electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Modular Synthesis
Aluminum Panels
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
joshs

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Aluminum Panels Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Disclaimer: I realize this going to sound like shilling, but I have absolutely no connection at all with Online Metals.

I'm in the (extremely slow) process of building a DIY modular synth. I'm doing something in the vicinity of Eurorack format, but I'm building everything myself, so it's not exact. I just scored a great deal on Craigslist, spent about $50 for two rows of about 80HP (recycled lab equipment). But what I wanted to share was that based on a recommendation from a Muff Wiggler post, I checked out OnlineMetals.com for aluminum panels. Ended up being a great deal and arrived in a couple of days (I live one state away from them). I got 6 2.5'' x 5.125'' panels (umm... in hindsight, I probably should have gotten them in an exact HP width) for about $3 each. Way cheaper than I've seen blanks for elsewhere. Of course, you need to do all the drilling yourself. They say they do 0.125'' precision, but the pieces were within what I can measure with a plain old ruler. Spent a lot of time looking around for a good source, so I wanted to share what I found. I still haven't turned them into panels, but they feel sturdy. I got Aluminum 6061-T6 Bare 0.063” thick, although the recommendation I read used 0.08''... I'll try and report back here when I finish a panel and let you know if that thickness works out. I have a picture on my latest blog entry:

http://zackfacco.net/2015/04/state-of-the-synth/
joshs

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can now confirm: 6061-T6 Bare 0.063” is perfect for the task. I've seen recommendations for thicker, but can't imagine any advantage. BTW, I also found a neat trick for attaching the PCB to the panel. Got it from hex inverter on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-ugh8sbHw4

Still haven't been able to reliably etch the front panel... but I've done three now and the process seems to be getting a little smoother/cleaner.
stringsthings

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How's the build going? I was surfing the net a while back and also found the same metal store. Can't beat the price for some blank panels. I also plan on getting some cut blanks (10/12 hp) to house some DIY modules. Right now, I'm focusing on some MFOS stuff. For labeling, I think I might sand the blanks down and use some clear laser decals.
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Modular Synthesis
Jump to: