electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Trying to figure out Dividers
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
acidblue

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Trying to figure out Dividers Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Could some one please explain to me Dividers, specifically the cd4040 divider.

Should I put the reset to ground, (thru a resistor perhaps).
What goes into the clock pin? Is a VCO ok? or does it have to be pulse, like an LFO??

My understanding is it will divide the signal, (VCO?) by 2,4,6,8 and so on
thru Q1-Q12.

How do I connect the outs, (Q1-Q12)?
Can I put them into a mixer?
Will it give me a sequence??

Please forgive my ignorance, I've been looking at data sheets, but
the ones I've looked at dont give an example circuit.
Which is what I need, a few schems would be great.
commathe

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The 4040 and 4060 are just chained flip flops. From the fairchild semiconductor datasheet:

The counters are advanced one count on the
negative transition of each clock pulse. The counters are
reset to the zero state by a logical “1” at the reset input
independent of clock.

This means that every time the input (clock pulse) goes from high to low the output from at least one pin will change. Think of it like this:
Code:
IN -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
/2 --__--__--__--__
/4 ----____----____
/8 --------________

Except in reality I think it's a little more like this (due to the changes happening on the negative transition so notice that the output changes every time the output above it goes from high to low):
Code:
IN -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
/2 -__--__--__--__-
/4 -____----____---
/8 -________-------

As for your question about the reset: if you are not planning to use it then tie it to ground. It resets everything when it goes high. If you are going to use it, then tie it to ground with a 10k "pull-down" resistor.

Technically, the input doesn't have to be an oscillator. You can use it with pulse chains and pretty much any digital logic input.

A lot of people who make modular systems will just wire up each output to its own output jack, that way you can do whatever you want with them! You can use them to create heavy sub-octaves and create clocks at half the speed of other clocks for synchronization
acidblue

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Was thinking of outputting the 4040 into a simple R2R ladder.
Then into a VCO so I get a sort of step sequence. i think

I have some 47k and 100k r's for the ladder, should work.
Was looking at Phobo's triple ladder here:
http://electro-music.com/forum/phpbb-files/modlunetta_tripler2r_v2_528.gif

But i dont think I need one that complex, for now.
Time to do some breadboarding, I'll be back Wink
commathe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would say build the r2r ladder as a separate module as they are very useful. If you do what you are saying then you will get some sort of sequence, but if you don't solder them together, and leave it patchable, then you have a huge variety of sequences you can make.

Also, if you use a fast enough square wave you can use a divider and an r2r ladder to make stepped waveforms
acidblue

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

commathe wrote:
I would say build the r2r ladder as a separate module as they are very useful. If you do what you are saying then you will get some sort of sequence, but if you don't solder them together, and leave it patchable, then you have a huge variety of sequences you can make.

Also, if you use a fast enough square wave you can use a divider and an r2r ladder to make stepped waveforms

Ha Ha, you read my mind, plus I didn't have enough room on my bread board
so I put the R2R on a Pluto Board.
I'm gonna try this:
LFO into the 4040 >>> R2R >>> VCO.

The VCO Im using has a trig out so could I try:
Trig out >>> 4040 >>> R2R >>> back to VCO ???

R2R_Ladder.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  116.85 KB
 Viewed:  28 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

R2R_Ladder.jpg

commathe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Of course you can try it! Can't tell you how it's going to sound though Razz
JingleJoe

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've done this quite a lot and I feel I need to clarify that logic/digital circuits can usually only accept pulse/square waves as thier input, what you're talking about in the first post kinda confuses the concept: you just need a pulse wave, the frequency doesn't matter Smile only the voltage.

the 4040 itself will really give you octaves below the input. (e.g. input frequency divided by 8, if output "3" is selected) so if you put in a frequency of 100 Hz you get frequencies of 50, 25, 12.5, 6.25, 3.15 and so on, halving with each successive division. commanthe gives a great example with textual waveforms Smile

some inputs of cmos ICs require a pull up or pull down resistor depending on other parts of the circuit, but rarely ever a resistor in series. However, make sure you allways connect your inputs ot something, even if they are not used, or your circuit will malfunction because the high impedence inputs pick up random electromagnetic fields in the air!

Your suggested circuit yeilds some great and very fun results. Very Happy

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
commathe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Jingle Joe! I guess I maybe wasn't clear about the fact that it had to be a pulse input (digital logic). I also had no idea problems coming from not tying unused pins to ground caused problems because of that!
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: