electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Sequencers
Grab that can of babyoil!
Page 2 of 2 [27 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
morbius

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As analog sequencers go- I have two of the dotcom Q119's (pictured up near the top by elektro). And, I've worked with others including... Moog 960/962, and the two found in the ARP2500 (I esp loved the Mix-Sequencer, and wish Roger would do a dotcom clone of that... 101 uses, no doubt!)... but, I also have two Q960's (extra functions that the Moog 960 doesn't have), and six Q962's (love these sequential switches - use 'em for so many things).

So- here it is... I asked Roger to autograph it... being the first one and all. It might add some value to it (or not)... but it means something to me.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

The greatest advange this sequencer holds over other analogs... is the open-ended patching for each stage... the in & out triggers. This is the secret to how it can do so much. Those who own or have worked with the 960 understand, and those who have not... you can't really understand until you've had serveral hours to experiement.

Ok... so I love modules that serve numerous functions... and the 960/962 combo (and they are meant to be together as a unit)... are quite powerful by themselves, but when you use other modules, some of the things you can do can be impressive. Let me think of how many base-functions I can think of as I sit here.....

VC 24 step sequencer (can be randomized)
VC counter
VC logic switch/controller
VC preset patch controller
VC frequency divider
VC wave shaper
VC universal event generator (random or sequenced)
VC timer
VC gate/CV delay

(how am I doin'?)

Of course, when you add additional 960's and 962's, you double your capabilities... maybe even more than double. It's not just about how many notes----how long of a sequence it can do. It's about control, and about being able to control to and from each individual stage.

For those who may be wondering... yes, you can increase the number of steps by adding (or patching into) other existing sequencers, such as (in my case) the Q119's. I can run all four of my analog sequencers in series, which gives 96 total steps. But, I think that by some creative patching, one could exceed even that.

Just my personal opinion, mind you- but to me, there comes a point where I have to draw the line, and decide if it's just notes I need, a digital is the way to go. Analogs... again, IMO... are better suited for unique, shorter sequences... and for incorporation into automated analog patches, where certain events are triggered at certain times, or when certain conditions are met. (Am I full of it, or what?)

I didn't think I would ever get to use/own a pair of 960's again (new)(and not COTK), and knowing what they are capible of, that was depressing. And equal, was my delight when I discovered that all of those 960/962 posts that I had made on the dotcom users list seemed to make a difference.

At any rate- thanx to all of you for putting up with me on this post, and whether you agree with anything I've said or not, I welcome your opinions, discussions, comments, or questions.

PS - mosc... that is awesome. I can see the things which inpired you.

morbius001a@yahoo.com
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

THX Morbius! Yet another old thread resurrected!

Quote:
VC 24 step sequencer (can be randomized)
VC counter
VC logic switch/controller
VC preset patch controller
VC frequency divider
VC wave shaper
VC universal event generator (random or sequenced)
VC timer
VC gate/CV delay

(how am I doin'?)

A grand list! Doing fine!

I really like the fact that you mentioned the use of a sequencer for staring states which can be used in a "preset" kinda way. People tend to forget this one. This is really cool to keep in mind when building weird non-sequencer based patches. Adding a sequencer in order to store states ( CVs ) somewhere within the patch can really take it away to the twilight zone. Hell, this is more fun than burning embassies.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Page 2 of 2 [27 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Sequencers
Jump to: