electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
the CMOS dub drum
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
DUBmatze

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: the CMOS dub drum Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

iam close to my 3rd year in the electronic dungeon now...
(i learn the most in this forum, thank you Lunetta heads,very special ty phobos)

here is my new CMOS "drum". nice for dubbing. i used an old joystick out of a Playstation One controller.

the drum is only half ready - but cant finish it iam so happy with testing. Wink
salut happy smoker bounce salut

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

iam starting now some quick recordings...
DUBmatze

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

and a quick recording:
(needs better echo..)
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice one! took me a couple minutes to figure out you put a VCA at the end Very Happy
Did you need the extra diode on the output to get it silent ? A capacitor would
make more sense, but it sounds like it's working great as it is.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
commathe

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Would putting a pot between the 10u cap to ground and ground change the decay possibly? Maybe you could use a smaller cap and a pot? This is sheer guesswork tough
DUBmatze

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
Nice one! took me a couple minutes to figure out you put a VCA at the end Very Happy
thank you. i found evrything in the lunettaforum for this. (cant find the original "vca" thread at the moment - think the post was from the mister with the Leonard Nimoy avatar - not shure)
PHOBoS wrote:
Did you need the extra diode on the output to get it silent ? A capacitor would make more sense,
you right. a cap works mutch better. I use the diode because my passiv mixer behind was a bit confuse the circuit.
commathe wrote:
Would putting a pot between the 10u cap to ground and ground change the decay possibly? Maybe you could use a smaller cap and a pot?
yes the cap is the "decay" adding a pot is also possible. (i was trying but the 10k from joystick are not handy, maybe a 50k+ pot) smaller cap is no problem only biger. the output of the 4050 cant charge caps biger than arround ~13u or so. maybe the other 5 stages of the 4050 in parallel or some kind of transitor and a BIG Cap and a big pot to get a range like the DS7 / DS8 clones got.

Wile building this i think a lot of a DS Clone in CMOS (cheap and easy). I got some ideas:
- adding more sense to the piezo will be possible by adding a R ladder and some diodes using 2 ore more 4050stages at the input (hit soft, midle, hit hard ... or just get an "accent") -> this stages carges the decaycap less ore more ... OR affect the CV for the vco
- adding a LFO. simple just a smittosc at the cv input of the 4046. Sweep is also easy just a filter on the LFO signal. But mixing the values from lfodeep, sweep, oscfreq into a single CV for the 4046 -> there will be no "lunettaway" and no way for me atm. (i have to google OP amp voltage summing .... or so .. )

you see there is room for a rev 2,3,4, mk 2, 3 ... hehe
DUBmatze

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DUBmatze wrote:
(cant find the original "vca" thread at the moment - think the post was from the mister with the Leonard Nimoy avatar - not shure)
found it:
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-23960.html&postorder=asc
it was richardc64. also a great thank you to richardc64.
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ah, smoking spock (he is smoking right ?) I can never argue with anything he says just because of that avatar alone Wink (and he seems to be correct)
I'm not sure if I saw that thread before, but I used a similar VCA in the Moon Base Xplorer and used it to create a voltage controlled mixer, it works great
for such a simple circuit.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
richardc64

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You're welcome, DUBmatze. No problemo. Interesting piezo interface, and I like the voltage-doubler E.G.

I've noticed that in some situations the second diode -- the one at the output -- is necessary, at other times only a cap is needed. Never figured out what conditions apply. Ken Stone's Chime Simulator, for example, leaves out the output diode.

http://www.cgs.synth.net/modules/cgs19_chime.html

Thanks, PHOBoS. Here's the full Spock pic. Several possible captions come to mind.

fascinating.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  25.03 KB
 Viewed:  8133 Time(s)

fascinating.jpg

analog_backlash

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

At the risk of putting a dampener on the proceedings, Spock has COPD:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26064849

I'm not a anti-tobacco fiend, BTW - I wish that I could give it up myself and spend my money on something more useful. I'm on the patches at the moment, with variable success Wink .

Gary
analog_backlash

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi DUBmatze.

I didn't get a chance to listen to it last night, so I didn't make any comments about it. I have now and it sounds really good Very Happy . I like the combination of the piezo and the joystick (I haven't seen that before). I see that you're also using ExpressSCH now, which I do also (when I can be bothered...).

Keep up the good work!

Gary
DUBmatze

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you richand and gary,

when this is a voltage doubler is the firt cap behind the 4050 in wrong direction? (i found both directions when i google "voltage doubler")

Yes the expressSCH is a nice tool. I think i stay at this. making Costom componets is easy, its free and the export to emf is cool. so i can beaty them up in inkscape. Wink i wish i have the font from it as .ttf or so. need to make a PCB soon - and give this a try...

i working to improve the Joystick controll at the moment. i have atm pitch (Y) and decay (X) and i think i put the "slide" on the push butten in the joystick. at the moment is my 2,5 years old sohn is drumming on the piezo with a huuuuuge (2B) drumstick.
richardc64

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DUBmatze wrote:
when this is a voltage doubler is the firt cap behind the 4050 in wrong direction? (i found both directions when i google "voltage doubler"

Hmm...I'm seeing it both ways too. For an envelope, I let the PAiA StringzNThingz be my guide: + end of the cap goes to the trigger source.

doubler_eg.gif
 Description:
Triggers enter at K37. PSB = Piano Sustain (actually decay,) Bus. MXP = mixer
 Filesize:  7.18 KB
 Viewed:  7857 Time(s)

doubler_eg.gif

Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: