electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Stereo mixing
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
SUGARAT

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:38 pm    Post subject: Stereo mixing
Subject description: Mixing and panning lunetta signals
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I figured I could do a lot better than the the little three channel mixer I built into my synth so I broke it out and expanded it into this. 4 input channels each with a volume knob and a mute switch for both right and left output channels. Put it together only an hour ago but so far made some cool bouncing sequences and nice sounding stereo drones.
The open holes along the top are for quarter inch inputs that I want to add so that other signals can be mixed in. On the back are the two 1/4 outs and a banana jack for connecting ground to the synth.
Other things I would like to try once I have the parts are replacing the the switches with a panning knob or using vactrols to get smoother transitions.

Does anybody else have tricks they like to use to control stereo position with logic? I've seen a little bit on here but not a lot. Seems to me there would be quite a lot that could be done.

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  234.99 KB
 Viewed:  336 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

image.jpg

PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cynosure posted a circuit here to create a stereo effect.
And I know Les Hall also did something but I'm not sure if I can locate that, else i'll post a link.

My lunetta VCO's have both a square and saw output, so I sometimes pan those differently, or use one as a pitch tracker to
track the other VCO. Using a divider can also be useful to create a stereo effect from one source.
And of course tapping into different points of the same patch.

The mixer I have in my lunetta has 2 outputs which would be hardpanned left/right, so I use the panning control on my main mixer to
adjust that.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SUGARAT

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The schematic Les designed was the first thing I tried. I liked the effect. Sort of a mix between choppy hard panning and smoother stereo fade. However, I found the popping from the analogue multiplexing made it unusable with some sounds esp when switching really fast. Maybe this could be improved on by placing the volume resistors on the other side of the mux so that the pop is also attenuated or maybe I just needed to play with the op amps.

I think it was your mixer, PHOBOS, that got me thinking that it might be better to just use a mixer with stereo and volume control on each channel and use AND gates or whatever kind of logic to send a sound wherever. This way you could also, like you said, pan different outs from the same patch so that each speaker puts out its own "voice" but bits are passed between them.

Also, going crazy on the toggles while jamming is a super easy way to do it. Sort of goofy but tongue
RingMad

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For completeness, the circuit Les / inventor came up with was a 4052-based thing here: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-48764.html

I used it in my Spacial Percussionizer, which remains one of my favorite sound boxes.

Indeed, it does click, something that did bother me in the beginning, but couldn't easily fix. But since that box makes percussive sounds anyway, it was acceptable, and now it's just part of its character.

Another problem with it is that there are only 4 different volume possibilities, and the channels are dependent. i.e. if one channel is full volume, the other channel is always off, if one channel is 1/3 * V, the other is always 2/3 * V.

I'm currently working on an improved version of my box, but I couldn't come up with any CMOS-based spatializer that wasn't too complicated. So I'm using two PICAXE-08M2's to generate random voltages, which go through simple 1-transistor VCAs to give smoother transitions. This gives about 20 different volume levels per channel, and since they are independent, that's 400 volume possibilities, although in practice it doesn't really sound like it.

James

.: www.jamesschidlowsky.ca :.
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: