electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
4040 troubles
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Feifer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: 4040 troubles Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all,
I'm having problems with this chip and was hoping someone out there could help me out. For some reason timing diagrams are hard to come by in data sheets for this chip. The only one I could find was for the MC14040, which jameco says is the same thing. http://www.jameco.com/Jameco/Products/ProdDS/12950MOT.pdf

The way I have it set up is since it triggers on a falling edge, I have my clock pulses going through an inverter. So when the clock is off, the input is held high. I have a push button going from V+ to reset and when I push it, all Qs go low, as they should. The problem is when I release it, Q1 goes high, which, according to the timing diagram it shouldn't do until the input goes low. Is the CD4040 set up slightly different? Any way I could get around this?
Thanks
Feifer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay. For a stupid little chip with only 2 inputs, this gremlin is being really hard to track down. I put it back on the bread board and it works just fine. I put it in the socket on the pcb (exact same circuit) and it does it's weird game. Ready to throw this thing at the wall.
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does your clocking source have some bounce in it? Breadboards have lots of extra capacitance, perhaps that's filtering out some stray glitches that your PCB is seeing?

I'd try putting a cap on the input, something like the RC Debouncer shown in this doc:

http://www.eng.utah.edu/~cs5780/debouncing.pdf
Feifer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well I found the culprit. I had a capacitor on the reset input tied to V+ meant to initialize the chip upon power up. Not entirely necessary but a nice little feature. Why it was working on the breadboard but not on the pcb I have no idea.
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: