electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
newbie question: Korg Kontrol 49 as controller for G2 Engine
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
JonTerp

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: newbie question: Korg Kontrol 49 as controller for G2 Engine Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello, I am new to both the nord modular and these forums. I don't actually own a G2 yet, but I plan on buying a G2 engine in the near future. I would love a G2 key, but I don't have the money for that, so I'm planning on buying an engine so I can start playing with it, and then soon after that buying a midi controller so that I can take it places or perform with it since I don't have a laptop. the controller that has caught my eyes most at this point is the korg kontrol 49:

http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?A_PROD_NO=kontrol49

I am wondering what everybody hear thinks about it, specifically for controlling an engine. What caught my eye the most was the 8 rotarty encoders with LCDs, strikingly similar to the G2 key. It can store 12 scenes onboard, so for example, in my basic one, the main encoder could select patches, the buttons could have some critical functions, the 8 sliders could controll the morph groups, the rotary encoders could control some critical functions, the joystick could controll volume and pan etc. etc. or maybe I could design one to controll a sequencer in which the rotary encoders could controll the pitch, and the sliders could controll the volume for 8 steps. I am not too familliar with the G2 or midi controll, so anybody tell me if this will not work. Anways, any feedback would be greatly apreciated, especially if anybody hear has any experience with the Kontrol 49. Thanks in advance.

Jon
King Rat

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This thread might be useful to you...
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-4534.html

Angus
JonTerp

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah I've looked at the behringer bcr2000 before and kinda liked it, and I've noticed it's really popular here. So this might be a retarded question, I really don't have much experience with midi, but would it be possible to do something like have a keyboard controller go to the "midi through" connection on a bcr2000, and then have the output on the bcr go to the input on the G2. If not this, then some other way to use a keyboard and some other controller such as the bcr simultaneously to controll the engine. Basically, I'm looking for a way to have enough controll over an engine to perform with it.
egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you have a keyboard with sufficient knobs, I'm not sure you also need the BCR2000. Depends on how many knobs you think you need.
But if you want to connect multiple control devices using midi, you have to merge the midi signals. You can do this with a small merge box.
egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A box like the BCR 2000 should have the ability to merge the midi input with it's own midi generated by the knobs. I don't know for sure if it does, maybe someone who has one can answer. Or you can download the manual from the Behringer site.
Fozzie

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The BCR can merge the input midi with its own generated (knob-turning) mide messages to the midi out. The only minorly annoying restriction IMHO is that if you use the BCR in USB mode, you cannot get the BCR knob-turning midi messages on the midi out at the same time (although midiox can help here)
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: