electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
CMOS Sonic Sensor
Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Thomas_Henry

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:55 pm    Post subject: CMOS Sonic Sensor Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Everyone,

Here's a neat little project you might find handy for something in the studio or around the home. It's a one-chip sound sensor. When a sound is detected (clapping hands, drum pad struck, the report of gunshots should you live in that type of neighborhood), a +5V, 1 mSec trigger is generated. Or, by bridging the jumper, you can generate a +5V gate for as long as the sound is present. An onboard thumbwheel pot sets the sensitivity.

It's sort of cool, because it's designed around CMOS gates operating in linear mode. Be sure to use a CD4001 with unbuffered outputs; linear operation depends upon that. Look for a UB suffix on the chip.

The unit was designed for +5V operation, making it perfect for microcontroller applications. I see no reason why it wouldn't work on higher voltages, however. A microcontroller certainly isn't required: it could be used to fire LEDs, relays, buzzers, etc., with suitable driving transistors.

However, using it with a microcontroller really opens up the possibilities for all sorts of intelligent controls. I program exclusively in the powerful (and free) PIC Micro Pascal language now and have contributed many projects and exercises to its forum. In particular, take a look at the handclap applications I wrote up there. You'll have to navigate to the Exercises sub-forum, and look for the Handclap project. (E-M keeps screwing up the URL for that message--I have no idea why).

http://www.pmpcomp.fr/smf/

As a rule, using CMOS in linear mode gives far from high fidelity, but here's the perfect situation to take advantage of the simplicity.

Attached below is a picture of the completed affair. Also attached is a complete package containing everything you need to build it yourself: schematics, PCB artwork, parts placement guide, etc. I've even thrown in the TinyCad and FreePCB files, should you want to modify the design. I would ask, in return, though that you always retain my name in whatever you come up with, being the media whore I am.

Thomas Henry

Sonic Sensor.JPG
 Description:
Photo of the CMOS Sonic Sensor
 Filesize:  64.65 KB
 Viewed:  269 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Sonic Sensor.JPG

CMOS Sonic Sensor.zip
 Description:
The complete design package.

Download
 Filename:  CMOS Sonic Sensor.zip
 Filesize:  41.63 KB
 Downloaded:  367 Time(s)

Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic