electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
simplest delay ever
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Lorenzo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:18 am    Post subject: simplest delay ever
Subject description: simplest delay ever
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Could you suggest me a very simple delay schematics?
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

a very loooooong wire.

or on a more serious note probably something with a PT2399, but there are several schematics floating around with that chip.
It's a bit noisy though especially at longer delay times. If you want some better quality your best bet is probably just a delay pedal. Rolling Eyes

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
glot

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

here is a super simple PT2399 delay circuit. just scroll down its figure 3

http://sound.westhost.com/project26a.htm
Lorenzo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you very much!
I would like to add a delay to some 555 Atari punk console I made for some friends.
So loss of audio quality or distorted sibilances are not a priblem.
Works PT2399 at 5v?
This is a problem, LM555 vorks at 9v!?

glot

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

this schematic includes a voltage regulator(78L05) to convert your supply voltage to the 5 volts needed to power the pt2399. so just connect your 9v to the DC+ part of the schematic and ground to the -dc and you're good to go.

have fun making weird noises Smile
Lorenzo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah! Thank you very much for your kindly reply!
JovianPyx

Audio files: 224

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I remember reading on the Synth-DIY forum that someone had made a delay out of a piece of garden hose, a speaker and a microphone. The speaker was put into a box with a hole for the hose, I don't remember exactly how the microphone was mounted. Fidelity is as you would expect of the system, but it worked.

Time flies like a banana.
Fruit flies when you're having fun.
BTW, Do these genes make my ass look fat?
corruptio optimi pessima
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

JovianPyx wrote:
I remember reading on the Synth-DIY forum that someone had made a delay out of a piece of garden hose, a speaker and a microphone.

a quick google search already got me 2 results Shocked :
http://theb-roll.com/garden-hose-stereo-delay/
http://www.uaudio.com/blog/cooper-time-cube-power/

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lorenzo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

WoW!!!
DUBmatze

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you can drive a piezo disk with your 555 from the apc and mount it into this one:
https://www.google.de/search?q=kids+echo+mic&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=fsrHVOLoIoa9PYbLgeAB&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAw&biw=1360&bih=922
hodad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

re the Cooper Time Cube: the original used one dynamic mic element as a speaker, as well as another to pick up the delayed sound. The "pickup" mic (for lack of a better term) was off to the side of the tube. There was also a little section of tube extending past the pickup that may have had some sort of acoustic damping material in it (it's been a while since I've looked at all this, and I might be misremembering a detail or two.) The hose was plastic, not rubber.

I've always thought it'd be simpler to use a small electret as the pickup mic. There are so many small speakers around these days, in phones, computers, etc. that would probably be better suited as a signal source than a dynamic mic element.
glot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow that cooper time cube is very cool. here is a link to the patent which includes detailed information on how it works including the use of tunable Helmholtz resonators to compensate for the peaks and dips in the frequency spectrum created by running a signal into 30 feet of plastic tubing.

http://www.google.com/patents/US3789328
Lorenzo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

glot wrote:
here is a super simple PT2399 delay circuit. just scroll down its figure 3

http://sound.westhost.com/project26a.htm

Ok I read the article.
So this module made 1 only time delay.
If I made two of this, I made some experiment whit the timing resistor and I connect these things in some barbarian way, would I have a 2 repetition delay?

I have only to use it with an Atari "wee-woa" Console... Would I try or is it easier to use a delay pedal?

glot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

im not sure what you mean by 2 repetition delay. if you want to increase the number of repeats or echos just turn up the repeat pot. if you want to have two separate delay times then you will need to build two delay circuits and connect them in parallel.

as to whether it would be easier to build this or use a delay pedal im not sure. i must confess i have not built the circuit that i posted so i dont know how easy it is to get working or how well it will work with your apc. it seems simple enough though that you could quickly breadboard it. however i would view it as more of a jumping off point as it would need some modifications to give it variable delay time.

if you have a old delay pedal lying around you don't mind scraping for this project that would probably be faster than breadboarding this circuit and making a layout for it although the first option would certainly be cheaper.

i think DUBmatze's idea is a good one as it is very simple and will give your atari punk console a cool and unique sound although it is a reverb so it might not be what your after.

if you have some stripboard and a pt2399 another option is to use a layout from here http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/search/label/Delay
particularly
http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2012/02/i-thought-delay-freaks-may-like-this.html
Lorenzo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DUBmatze wrote:
you can drive a piezo disk with your 555 from the apc and mount it into this one:
https://www.google.de/search?q=kids+echo+mic&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=fsrHVOLoIoa9PYbLgeAB&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAw&biw=1360&bih=922

Ohh WoW!!
I just see your repley! It would be great!

Glot, I'm sorry for my English... Yes I would like to encrease the number of repetitions. I can't belive that this little module could do that! So... Let turn up the Repeat Pot!

Thank you for all your replies.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: