electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » YuSynth
Problem with the EMS Filter
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
aka.kike1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject: Problem with the EMS Filter
Subject description: Frequency pot doesn't work
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi everyone

I have build ems filter (discrete version).

The filter worked fine, i needed to change the value of R41 to 220K. i trimmed it and everything was OK,

Next time when i powered the synth the frequency pot didn't work.
Everything is going trough the filter, when i play with resonance pot i hear
slight difference?

What it could be?

Maybe the CA3046?
I had spare TL074 and replaced it, nothing happen.

Can anyone offer something i could try, I have already ordered new CA3046.
Sebo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I had the same problem. I built my EMS VCF a few years back, after deal with the resonance and input overdrive problems the filter stops working. The cutoff pot only works between 50 and 200 Hz. After a long time I finally get the time to look at it. I changed the CA3040 and the filter start working again, but after a month or so it fails again...
Now I'm trying to figure what's wrong in the circuit, and why the CA3046 stops working...

https://www.facebook.com/cosaquitos/
aka.kike1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you Sebo for the reply, I think mine stopped working when i plug in the velocity from my mididac into resonance cv input but i don't know for sure. Maybe it didn't work before that, who knows!?
I had bought the cheapest CA3046 from ebay, so now I have ordered Intersil.
I will change it and see will it work and how much.
I will post on that.
Snaper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry about hijacking your thread, but have a question about the freq pot, so I decided not to create a new one for it.
I've finished my lovely EMS, with the suggested (in the Yusynth-Euro thread) +-12V mods.
After applying the "680k - to 220k" mod , the resonance is here Very Happy
But.
The freq pot is still a bit "odd".

I've recorded a sample :

https://soundcloud.com/encoder909/ems

Basically I'm just tweaking the freq pot. As you can here, it react slowly for the fast movements (end of the recording) and seems that something wrong with it. there is no, erghm..."true lowpass" here?
Snaper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Snaper wrote:
Sorry about hijacking your thread, but have a question about the freq pot, so I decided not to create a new one for it.
I've finished my lovely EMS, with the suggested (in the Yusynth-Euro thread) +-12V mods.
After applying the "680k - to 220k" mod , the resonance is here Very Happy
But.
The freq pot is still a bit "odd".

I've recorded a sample :

https://soundcloud.com/encoder909/ems

Basically I'm just tweaking the freq pot. As you can here, it react slowly for the fast movements (end of the recording) and seems that something wrong with it. there is no, erghm..."true lowpass" here?

Update!
Changed the CA3046 (got a bunch) until I found one which is sounds OK. (Seems they are very different. Tried RCA and Harris, finally, used a Harris one.)
They key is that this filter is very sensitive to the input.
Actually, because lack of panel space, I did not used the attenuator for the inputs (only for CVs).
After run this thru an attenuator modul the filter starts to "shine", and everything seems to work correctly.
All in all, it is a very uniques sounding stuff, and also very very sensitive.
I think this will be one of my fav filters Very Happy
Thanks Yvess!
aka.kike1

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have replaced the ca3046 with harris one.
It works for 15 days now. No problems.
I will post if something changes.
Thank you all for your posts
wackelpeter

Audio files: 10

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Funny Thing...

Just had some problems with my ems VCF too...

It was a bit different... the filter stopped working at all... nothing came out of it...

my problem was, that the 12V regulator was shutting down... there was no short, the Regulator wasn't getting hot (i used not the 100mA Version as i had none at hand and instead pulled the bigger 1A version on my board)
it was running only when i powered it on and afterwards connected all what was powered from the 12V rail...

i thought that it could be somehow that these regulators do Need some minimal load (which seemed to be true after Google research... 5-10mV)
so i hooked up an LED on the 12V rail... same as before) then i started experimenting with protecting diodes on the regulator and voila by putting 4007 diodes as short cut protection across the in and out and between out and gnd, now it works and since then didn't start to fail again...

Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » YuSynth
Jump to: