electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » WREN
Wren latest version - 2023.2.8.0
Page 7 of 9 [222 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm, the cyclic mode is supposed to be round robin ... what is wrong with it in your view?

And yes I could make an 8 note one, will put it on the wish list, it should not be too much work :-)

SoulState

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 6:44 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Hmm, the cyclic mode is supposed to be round robin ... what is wrong with it in your view?

Maybe there is a bug? I tried cyclic mode, but when pressing same note there is only first out working, instead of swithcing outs. On the poly notes all the same - each dedicated out for each note instead of cycling switching.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Maybe there is a bug then yes, I'll look into it.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes there is a bug .. the mode input never gets processed Shocked
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 5:25 am    Post subject: released 2020-05-30 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actually there were a couple more MIDI bugs, you can tell I don't use MIDI that often myself .. so thanks for pointing it out to me.

I've been playing around with MIDI now for a good many hours, and at least the cyclic mode should work now and internal MIDI transport seems okay too.

I've also implemented a new multi-note-in module with 1 - 8 channels (selectable), the old one is still there too for compatibility reasons. It is based on the new code with a fixed maximum number of notes of four - so both modules should have the same bugs now ...

A new release is availble: 2020-05-30

See https://bluehell.nl/wren/#changes for the changes
See https://bluehell.nl/wren/#top for the downolads

I did not make a new source code release for this yet.

boaone

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice to see new updates Bluehell. One thing I noticed was the problem when I had the ASIO driver "FLASIO" installed. When it was installed there were no visible audio devices in the audio settings. Sometimes this driver is handy. When i uninstaled it everything was fine. Oh, by the way. Maybe you consider a module similar to the ensoniq machines for transwaves (asr-10) or hyperwaves (ts-12) synthesis. That would be killer feature.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm .. I googled a bit for the stuff you mentioned .. and I have no idea why FLASIO .. I asume that to be the FL Studio ASIO driver ... would not work.

Edit: Was there anything in the log file? (wren.log in the same folder as the wren.exe file, note though that the log is being rewritten on every start of Wren)

Re. the wave table sequencing thingies you mentioned .. I might find it interesting to look into that a bit better .. but was wondering .. maybe the WavePlayer module could be used for such stuff . as it has a position input .. so theoretically ... I guess I'll have to wonder a bit more about this Laughing

boaone

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Apologize for not clarifying. That was asio driver from fl studio. Sometimes i'm using it because this driver didn't take all asio exclusively for one app. Waveplayer module is nice for granular stuff i think and this is no problem, there are plenty plugins for this type of synthesis. Ensoniq is more "wavesequencing" thing. Uploading wren log and pieces of manual about waveform manipulations.

Capture 3.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  172.66 KB
 Viewed:  312 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Capture 3.PNG

Capture1.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  132.74 KB
 Viewed:  315 Time(s)

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  183.35 KB
 Viewed:  322 Time(s)

Capture2.PNG

Capture 4.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  165.73 KB
 Viewed:  310 Time(s)

Capture 4.PNG

WREN LOG DUMP.txt
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  WREN LOG DUMP.txt
 Filesize:  8.33 KB
 Downloaded:  302 Time(s)

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks boaone.

I'll look at them PNG files.

Re. Wren not seeing any devices .. it looks like the PortAudio DLL is present and then when it is initialized it will crash (with a division by zero error .. odd) .. I'm affraid I can not currently do much (will need a new license for microsoft stuff, and can not test as I do not have (nor want :p) FL Studio), but will think about it more.

boaone

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes I think i know what you mean Wink. I'm using only the driver of FLStudio for another DAWS because this driver didn't take entire control of ASIO protocol and i can run more software at once.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have made a debugging setup to try to zoom in on the driver issues .. it adds loads of PortAudio debug info to the wren.log file.

https://bluehell.nl/wren/modules.2020.5.30.debug.zip

Please copy the contents to a unique directory to not mess up any original stuff, run wren_debug.exe and when issues seen please attach the file wren.log here to a reply.

Hope this will help to zoom in a bit on the problems.

boaone

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

One idea for useful option. Recording module or option at mixer on the right side with buffer of about max 10 minutes (variable) or something like that. When one have something useful at buffer then button or hotkey to save that to files. Maybe with flac encoder at the end and normalization. I had to test that "flasio" again and will send log.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok, will think about your ideas - seems useful to me and I've put it on the wish list.

then .. I might ask you to another test after the previous request .. working on a 64 bit Wren version right now, wondering if that would have the same issues .. but will need to do a little more testing on it myself first.

to my surprise I was able to use ReaRoute on the 64 bit version .. so .. just maybe .. that will also solve some interfacing issues too.

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Made a new thread for FL ASIO and Wren, for FL issues .. please go there : http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-71936.html
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've made a new release, and although there are some changes in .. for instance how wave files are being read by modules and supported audio formats, the main reasons are:

1) I've made a 64 bit version

2) I've made recompiles for the PortAudio DLL to address an issue with the FL Studio ASIO driver. Both the 32 and the 64 bit version will co-exist with FL Studio using FL Studio ASIO .. on my test sytem. And both versions can not use the FL Studio ASIO driver for sound I/O themselves - what does work on my system is the RME ASIO driver.

For details see : https://bluehell.nl/wren/#changes

For downloads see : https://bluehell.nl/wren/#top

Note 1: there are now two versions to download a 32 and a 64 bit version. For both the executable file is called wren.exe ... so you could keep a 32 and a 64 bit version in two separate directories. For a 32 bit Windows version the 64 bit Wren will not work.

Note 2: For wren 32 I've renamed the PortAudio DLL into portaudio-r32.dll (and the old portaudio.dll is no longer used).

Note 3: For Wren 64 I've added portaudio-r64.dll, espeak-64.dll and libfftw3-64.dll

I did not make a fresh source code release at this time.

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And another release .. 2020.7.18.0 - with recent source code too.

For details on changes see : https://bluehell.nl/wren/#changes
For downloads use : https://bluehell.nl/wren/#top [and select the 64 or the 32 bit image there, whatever you need and or prefer - the 64 bit version is way faster]

Main changes are :

- sped up the 64 bit version a bit more by removing floating point (un-de-)normalization for it (64 bit version specific).
- Added audio chaching, such that when a wave is used in multiple modules it will only ne loaded once, and it speeds up patching a bit too for longer waves being loaded. This applies to all wave player like modules.
- Made a recorder module, and removed the old recording functionality. The recorder will always hold the latest xx minutes of audio, where xx can be selected. Then when you like it you can hit write to write the buffer to disk.
- Some bug fixes (custom wire colors work now, rate conversion properly reflected in wire colors too now, some annoyances and some oversights, stuff ...).
- added AM inputs to lots of modules.
- better tempo control for the BPM related modules.
- Added a folder selection dialog to select default folders for the various file types used.
- A new stereo narrower module, and a stereo panner.
- Some internal changes to allow for tighter integration between editor and sound generator at some later stage.
- It is now possible to select <nothing> for the in or output device, should solve some issues where the input could not be opened by PortAudio.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There were some bugs in the previuous one (2020.7.18.0) ... sorry for that Embarassed ... I think they may be fixed in the current one (2020.7.20.0).

https://bluehell.nl/wren/#top for dowloads,

https://bluehell.nl/wren/#changes for info on it.

boaone

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Recorder is very nice module. But for some reason some fm input in "modosc" module not working anymore.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Checking ... right .. I made the fm input a knob instead of an input .. so it does not 'exist' ... hmm my consistency checker should have found that .. time to fix that one too!
boaone

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is not a big problem considering there are hundreds of modules and complexity. Maybe that's not the right thread. One thing that prompts me to go back to g1 or g2 every time is a little "midi" problem. Wren loses notes every few moments. It's excellent for learning and tinkering and without midi from outside its working ok. But with some external sequencer and some arp or so its a big problem. Latency is ok now and overall speed much improved.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Right .. found 65 more such issues .. over 8 modules ... fixing them now.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, all fixed .. according to current state of checking code Laughing

Midi .. dropped notes .. hmm .. will look at it.

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not really hearing notes dropping here .. at a rate of about 8 notes / second .. but the timing is a bit sloppy here ... just as the midi clock timing is .. there is some room for improvement there .. not using midi much myself ... anyway .. treating note ons & offs and real time messages in a more direct way ... will fiddle with it a bit more.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Right .. timing depends on the buffer size set for audio .. hmm .. need to think about that.

But .. with a buffer size of 256 instead of 2048 it is a lot batter.

Made a small recording with the following setup.

G2 side :

Wren side:

I started the G2 at 4.07 Hz for the LfoC2 module, then 8.14, 12.2, 24.4 and ending at 3.05 I think ... is what the omage shows anyway ..

I did not use the G2 clock module, as it acts weird ...

Anyway .. timing wise, is this better / worse than what you are getting?

oh, and the delay and reverb stuff in wren ... got annoyed a bit with the dry sounds .. so added some color, on the recording it is all off.

test_midi.mp3
 Description:
Blue Hell - wren midi test recording

Download
 Filename:  test_midi.mp3
 Filesize:  1.83 MB
 Downloaded:  345 Time(s)

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Made a new release [2020.7.23.0] for fixing the inputs / parameters issues found.

Also changed the MIDI handling a bit for note on/off handling, should be a bit faster now.

And I just realized ... I should add a MIDI queue, as there is a risk still that when MIDI processing is not fast enough in the synth that the message(s) being processed will be overwritten with new incoming MIDI .. yuck .. anyway . .something to look into for a next release.

Also noticed, that for large audio frames (say, 2048 sample sets) MIDI gets jittery, not sure how I should fix that though. On my system with a frame block size of 256 it seems ok now.

Page 7 of 9 [222 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » WREN
Jump to: