electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Reviews, Editorials and Commentary » Reviews, Reports and Interviews
review of "Charmed" by Acid Trash
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
A E J O T Z

Audio files: 148

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:02 am    Post subject: review of "Charmed" by Acid Trash Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is a review of the CD-album "Charmed" by Acid Trash. Per American grammatical convention I shall herein refer to the group "Acid Trash" in the singular, thus making me sound like an idiot to non-American readers. Let us proceed.

Acid Trash, an Experimental Electronic Music collective comprised of international artists PHOBoS, Jukka-Pekka, 1:11, Scott K and Mateo, uses electronic devices to combine different kinds of sounds, just like every other producer of EEM. But unlike the typical cat-walking-on-a-keyboard EEM "background music", AT creates adventurous sound-collages that abduct your attention and molest your imagination.

"Charmed" is the name of AT's latest CD-album. It is intended as the first of three releases representing different facets of AT's mad aural universe, this one purporting to present their "lighter poppier side." Saying "the lighter poppier side of Acid Trash" is like saying "the easy listening side of Yngwie Malmsteen." It's true there's an abundance of catchy poppy grooves but none endure long before being gurned, cranched or transmogrified into something unpredictable and, like it says on the box, Tragically Delicious!

Ah yes, the box. In keeping with the theme of light poppy acid-trashiness, the disc is packaged inside a brightly-colored box of Acid Trash breakfast cereal. Yes, I'm serious. No, I didn't eat any of it. I was afraid it might contain magic toads or something. The box also yielded a couple of secret surprises. (Shh. It's a secret.) What the CD should have come with is a seatbelt, not because the ride is so wild that you might be thrown from the vehicle, but just to help you find your ass when the ride is over.

I won't bore you with a pointless play-by-play. Much of what I "heard" was individually subjective. AT music isn't meticulously engineered to trigger some specific reflex on the listener's part. This isn't "God Bless the USA" (translation: "salute and buy this record!"). This is pure creativity, cybernetically assisted and infused with honest serendipity. If you think you hear a musical cliche, just wait. It's about to be kicked in its musical nuts.

I can describe this CD-album in one f-word: fun. Unlike so many "artistes" who take themselves way too seriously, Acid Trash isn't afraid to have fun. And nowhere in their catalog is this more evident than in "Charmed."

"Charmed" is currently my favorite of 600+ CDs I own. But I'm almost as weird as they are, so who am I to judge.

You can listen to three sample cuts from "Charmed" at http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?highlight=charmed&t=59713

Then you can order your copy of "Charmed" and check out the other cool Acid Trash stuff at www.acidtrash.com You'd better hurry; "Charmed" is a very limited release of 35 copies (mine is #14)!

free albums at http://aejotz.bandcamp.com
listen to genre-defying synthetic music at http://sat-5.com

Last edited by A E J O T Z on Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:23 pm; edited 3 times in total
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the great review AEJOTZ ! Very Happy I'm glad you enjoy the album.
I received my own copy this week, and allthough I'm biased (but maybe also
more critical) I agree that it's a very fun album with a great collection of tracks.

I myself couldn't resist tasting some of the cereal while listening to it btw Wink

AcidTrasH - Charmed.jpg
 Description:
AcidTrasH - "Charmed" album
 Filesize:  54.99 KB
 Viewed:  585 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

AcidTrasH - Charmed.jpg

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
1:11

Audio files: 109

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AEJOTZ- THANK YOU!! Very Happy
SMiling ear to ear over here! We really appreciate you taking the time to do such a fantastic write-up. More than that, we're happy as hell to know you're into our gobbldy-gook and get us COMPLETELY!

Some notes:
We're extending the idea of it being a trilogy, and expanding it to Seven releases (The Seven C's, for "commercial") 3 of which will be cereal boxes ("pop music-ish") and 3 skulls (Noise), and one "special" commercial item. All of them likely to be limited to 35 copies each.

Cereal: EAT AT YOUR OWN RISK!! LOL
We don't touch the cereal, but it's prolly stale by the time folks get it. i would say so far, most people ARE eating it. But that goes against everything mom taught with accepting candy from strangers and all that.

Thanks again, AEJOTZ. Your support means a lot! Smile

etc.
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Reviews, Editorials and Commentary » Reviews, Reports and Interviews
Jump to: