electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Turning an on-off-on switch into a three-way selector
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
commathe

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:53 am    Post subject: Turning an on-off-on switch into a three-way selector Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Came up with this today after hours of banging my head against the desk. Probably not the most streamlined solution, but it'll do!

This also only passes digital signals, though I'm sure you could tweak it to control an analog switch.

on-off-on to three way.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.8 KB
 Viewed:  10167 Time(s)

on-off-on to three way.png

synaesthesia

Audio files: 85

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi commathe, that's a great idea to make use of those ON-OFF-ON switches. Didn't think of using them for this so far.
How about this solution? It needs less parts, handles two signals, and does analog too.

3way.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  15.24 KB
 Viewed:  250 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

3way.PNG

commathe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've never really used the 4052, so I didn't think of that. Your's is definitely a lot more graceful (and useful)! Embarassed
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yep, a mux works great to make use of all the 3 settings of the toggle switch. I thought I posted a schematic using that setup,
but the only thing I find that resembles it is this forced state switch. (which is pretty much it except that it uses fixed high/low levels and only 1 input).

It happens to me too that I spend hours or days trying to come up with asolution and after I do I find a much easier solution. Rolling Eyes
But you usually learn something from it anyway.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
elektrouwe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Turning an on-off-on switch into a three-way selector Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

commathe wrote:
... after hours of banging my head against the desk....

obviously it did not help Smile your circuit is a real overkill to select between 3 signals A,B,C : connect A to to the left pos. of your switch, C to the right, and B via a 10k to the middle which is also the output of your 3-way-selector.(Use a non inverting gate as buffer if you don't want the 10k series R when selecting B)
I came up with this after seconds not hurting myself Wink
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just get one of the on-on-on dp3t switches..... No active electronics required.
commathe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektrouwe wrote:
commathe wrote:
... after hours of banging my head against the desk....

obviously it did not help Smile your circuit is a real overkill to select between 3 signals A,B,C : connect A to to the left pos. of your switch, C to the right, and B via a 10k to the middle which is also the output of your 3-way-selector.(Use a non inverting gate as buffer if you don't want the 10k series R when selecting B)
I came up with this after seconds not hurting myself Wink
Again: Embarassed

At least I learnt a lot from the experience, if nothing else.

elmegil wrote:
Just get one of the on-on-on dp3t switches..... No active electronics required.
A weeks worth of searching and not being able to find any was what inspired this. I could only get the 1P2T type that just connect both lugs in the middle position.
elmegil

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't know about availability in China, but this is the one I usually buy for this:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/NKK-Switches/M2024SS1W03/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvudeGI7i40XNXjdXsj23H5KySuuSRCSqY%3d
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

€ 5,22 for 1 switch ?! Shocked or am I missing something.

I pay €0.66 for a double pole toggle switch with center position (0).
sure it won't be the same quality but at least I can afford it.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
elmegil

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And then you spend how much more for chips and wiring and solder and stripboard to jury rig the on-on-on functionality......

Seriously, I'm not suggesting this as a general purpose switch! Smile
karczilla

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

synaesthesia wrote:
and does analog too.

hey synaesthesia/anyone, when you say it does analog, is that with GND/0V and V+?

my cmos cookbook says for analog, apply -5V to pin X and +5V to pin Y, and the signal can be -5V to +5V peak to peak....

and now that i'm thinking about it, they say to use -5V in order to pass a signal that oscillates around 0V (btwn -5 and +5)....

what i'm asking is....I can use 0V and +5V supply and fully pass any waveform through (stepped triangle, sine, ramp) without it being "sampled" and converted to digital as long as its between my single supply voltages (0 and +xV!?!?!? Question

Embarassed
commathe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Don't be shy! It's a reasonable question. The problem comes from the fact that digital can mean two things, and we maybe use the word a little differently here on the Lunetta forum.

When we use the word digital here on the Lunetta forum we basically mean a square wave. It's digital because it can only be high (V+) or low (GND/V-) which is basically the same as binary. You can think of a square wave as being a 1-bit digital signal

Most of the time when people use the word "digital" they mean passed through a microprocessor or some other chip that has to sample it.

Here on the Lunetta forum, when we say "analog" we also mean something a little different, we mean that it is possible for it to be any value, not just high or low. Most CMOS chips have digital outputs - they can only be high or low so they square up anything fed into their inputs - but a small handful, like the 4052 chip, can pass analog signals and they wont get turned into square-waves, they'll stay unchanged.

However, an analog switch powered from GND/0V to +5V would NOT be able to pass anything below 0V or above 5V. It would end up clipping off the top and bottom of any signal that went beyond that

I hope this helps!
Dave Kendall

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For the record, you can make a single pole one-to- three position switch with just a Dual pole on-on-on toggle. Attached diagram courtesy of Fonik. (Schalterkontact = Switch contact. )

cheers,
Dave

ononon.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  7.8 KB
 Viewed:  9500 Time(s)

ononon.gif

fluxmonkey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/dpdt-on-on-on/

$2.80 in single quantities, i can't imagine how any more complex solution is cheaper

Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: