electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
I traded my Arturia Minibrute for a Microbrute
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
A E J O T Z

Audio files: 66

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: I traded my Arturia Minibrute for a Microbrute Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actually, I sold my like-new Mini and bought a brand spanking new Micro.
That may puzzle some people, since the Mini had twice as many knobs.

First, it's so cute!!! The Microbrute is my only true analog synth (not counting Monotron) and it's my smallest synth (not counting monotron). Being toy-like is a plus for me. I have more fun with "toy" synths than with "serious" instruments. I like little bitty instruments that make big sounds. My CZ-101 was tiny in its day and my Microkorg is like the best little xmas stocking-stuffer, ever. Size-wise the Micro suits me better than the Mini.

Second, while the Mini had knobs, switches and sliders up the wazoo (a little overwhelming, actually) I didn't really need quite that much micro-control over every aspect of sound. Half of the controls found their sweet spots in the first few hours of play and collected dust thereafter. The fewer controls on the Micro clearly all do something interesting and provide a surprising range of variety.

Third, I think the Micro sounds better. That's very subjective, I know. And maybe it's truer that it's easier for me to create sounds I like with the simpler format of the Micro. Either way, the Micro seems to inspire me more than the Mini did. I'm not alone in thinking the Micro has a different sound. I've heard it described as a more "defined" sound.

Fourth, the on-board sequencer is surprisingly handy. I didn't think I'd have any use for it. I was so wrong. I'm surprised by how many loop ideas I explore just because it's so handy. I waste a lot of time playing with the sequencer, with a big stupid smile on my cyborg face.

Fifth, I love the stiff little popsicle-stick-like minikeys. The keys are almost identical to Microkorg keys. Longtime keyboardists will hate them. But I'm a longtime guitarist whose first keyboard was a (now legendary) Casio MT-65. I can play much more deftly on stiff, short-throw mini keys than on "piano" keys. I wouldn't mind a longer keyboard, but the Mini shared that limitation and I can always MIDI to another board.

Finally, although I really liked the Minibrute, I haven't regretted trading it for the Microbrute, and I've played the Micro almost every day since I got it, two months ago. It ticks all my boxes and tickles my fancy.

Now, feel free to tell me I'm nutz. Razz

http://aejotz.com
Muied Lumens
Stream Operator

Audio files: 249

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice!

I too think that the Micro looks more interesting than its bigger mini brother. I am not going to get it though, not in the foreseeable future.

As pointed out elsewhere, Arturia seems to have managed to break the meaning of "Mini" in the synth world! Good work! Very Happy

wackelpeter

Audio files: 6

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes if working the microbrute is great and truly an absolute great synth for such small budget...

Haven't compared it to the Minibrute yet, but i was going to buy the MinibruteSE.

But at least i think this little great synth lack some quality in building... low quality parts or whatever, because mine is now out of order for the third time...

didn't start when switching power on... the first time i had this issue it worked well the day after without doing anything... then worked for a week an failed again... isent it back to where i purchased it and got it after 6 weeks of waiting back... just to have the same issue again after 2 weeks...

from at least 12 weeks i had this little cool synth i was only 6 able to Play with it...

Now i'm going to have a look inside myself when i have some time to figure out if i can find anything as i don't want to have it all the time in repair... may i lose my warranty but i want i want it to play with it...

well it's not the psu... have tried some identical psu's already...

btw. if anyone has discovered similar issues with his microbrute any hints would be helpful...

A E J O T Z

Audio files: 66

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I excitedly bought a brand new Microbrute and the pitch wheel didn't work in the up direction. I twiddled all settings, did system update, etc. Nope. Pitch wheel didn't work. Took it back to the store and swapped for a different unit.

On this one the ultrasaw is much weaker than the one on the Minibrute or the other Microbrute. But the point where it's maxed out is the maximum point I'd use it anyway, so I kept this unit. After two months, everything else still works fine.

It's frustrating but it seems that true analog is a bit more problem prone than VA. Anyone want to bite on that convo bait?

http://aejotz.com
wackelpeter

Audio files: 6

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

got my Minibrute SE yesterday and will have to send my microbrute back within next week or so...

The Minibrute SE is absolutely great and superb looking... first "soundcheck" also left me happy...

My Microbrute meanwhile is still struck... don't want to really power on... have given him several changes to do his work bur now i will send it back and ask for a replacement... once had the same difficulties and sent it in for repair. Then got it back after 4 weeks and it only worked for little more than a week so i don't believe this error is really fixable or fixed...

psst have had a look inside and everything seemed to be fine power was okay, all cables in their sockets andnothing looked damaged... as i don't have any schematics and really not much clue what's causing the micrbrutes Problems i think i'll give my love to another one that's more trustable... Very Happy

Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Jump to: