electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Musical Interfaces
High resolution encoders
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:23 am    Post subject: High resolution encoders Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bear in mind that I'm not as electronics-savvy as most here, so be gentle on me. Smile

I like the concept of endless encoders, I have a BCR2000 which I think is kind of brilliant. What I would like to have though, is a BCR2000 which isn't limited by the MIDI resolution. The encoders on the BCR will go from 0 to 127 on a full turn. I would like an encoder to go from, say, 0 to 65535 (16 bits) instead, on a full turn.

It is true that the BCR actually supports 16 bit (or is it 14 bit) numbers, but using a greater range like that doesn't improve the resolution on the knob, it just means that you can keep turning past 127 and the value will keep going higher. I don't want to have to turn like a madman to reach a higher value.

So is it possible to find parts to build such a thing? I guess what I want is basically a monome arc without the fancy looks and huge knobs. I just want to try a knob, however basic, that will let me feel an instant and precise response when I turn it. Plus I have to be able to get it to send values into a computer somehow (if I wanted to make a DIY analog I could just use any old pot).

Any ideas, hints or preferences? Maybe there already is such a thing to be found somewhere?

I admit I haven't started looking at parts sites yet, I figured there's probably someone here that can give me a good starting point. Smile

Cynosure
Site Admin

Audio files: 82

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You need to consider what you will be using the encoder to control. The resolution of the encoder is irrelevant if you are sending the reading as MIDI data because you will still be limited to either 7 or 14 bits.

If you are not using MIDI, then what is the protocol you are using and how will the computer interpret it? What app/vst is the final destination and what type and resolution of data will it accept?
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah maybe I should have been clearer. I want to control programs I write myself on a computer. I'd like to use ChucK, if possible. ChucK can talk OSC and also (after the most recent release) some kind of serial protocol. It could also work using compound MIDI messages with high and low bytes transmitted one after the other somehow.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Your best bet would bee something like how a mouse works .. when you move it slowly it can be pixel precise, and when you move it faster it will skip steps.

A rotary with 2^16 steps .. if you could find it you would not want to pay what it costs and even if you did .. it would be impossible probably to move it that precise.

When you have a controller going 0 - 127 already it would be cool if it would wrap then at the end .. you could then implement a mouse like algorith yourself .. but prolly not eh ... so .. arduino time I guess!

32 step rotarries can be found pretty cheap, and this may just be enough if you add some clever coding.

Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Musical Interfaces
Jump to: