electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
DIY Oscillator using 4093 Trigger - Suggestions
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
taita-sound

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject: DIY Oscillator using 4093 Trigger - Suggestions Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dear partners!

I read the Nicolas Collins book and I would like to start my oscillator project using the 4093 element. So, I need that you help me with some Schematic for begin to work it. I built sometime ago a 555 oscillator and I found it very funny.

Greetings
Javier
Steveg

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello Javier,

4093 based oscillators are used a lot in Lunettas (only second to 40106 oscillators).

Try http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?highlight=4093&t=64169 for one 4093 based circuit.

There are a lot of other examples there in other threads.
taita-sound

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello Steveg!

Thanks for your reply. Just a new question. I would like to add 2 different oscillators with 4 controls (potentiometers) so, get a different sound on each configuration. Is it possible to do in one circuit this?

Greetings
Javier
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome party!

besides the NANDulator you can also make 4 oscillators and chain them, like here.
You could also make 4 oscillators and just mix them together with resistors or diodes but than you aren't using the NAND
function and are better of using a 40106 which has 6 gates. An example of that setup is the hetereodyne space explorer.
(hmm that site seems to be suspended but you can still see it at the internet archive).
But I think the NANDulator will give you most bang for it's buck with a single NAND chip.

taita-sound wrote:
I would like to add 2 different oscillators with 4 controls (potentiometers) so, get a different sound on each configuration. Is it possible to do in one circuit this?

hmm I don't really understand what you mean by that. You can change capacitors for different frequencies
but the outputs will always be squarewaves.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
taita-sound

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello PHOBoS!

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I mean different frequencies. Just a new question. The first schematic that you sent me has a led on it. Should I to reemplace them for potentiometers or switchs? I would like to get audio from this oscillator. What would be the output audio?

Greetings
Javier
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There's no LED on it, you're probably confused by the breadboard design but the text below it says:
Quote:
The red thing between pins 2 & 3 is the resistor; start w/ 100k, or variable (pot, photocell).

The audio output is labeled 'out'.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
taita-sound

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello PHOBoS!

I finished the past Saturday, the circuit that you suggested me in the protoboard and the result is amazing. I tried with different capacitors and I found the best configuration. Now my new question is:

I would like to add some kind of effect on it for get a new kind of wave on this circuit. What do you suggest me? I mean a new wave not just square. It would be great to get another too.

Greetinds
Javier
Steveg

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Have a look at this thread http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-62295.html for ideas on how to make a square wave more interesting.

You should have a good read through the Lunetta forum archives. There is a lot of interesting circuits there.
taita-sound

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello Steveg!

Thanks for your reply. I would like to work some similar to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0Fv77mRwFo

Greetings
Javier
Steveg

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Javier,

There are so many possibilities that it is impossible for me to suggest anything. What you are building are lunetta style circuits. Please go down one level into the lunetta forum and have a look at the circuits and listen to the samples until you find something you like with a circuit you can build.
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

and since these chips work with digital signals you can only change the result at the output,
for which synaesthesia's circuits would be very useful. Or you could simply take several outputs from
the gates and mix them together with different resistor values (or pots or an an R2R ladder)
for some variation.

taita-sound

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello Steveg and PHOBoS!

I was looking this 4093 nand synth and I noticed that it can be changed the sounds with a switch. How I could to do it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2ankkDaFPo

Greetings
Javier
Steveg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello Javier, It is impossible to tell for sure but the most likely answer is an extra capacitor is being switched in.

Phobos has an example here: http://electro-music.com/forum/phpbb-files/pwmxl_948.gif Look at the three oscillators on the right. All have a second capacitor that can be switched in to lower the oscillator rate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: