electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  Jez Adventures in Sound
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Any good mods for trigger/clock in/out for Mattel Synsonics?
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
patrickvf1976

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject:  Any good mods for trigger/clock in/out for Mattel Synsonics? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Trying to use my Synsonics in my analog setup but need to add some sort of clock in/out (or trigger in/out) to sync it with my other gear (sequencers, etc) could someone please supply me with info and/or instructions for such mods? Thanks ahead! - Patrick
bubzy

Audio files: 63

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

if anyone is looking into this, this may be helpful

looking at the schematic, the whole thing is controlled by an mcu, this looks like the clock is internal to that chip and there doesn't appear to be an external line carrying a clock signal. the only way I could think of doing it would be to add a comparator to one of the drum "outs" (or better still on the control line between the mcu and the "drum sound generator" chips) and use that as a clock, the problem with that is that you will always have to have that drum playing to keep the clock active. clock in seems impossible.

but as everyone knows, I screw a lot of stuff up, so I could be completely wrong (here's hoping :p )

Mattel%20Synsonics%20Service%20Manual.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Mattel%20Synsonics%20Service%20Manual.pdf
 Filesize:  2.05 MB
 Downloaded:  24 Time(s)

noto

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

what about the two sync output pins on the acc. jack?
i would probably use 1k~4k7 resistor to connect this to other devices. the sync output pins are connected directly to the MPU. i have heard that these chips are easy to fry. maybe even a nice optocoupler would be better.

i have to agree with patrickvf1976, a clock input might not be too easy(or stable), but if you were going to try, a PLL and some divider chips used to replace the clock oscillator might be one avenue.
http://store.highlyliquid.com/collections/midi-decoders/products/mpa
check out the highly liquid midi decoder too^^^
it would be a much more direct approach. it has 4 midi controlled potentiometers too!
Dan Lavin

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I know of a number of people that tried to sync the Synsonics clock with an external clock but nothing I remember was very good. Klugey at best with not always dependable tracking.

I think your best bet is to do like I did and use a midi to trigger unit and fire the voices independently of the Synsonics clock. Here's mine:
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-36314-50.html

patrickvf1976

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm I wonder if I could tap into that bass drum metronome somehow. Was that what bubzy was referring to as "drum sound generator"? I could at least use that to retrigger my Paia 4780 and electro-harmonix sequencers (the only analogue sequencers I possess) and that would work for a totally midi-less setup. I could add a switch in it's audio path to mute it. I don't know how it's gonna work if the EH sequencer is clocked via midi though. The accessory jack is for a pedal board of sorts, right? Then it should have a trigger in. Maybe I could use that to trigger the Synsonics from a midi-clocked EH sequencer, right? No?
The sync pins on the accessory jack sound interesting. I'm definitively going to try this. It shouldn't do any harm to the chip if nothing is fed back into the sync line, right?

PS: The sync 1/16 pin of the accessory jack - is this sync input or output?
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: