - Moon Base Xplorer - Moon Base Xplorations 01 (Dec 26, 2013).mp3
 Filesize:  11.32 MB
 Downloaded:  1460 Time(s)

Last edited by PHOBoS on Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
richardc64

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: the Moon Base Xplorer

Dude...is this some kind of d.i.y. marathon? Laughing

PHOBoS wrote:
I'm out of small cable ties so the big panel is a bit of a mess...

I use insulated solid wire as twist-ties.

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DUBmatze wrote:
Phobos a verry verry nice mashine and a great Demo!

by a mistake i mixed the mp3 demo from 27:00 with this:

https://soundcloud.com/miles-won-5d/5d-gen-rat-ot-tr-version-2
(not from me ....)

and i get the real "dark side of the moon christmas feeling" Wink

o wow,. that works great together! thanks for mentioning it happy smoker banana

(it is of course capable of producing all kinds of dubsirens and bleeps Wink)

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: the Moon Base Xplorer

richardc64 wrote:
I use insulated solid wire as twist-ties.

yep that works too thumb up . I've also done the lacing thing using stranded wire, it's a bit more work, but usually gives very nice results.

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: It is Finished :) Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I got the knobs in time to finish it just before the end of the year Cool

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

more photo's here.

and here's another Xploration (more to come)

PHOBoS - Moon Base Xplorations (Dec 26, 2013) - 02. Undiscovered Territory.mp3
 Description:
what's that, and why is it doing this ?

Download
 Filename:  PHOBoS - Moon Base Xplorations (Dec 26, 2013) - 02. Undiscovered Territory.mp3
 Filesize:  9.64 MB
 Downloaded:  1441 Time(s)

Last edited by PHOBoS on Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: the Moon Base Xplorer
Subject description: demo sounds

2 more parts Cool

PHOBoS - Moon Base Xplorations (Dec 26, 2013) - 04. Cloudbuster.mp3
 Description:
with orgone propulsion.

Download
 Filename:  PHOBoS - Moon Base Xplorations (Dec 26, 2013) - 04. Cloudbuster.mp3
 Filesize:  6.52 MB
 Downloaded:  1364 Time(s)

PHOBoS - Moon Base Xplorations (Dec 26, 2013) - 07. Intergalactic Traffic.mp3
 Description:
busy traffic on the interstellar highway.

Download
 Filename:  PHOBoS - Moon Base Xplorations (Dec 26, 2013) - 07. Intergalactic Traffic.mp3
 Filesize:  10.89 MB
 Downloaded:  1277 Time(s)

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

and here's a long drone section.

PHOBoS - Moon Base Xplorations (Dec 26, 2013) - 09. Lost in Space.mp3
 Description:
I think I took a wrong turn somewhere, but it's kinda nice here.

Download
 Filename:  PHOBoS - Moon Base Xplorations (Dec 26, 2013) - 09. Lost in Space.mp3
 Filesize:  29.4 MB
 Downloaded:  1229 Time(s)

Zodiak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks PHOBos, reading that has brought a huge smile to my face Very Happy
RingMad

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Once again an amazing build, PHOBoS! I like your attention to detail. And thanks for posting the construction details... I'm sure some of those circuits will come in handy one day.

-- James.
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks James! I hope it'll be useful Cool
and I'm glad it made you smile Stephan Very Happy

here are two more Xplorations:

PHOBoS - Moon Base Xplorations (Dec 26, 2013) - 15. Mirror Shine.mp3
 Description:
wax on, wax off.

Download
 Filename:  PHOBoS - Moon Base Xplorations (Dec 26, 2013) - 15. Mirror Shine.mp3
 Filesize:  4.62 MB
 Downloaded:  1212 Time(s)

PHOBoS - Moon Base Xplorations (Dec 26, 2013) - 16. Noisey fluff.mp3
 Description:
cotton balls passing through a jet engine, and maybe some other things too.

Download
 Filename:  PHOBoS - Moon Base Xplorations (Dec 26, 2013) - 16. Noisey fluff.mp3
 Filesize:  5.88 MB
 Downloaded:  1133 Time(s)

RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Really nice job and great sounds. Congrats!

"I want to make these sounds that go wooo-wooo-ah-woo-woo.”
(Herb Deutsch to Bob Moog ~1963)
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject: another Xploration! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks RF Very Happy

here's another Xploration.

PHOBoS - Moon Base Xplorations (Dec 26, 2013) - 17. Space & Bass.mp3
 Description:
unintelligent dance music

Download
 Filename:  PHOBoS - Moon Base Xplorations (Dec 26, 2013) - 17. Space & Bass.mp3
 Filesize:  22.79 MB
 Downloaded:  1181 Time(s)

Ruebezahl

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just want to tell that i love this project. Its really inspiring!
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

that's great to hear Very Happy
isak

Audio files: 18

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi PHOBoS this is amazing work Shocked
looks like Arcade synth Wink
Well done!

Cheers,
Isak.

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Isak Very Happy
beepetc.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yo! Super cool stuff PHOBoS! It's beautiful!

I'm building a small 9v synth, for a little educational DIY workshop. So far I've just stolen your old version of the ADAR envelope generator (with the AD/AR switch and the BJT) and combined it with Synthmongers' super simple saw VCO. However I'm getting some very weird behavior from the ADAR. The Attack and Decay knobs are kind of unpredictable in their behavior and when it's triggered it starts looping constantly. Have you experienced anything similar?

PS: Super awesome people on this super awesome forum, thanks for sharing, helping and doing such an awesome job.

The manual gate screws up the trig/gate inputs, but I'm thinking of a workaround. Perhaps changing the DPDT switch to a 3P3T and routing it through that.

Thanks in advance! (Am I doing this right, or should I make a dedicated thread for this?)

34909191_10156822092104063_3582721062439223296_n (1).png
 Description:
This is the schematic. If you have any ideas or comments, I'd love to hear it.
 Filesize:  55.77 KB
 Viewed:  308 Time(s)

34909191_10156822092104063_3582721062439223296_n (1).png

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi beepetc. Smile

It Looks like you made the AD/AR from the Lun-A-Key which is very similar.

Not drawn in this schematic is a capacitor connected to the trigger input because for that one I used a seperate circuit
to create a short pulse instead. so for reference here's the one from the Moon Base Xplorer which does have that capacitor.

The transistor and the resistors connected to it just act as an inverter so it works the same as using the 40106. However in
the Lun-A-Key the gate/trigger input is hardwired to the output of a 555, in your case you should add a resistor (~100K) to
Ground at the input of the inverter (pin3 of IC2B). This might solve the problems you are experiencing right now.

Also the manual trigger won't work they way you've drawn it, you won't need that capacitor so you can connect the switch directly
to the input, but you should add a diode in series with the gate/trigger input so it doesn't cause any problems if you use the maual
trigger with something else plugged in.

For testing to see if it works correct I would disconnect T4 and measure the voltage over C4, this way you can be certain
that it is not something else creating any problems.

and yes, this place is awesome Very Happy

(it's perfectly fine to post here although a seperate thread might get a little bit more attention, but people in this lunetta section
usually seem to find every recent post)

beepetc.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The gate/trig problem was a mistake, when we transferred the pencil-drawing to eagle. Thanks for pointing the OR combiner out, I don't know how I could miss it. <3 I guess I couldn't see the forest for the trees.

Quote:
The transistor and the resistors connected to it just act as an inverter so it works the same as using the 40106. However in
the Lun-A-Key the gate/trigger input is hardwired to the output of a 555, in your case you should add a resistor (~100K) to
Ground at the input of the inverter (pin3 of IC2B). This might solve the problems you are experiencing right now.

That worked! No more unstable looping envelope. Thank you!

The VCA is acting strange, so does the EG. It retriggers after release. But it does sends the voltage at the VCA out, sky high and doesn't let the sound from the oscillator out, until the release has come down. I'll fiddle around with the breadboard after the weekend, to see what happens if I change the resistor values connected to T4 and T7. I tried building another board, with had sound bleeding through T7 and no results with the AR, so I have to fool around with it a bit more.

Thanks for the fast and helpful response. c:
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

good to hear that was helpful Smile

The VCA section might not work well because of the voltage levels from the VCO. That's a downside of those simple VCA's, they have their limitations
and usually need some experimenting. In case you haven't seen it yet there is an interesting thread here.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 3 of 4 [84 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: