electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
8 step 4017 sequencer
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
xiphocoleon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: 8 step 4017 sequencer
Subject description: Eagle CAD file
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Attached is an image of the 8 step 4017 sequencer I built with help from PHOBoS. If you have any questions about building it or its operation, or want the original Eagle file, message me.

2x4017seq.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  67.5 KB
 Viewed:  418 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

2x4017seq.png

creekree

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nice!
two questions:
what is the "CLCK1 HOLD" Jack for?
what does the AR Switch do? I assume you get attack and release control for each gate, is that correct?

also, could you post the eagle files please?

thank you!

xiphocoleon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi creekree --

The CLCK1 Hold will stop the first 4017 from counting when a high (or maybe low, I'd have to check) signal is present here.

The AR switch, when on, will activate the attack and release pots, so that break the rigid pulse shape of the outputs.

My Eagle files are on my other computer, but I will post them soon.

--

As some notes to this design, now that I've been using it in my modular for a little bit:

-I would like to adjust the sensitivity for clock inputs so waveshapes as low as 5Vpp could trigger the clock. I would have to scope this out, but I think the clock input wave, has to be at least 10Vpp to trigger the clock
roglok

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

xiphocoleon wrote:

-I would like to adjust the sensitivity for clock inputs so waveshapes as low as 5Vpp could trigger the clock. I would have to scope this out, but I think the clock input wave, has to be at least 10Vpp to trigger the clock

you can easily change the clock threshold by adjusting the voltage divider (R3/R4) in the LM324 comparator.
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Snaper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

xiphocoleon wrote:
Hi creekree --

The CLCK1 Hold will stop the first 4017 from counting when a high (or maybe low, I'd have to check) signal is present here.

The AR switch, when on, will activate the attack and release pots, so that break the rigid pulse shape of the outputs.

My Eagle files are on my other computer, but I will post them soon.

--

As some notes to this design, now that I've been using it in my modular for a little bit:

Intersted too Very Happy
xiphocoleon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: Attached Eagle File Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all -- the Eagle file for the 2x4017 sequencer is attached here. Let me know if you can't open it.

2x4017.sch
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  2x4017.sch
 Filesize:  739.35 KB
 Downloaded:  210 Time(s)

Snaper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: Attached Eagle File Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

xiphocoleon wrote:
Hi all -- the Eagle file for the 2x4017 sequencer is attached here. Let me know if you can't open it.

'Got a question, regarding your note at the bottom.
Is this problem fixed in the schemo?
Im planning to create a single sisded PCB art for home etching.
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Attached Eagle File Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Snaper wrote:
xiphocoleon wrote:

'Got a question, regarding your note at the bottom.
Is this problem fixed in the schemo?
Im planning to create a single sisded PCB art for home etching.

Not sure if I remember correctly but when xiphocoleon mentioned the skipping of step 1 we both looked for a solution.
I came up with reducing R11 from 100K to 10K, while xiphocoleon came up with adding R29.
So yes it should be fixed. (although I haven't tested the full circuit in this form myself)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Snaper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks!
In the other hands, it seems a very big work to shrink it into a single sided pcb with gooood size.
Will work on it, then will post the board layout Very Happy
xiphocoleon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The schematic as posted works for the parts on my bench Smile

That being said, I'd highly recommend prototyping it out and see if you encounter any glitches. The two resistors in the note on the schematic helped my system function and in using a hand-soldered version of this sequencer for a couple months now, I haven't noticed any irregularities in its operation.

Glad to hear you're going to build it. Would love to hear about the results.

Thomas
Snaper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

xiphocoleon wrote:
The schematic as posted works for the parts on my bench Smile

That being said, I'd highly recommend prototyping it out and see if you encounter any glitches. The two resistors in the note on the schematic helped my system function and in using a hand-soldered version of this sequencer for a couple months now, I haven't noticed any irregularities in its operation.

Glad to hear you're going to build it. Would love to hear about the results.

Thomas

Ah...it seems that Im not a well talented eagle ninja, I can't squeeze it to a sinlge sided board for home etching :S
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: