electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
Mad LFO rate and depth with Mod Wheel?
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
rufuss sewell

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Mad LFO rate and depth with Mod Wheel? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd like to mod both the rate and depth of LFO1 for vibrato. Is this possible with CRoutes?

I'd like the vibrato to increase in depth and also speed up a tiny bit the more I raise the mod wheel. I only seem to be able to do one or the other.
Angroc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can't do it with CRoutes alone. Sadly, the LFO-mods aren't a part of the CRoute system. Alternatively, do this:

Set MOD on LFO1 to Mod Wheel > Rate (or whatever it is listed at. Can't recall atm).

Set MOD1 on OSC1 and OSC2 to LFO1 > Frequency. Make sure to leave this at zero, or whatever you'd like your base amount of vibrato to be.

Press MOD ASSIGN twice to get to the GRID section. Press SOFT BUTTON 1 to get to CRoutes. Scroll down with KNOB 5 to find OSC1 MOD1, then scroll with KNOB 1 to find Mod Wheel (this part confused me in the beginning, since it's actually a right-to-left operation. never scroll with KNOB 1 first when doing this). Now do the same again for OSC2 MOD1, and again scroll to Mod Wheel with KNOB 1.

Your Mod Wheel should now control the CRoutes between LFO1 and OSC1/2. This will "open" up the vibrato (ie open up the control path). The Mod Wheel is also set to control the rate of the same LFO. Set the MOD rate on LFO1 to taste.

Sadly, if you wanted to - say - change pulse width as well, you wouldn't be able to. You can only do one parameter + amplitude of the path. If you want to go more detail, you should consider using an ENV, as they can go way beoynd the rate of the LFO (because the designers wanted snappy ENVs, this is were they assigned most of the CPUs resources, i'd think). Also, with this, you have three MOD sections instead of just one. Only problem with this, of course, is that setting that up is way slower than a simple LFO. But that's the Andro for ya! ; )

rufuss sewell

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great! I still have a hard time with CRoutes.

Using a looping envelope for a more complex LFO is a great idea! I could use the pitch env.
Infrablue

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Using an envelope for LFO has a few other cool aspects... one is that the envelopes are analog (LFO's are digital, though quite nice), and two... the envelope as a loop can go much faster than the LFO. One of my favorite things in analog/modular synthesis is fast LFO. Here's a test of my own using an envelope as LFO on the Andromeda. It is fast and smooth. (Edit: I see now Angroc mentioned the speed thing too... )

Infrablue

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

also... scaling with the T Generators on either the rate or depth or both with the mod wheel on LFO is extra cool. Makes for some really interesting, chaotic seeming, but reproducible modulation.
Angroc

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The envelopes aren't analog, sadly (3 7 stage, loopable with several curve profiles as analog would be pretty intense!). I think they're that much faster because they have more power in the CPU allotted to them, which is because they wanted to avoid sluggish envelopes, a problem the Oberheim Matrix 12/Xpander had/have.
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
Jump to: