electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
4mm or 3.5mm Jack
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Zodiak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: 4mm or 3.5mm Jack Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have started rebuilding my old kit onto euro-rack panels staying with my beloved 4mm bananas, however everybody else in euro-rack land is using 3.5mm, does anybody have an specific experiences that might help me decide if I want to change over please?
Dave Kendall

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some thoughts. .

The major advantages of 3.5mm jacks are probably normalisation, and compatibility with standard eurorack modules. Normalisation can cut down the number of front panel components per module, and in a DIY or heavily customised system can provide a large amount of module integration, where a favourite set of routings is made with no jacks patched, but this can be overridden with patch cords.
They are usually much smaller than bananas, and many designs use them mounted directly on PCBs.

The downside is that 3.5mm is slightly less reliable than banana. Bananas are self cleaning, and they have no switching connection to potentially fail. I'm sure you've used patchbays with crackly connections before - same problem.

You can also stack nanas, which saves on multiples, and wiring them is simpler and faster. As long as you provide a dedicated signal Ground connection or two per rack, there should be no issues connecting with other racks, be they nana or 3.5mm.

I've seen a few pics of "EuNana" systems, and if you're customising anyway, it should be no problem to stick with nanas if you like them. Conversion cables are easy enough to make if you need to interface with 3.5mm.

cheers,
Dave

Zodiak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Dave, that's pretty much what I was thinking, apart from the last bit and you are right, it really helped having somebody else give an opinion Smile

I really do prefer Bananas and I think that I will probably stick with them.

Other points not covered are
(1) Nanas come in different colours which makes it easier to get the right one in a hurry or dim light
(2) The panel I have just built is 3mm (+laminate) thick. Nanas eat that thickness up, 3.5mm jacks are struggling
(3) When was the last time somebody connected two 3.5 mms jack with a paper clip? With nans you can. Smile
(4) If I forget my leads to a gig, then I can always use lengths of stripped down mains cable and just stuff them in Smile

I giuess I have really

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 125
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like bananas too. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: