electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
A basic Tracker type software with MIDI Output?
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
revtor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: A basic Tracker type software with MIDI Output?
Subject description: asking about sequencing software
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can I get some suggestions for a basic MIDI out sequencing software that runs on a modern computer (IE not atari/Mac Classic, DOS etc) in the tracker style?

Tracker as in vertical, lots of numbers in my face, few windows, no VST / Audio etc etc etc needed. Just the ability to set up simple MIDI loops on different channels note on/off & cc's and then send that data to my digital friends.

I know this can be done on most any DAW software but please I can't handle the distractions and expense. I want something simple on a monitor behind my gear that will be my MIDI master source, I can key in a few loops and then be free to tweak the synths and play with effects..

thanks for your thoughts!
~Steve

revtor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This looks kinda close.. Not bad for $15. if it works. Not tracker style, more piano roll though ...I want to be able to type in the note values etc

http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~mpc1000/jj-seq/

ideas anyone?
~Steve

MusicMan11712

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not sure what you mean--you mean something like Dr. T's KCS? like the original Cakewalk software for MSDOS?
Steve
revtor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, like that!!

And thanks for the tip, I searched around based on your suggestion and found http://www.ronimusic.com/index.html
"SweetSixteen MIDI Sequencer" which is WinXP/7/8 compatible and looks like what I'm after.. or pretty close anyway. . Simple MIDI only sequencing. Free trial and $30 for the full deal.

Im going to give it a try and the JJ Sequencer as well. .

~Steve

revtor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well the Sweet sixteen sequencer really sucked.

JJSequencer was tiny, installed instantly and worked straight off the bat -recording editing and spitting out MIDI data. pretty nice little app!! not very flexible, limited to tracks, no patterns to create tracks tracks to create songs type of workflow so very basic. Like a digital MPC, which I don't really mind. Not perfect, but so far its in the lead.

"Non Sequencer" seems like a smash hit, but installing Linux is a whole new can of worms. we'll see how this goes.

~Steve

MusicMan11712

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry to hear the results were not as good as had hoped.

I am wondering if there is an older program that might do what you want in a virtual box?

I don't know if there is a KCS / C-64 emulator that would meet your needs, of if there are any old Atari sequencers that would meet your needs running with Steam.

I do know I tried an old Atari Caged Artists Casio VZ patch editor using Steam a few years back and was impressed that it worked, though I don't remember if that just created files that were sent to the VZ in Windows, or if Steam also handled midi directly (well, emulated directly).

Steve

Oh. I think it was STEem, not Steam with an a.

https://code.google.com/p/steem-engine/
varice

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 54

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

revtor wrote:
Well the Sweet sixteen sequencer really sucked...

Please tell us what you don’t like about it.

I took a look at the Sweet Sixteen page and it appears to have the features that I would like, but there is very little detail. I’ve been looking for a PC based MIDI editor to work on patterns for my Roland MC-909. I haven’t downloaded it yet to give it a try.

revtor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Varice, I only fiddled with it for five minutes, so I hesitate to bring up my "issues" Ill play with it a bit more tonight and then report back.

~Steve

revtor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay so I played around a bit more with sweet sixteen sequencer.

My main gripe is that you cant just draw in notes. unlesss you have notes in there already. So you have to record MIDI in or open a midi file to start anything.

After that you have a lot of control over all the timing and events etc. Im not sure how it will do for anyone in particular every sequencer has its own workflow. Best to DL and give it a try.

Also in the piano roll mode, the notes are kinda squished and I couldn't figure out a way to zoom in or resize the window. So thats a turn off.

Nothing too major I guess! Definietly worth a try if it seems like it might be for you!

And thats all I can really say since in getting AVLinux to work today (pretty easy actually)………. I lost all of my windows side -whoops!!!!

~Steve

varice

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 54

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the reply Steve.

I downloaded it and will give it a test latter.

revtor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Adelanie, you're trying out which one?

I got NON to run on my Linux machine but I still have to figure out the mess that is JACK/ALSA Linux audio in general.

Hoping to get NON to run on a raspberry pi, as a dedicated MIDI sequencer. .? We'll see, lots and lots of hoops to jump through to even begin that project.

~Steve

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

revtor wrote:
Adelanie, you're trying out which one?

Adelanie will not answer ... the account was here for link spam only ... so removed it.

traviswhendrix

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How about Renoise? I'm no expert on it, but it's definitely a tracker and it states on it's website that it has MIDI out.
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Jump to: