electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
DS 7 clone
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 18 of 19 [453 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 16, 17, 18, 19 Next
Starspawn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here you go, still missing a few extras for the other pads, but sounds nice imo, good low end.

Toothbrush is is an invaluable stripboard tool, when scoring lines (after soldering to prevent tiny shorts) I put alcohol on and brush away the junk Wink

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

And sounds, just put them hard panned straight into recorder and played for a little while.

https://soundcloud.com/vintersmokk/ds7-mutand-sounds-first-try

And heres the finished one btw
A synwave as left hat, synchime as right, and a monotribe Bassdrum as left pad. As well as a 6 channel panning mixer with buffer for headphone out.

Last edited by Starspawn on Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:32 am; edited 2 times in total
tokyomatik

Audio files: 6

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: DS7 mods Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dnny wrote:
so here are some pics of DS7 mods

first there is the VCA input mod. (for signal not for CV)
run wire from jack to leg 3 of CA3080 via 100K resistor and 100K pot.
to the panel you ad VCA input (jack) and VCA input level (pot)

and second comes the manual trigger mod:
run wire from +9V via 1M resistor to momentary push button and from there to trigger sens pot point 3.
to the panel you ad momentary push button.

(you get continuos signal if you hold the button down.)

daniel

ps. the RJWsofts Schematic Publisher is great and the pics are made whit it.
Schematic Publisher free download

I'm trying this mod on a DS8 euro module so we are not dealing anymore with +9v but with +12v.....should I change the resistor value? Any advice?
marioguzzi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi all, I'm posting in this thread as I recently bought synthrotek ds8 kit and was attempting a dual build along with a ds7 kit I got some years ago from ebay and I'm facing the following problem (attached a messy picture of the build):

Each synth works well on its own but I get audio out from the ds7 only if the ds8 output is not connected, while the ds8 works regardless the ds7 is connected or not Confused

the pcbs are sharing a 9v battery in parallel, and the only difference I can see is that the on/off switches of the circuits (both placed after the 5v regulators) are cutting the ground and supply line respectively.

What could be causing this behaviour?

20150110_140657.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.5 MB
 Viewed:  586 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

20150110_140657.jpg

Starspawn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It would probably be better to just use 1 regulator and jumper the 5V for the other circuit after that.
marioguzzi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm getting the exact same behaviour after bypassing the ds7's regulator.

So I tried disconnecting the ds8's output ground line: now I can hear them both, problem is this is obviously true if both of them are connected, but since only the ds7 output jack is connected to ground as soon as I disconnect it I stop getting audio from the ds8
umschmitt

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

May sound stupid, but did you check that the signal and ground wires are not interverted at the output jack (esp. on the DS-7)?
marioguzzi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I thought of that but after checking I noticed that though the two pcb share the same ground I found that on the ds7 there's no continuity between ground plane and the output's ground line. I'll have to trace the pcb to check why, unluckily I have no schematics for that pcb
marioguzzi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mmm, it seems the output ground line is coming from the non inverting input of the 3080 through a resistor Confused

20150110_171722-1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  561.99 KB
 Viewed:  543 Time(s)

20150110_171722-1.jpg

Starspawn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Heres the schematic http://m.bareille.free.fr/ds7clone/ds7sh.gif
marioguzzi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks for the help!
yep, I knew that schematics, my circuit is more or less the same but there are some differences from m bareille schematics like the audio output section. I got the ds7 pcb some years ago from a ebay from r shepard, but I can't find any reference to his design
Starspawn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, lets see, R31 is your R5.
R32 is your R4.
R20, 21 and C5 is your path from the LM to + input.
All the same so far.

The difference is that your R2 and R3 is where the output from the earlier opamp should come in, but in your schematic its grounded instead!

So check if that grounding does indeed connect with the output from earlier opamp, Im sure that shouldnt be the case.
So check continuity there.

Your C1 and R4 should still be grounded.
marioguzzi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

just found that the output's ground line is coming from an opamp and so it is at a steady 2,5V.
Now I suppose that bringing it to 0V should solve the problem, but is it just matter of replacing the opamp with ground? Do you see anything else to take care of?

20150110_175029-1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  562.97 KB
 Viewed:  540 Time(s)

20150110_175029-1.jpg

Starspawn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What you want to do there is cut between the R2 and C1 points, and then connect another ground point to the C1 ground/output ground.
Then it will be as the other schematic.
But be sure that youre tracing is correct first ...
umschmitt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So the node where R2 and R3 meet should be connected to the opamp supplying the bias voltage, not to the minus of the output (which should be your ground), as starspawn wrote. Your dotted line between R3 and R4 should lead to… nothing! Furthermore, there's no capacitor at the output of the CA3080… Maybe you zapped a couple things while reverse drawing the circuit, otherwise it's a strange design to say the least!

Edit: you posted another drawing while i was writing… Starspawn is once more right. Also please put a cap at the output of the freaking OTA!

marioguzzi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks guys, it's working fine now!
umschmitt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kühl.
Starspawn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yay! Smile
marioguzzi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

here's a picture Smile

20150111_150516.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.59 MB
 Viewed:  386 Time(s)

20150111_150516.jpg

benuron

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I need help Sad

I build the dual ds7 from Uncle's stripboard layout, but I don't get any sound.
Apparently everything is fine, the only response I get is with the decay all the way up I start hearing the trigger pulse. LFO seems fine as I checked driving one led through a transistor.

Any one got the same problem? Any suggestions? Idea

On the pic there are somecomponents missing but not anymore)

WP_20141226_002.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.55 MB
 Viewed:  350 Time(s)

WP_20141226_002.jpg

Starspawn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks right, but what have you done with the potentiometers when testing?
Id double check the cuts under again, and check the soldering.
benuron

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I double check everything changed the transistors (by the way I am using bc547) Is there something more I can do before changing the IC's?

WP_20150307_003.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.9 MB
 Viewed:  349 Time(s)

WP_20150307_003.jpg

Starspawn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, youve grounded the output pin in the jack sockets instead of the ring/ground pin (ground should be the lonely pin near panel), and your signal to the switched pin (so when somethings inserted its not connected).
Also not sure of the pot wiring, if you have a pot sitting on your table, with legs pointing to you, shaft up, then 1 is your leftmost pin.
Check against this: http://m.bareille.free.fr/ds7clone/ds7wiring.gif
benuron

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you Starspawn for the tips! Very Happy

This jacks have the ground ring pin on the side. I tested for continuity and the tip is not grounded.
Also double, triple checked the pots. I did the pin 1 the most left over with the shaft up (but if I wire it backwards wouldn't hurt, just the response would be on backwards Razz )
strato54s

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: helpl with mods!!!!! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi everyone this my first post
im rooky in electronic
i built my ds7 clone (excellent Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy )
and i have some question
what is the difference with vca mods and cv mods?????
how to made the cv mods i dont understand the "nodal point"

This machine is excellent and so funny

(ps someone know something about this machine)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv6etgvw4GE
roboter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am planning on building this, does anybody know why the filter after the VCO has such a low cutoff? Won't this cause attenuation with increasing VCO frequency? Also what is the output waveform of this VCO and is there a link where this (or a similar) VCO is explained?
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 18 of 19 [453 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 16, 17, 18, 19 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: