electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
drive a light bulb
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
DUBmatze

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:49 am    Post subject: drive a light bulb Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

i have here a pack of switches with a "lamp" inside. my lunetta is running on 5V. The lamps in the switches have 6V 60mA. the blub glows bright enouth when i conect it to the 5V direct. Now i want to drive my (audio)circuit with a slow pulse from a 4093 an the button shud blink with that pulse. the output of the 4093 isnt strong enouth to drive the audio circuit with the lamp. (mutch deeper sound with the lamp, the lamp look a bit like just awaken - pale in face ....) so i try to buffer the output with a 4050 (or 2x 4093 gates) - the same.

when i use this (my circuit replace the LED1 and R1):

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

i change the ground of the audio circuit (4093, 4046, the lamp) and when i conect somthing to it the transistor is shortcuted.

so my idea was using a switch like 4016 / 4066 to switch the circuit on off (just conect 5V to a IN and use a OUT for the rest of the circuit). but i read in the data sheet it drives like 10mA on each switch. (and i dont have any of this ICs here for a quick breadboarding)

i think i must use a transistor to switch the thing on and off, but a pnp not a npn like beavis do it in his example. But dont know realy how - iam not really familiar with transistors. can some1 explain this to a transistor noob? (after reading a bit iam confused about biasing and stuff...) - i got a pack of bc557 here...
PHOBoS

Audio files: 346

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: drive a light bulb Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think you only need to drive the lamp with a transistor,. the rest is probably low current enough to be driven from a CMOS gate,
but I would have to see the circuit first to be sure.

If you use the circuit above (but with a 4093) you can just replace the LED and resistor with the lamp, and use the LFO output to power the rest
of the (audio) circuit. You could add another transistor for this, I would suggest to look up what an emitter follower / common collector amplifier is and does. Cool

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DUBmatze

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks phobos for the fast reply.
i made a quick and diry schematic ....
Shocked

lamp 1 - should light up when a trigger or a gate comes in. or when sw1 is pressed an a LFO signal is coming in

lamp 2 - should flash in the speed of the second LFO - problem here is the Power of the 2nd lfo is getting lower by time

the part with the "decay" and the vco is a bit simplified. its like my dubsiren in http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-60199.html

the output of this will go to a pt2399delay (running on 5V)
Cynosure
Site Admin

Audio files: 34

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Maybe I am missing something, but I don't see the transistor driver in your schematic.

Also, one thing to keep in mind is that different transistors will accomplish the job better than others - especially when the rate gets high. Back in March I was experimenting with something similar, but driving an LED, and it got a lot brighter with a MOSFET transistor than with a 3904.
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ah I see, you're charging a cap and using the discharging as a decay. In that case (with such a big cap) it's not a good idea to drive it directly from
a CMOS gate because of the inrush current. A transistor should work, but if you take a 555 timer chip (which can supply up to 500mA) in monostable
mode, you could control the pulse width (=charge time) aswell.

I also noticed that you're connecting the outputs of the gates together which you shouldn't do (unless it's a three state output gate,. but that's a
different story) because if one output is high and the other is low you're basically shorting them. It's better to use an OR gate which can be made
with diodes and a resistor. (mickey mouse logic)

The zenerdiode on the input will work, but I would add a current limiting resistor for the external input. You could also use a standard diode
between the input and +5V, since you're limiting it to the supply voltage. To protect against negative voltages aswell you'd need a second diode to
GND. So then it's a choice between 2 standard diodes or 1 zenerdiode.

The second lamp shouldn't be a problem if you use a transistor to drive it (as in the circuit from beavisaudio) as long as you connect it to +5V, so
not to the switched supply.

I'll redraw the circuit with some changes/suggestions and post it later. Cool

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's a schematic with a monostable 555 as suggested. (DON"T use a CMOS version). The diodes and pullup resistor form an OR gate with inverted
inputs and output, which is the same as an AND gate Wink, that triggers the 555. I can't guarantee that Lamp2 will work correctly, but if you notice that it
affects the sound too much you could try adding two extra NAND gates in series as a buffer before the transistor (I don't see any other gates of that
4093 chip used in this schematic).

DUBmatze siren.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  50.41 KB
 Viewed:  66 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

DUBmatze siren.gif

DUBmatze

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

holy s....
thanks phobos - this is great!

unfortunately i dont have a 555 or 556 at home atm.. (was searching the last 30min. iam close to kill this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvJS1Bi5fmA but the kids ....)

this is what i have on my breadboard now. (i hope i painted it rigth)
the transistor ist strong enouth to drive the ICs (4046, 4093). the lamp is working to. while i see the chaos around here i was a bit cleaning up. i taped the piezo in the box (alu) and now it isnt senitiv enouth (not with the zehner, not with the 2 1n4148)... it was working like a charm while it was in my "radom-breadboard-parts-tupperbox"... now i haver to search a hammer for more testing...
Embarassed

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah,. if you're a using the box from the picture I can see why that's a problem. That's a nice solid box Smile but that also means there won't be much
vibrations for the piezo to pick up. You could try to amplify the signal somehow but it's probably easier and works better if you mount it on top
and cover it with something (mousepads are useful).

Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: