electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Reviews, Editorials and Commentary » Reviews, Reports and Interviews
The Gathering - Nov 15, 2003 - Philadelphia
Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 6:17 pm    Post subject: The Gathering - Nov 15, 2003 - Philadelphia Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Orbital Decay Opening The Gathering
The Gathering is perhaps Philadelphia's premier electronic music concert venue. Last night, November 15, 2003 two local groups, Orbital Decay and The Ministry of Inside Things shared the bill. It was another fine evening of live electronic music for which Philadelphia is globally known.

Orbital Decay, a duo consisting of Terry Furber and Scott Watkins opened the concert with a single multi-media piece, called Galactic Sandstorm (correct me if I didn't this right, OD). Terry said after the concert that the score for the music was the video itself. It indeed is an excellent score. Terry has been working on the video for months. The video is made of images of trees, clouds, space pictures (real photos from Nasa including the Hubble Space Telescope, and artists' animation) , and many computer generated images basted on fractals. Terry is really getting into making videos. I expect to see these at all future Orbital Decay performances.

The new video is really beautiful. The form of the piece is symmetrical; starting from Earthly views of trees and clouds through views of the macro universe - planets, nebulae and galaxies, into the mathematical constructs of expanding or contracting fractals (zoom in and out - simultaneously) and back to Earth in reverse order. The music follows the video through alternating sections of pulsating pattern-based rhymthic sequences and spacey ambient soundscapes.

Orbital Decay breaks new ground at every new performance. Not only was the visual part impressive, but the music itself was as usual top notch. To me, the music seemed to have a number of melodic themes that unified the 45 minute set. I think these melodies were mostly played by Scott on the processed guitar, but it's hard to tell with electronic music. I do know that Orbital Decay does not use any prerecorded music. Everything is played live in real time. They are purists in this regard. This gives their music a perceivable level of excitement, even in the most relaxed ambient sections.

Unabashed shameless plug: Orbital Decay is one of the top selling artists on the electro-music.com. Why don't you order a few CDs? Help out the artists and help support our site. Click Here!

Ministry of Inside Things
The Ministry of Inside Things, Chuck Van Zyl and Art Cohen, finished off the concert in fine festive fashion. Their set started off with search lights spinning around the old church with a heavily processed voice saying something like "standby" repeatedly. The musicians came "on stage" in the darkness and when the lights came on they appeared in splendid costume - white tuxes with huge white hats! Art was holding his red electric guitar and Chuck was standing in front of a keyboard rig on a stand. I was surprised; I've never seen them go "show biz".

The music they played was again alternating ambient spacey music separated by pulsing sequences in 4/4 time. I especially enjoy Art's guitar playing. He sometimes plays obtuse non-tonal melodies that are quite original. Often he plays bluesy figures with the pulsating rhythms as well. I must say, I thought of the Blues Brothers at times with the costumes and the wailing blues guitar sounds. Lot's of fun.

They did two pieces that sounded quite similar to me, but the last section of the first one was exceptionally beautiful. There was a very sparse sequence of bell-like sounds, but the tempo was considerably slower than usual. This was more like an adagio. This sequence was supported by a beautiful drone-like like pad - not strictly a drone; it did change pitch at a very slow tempo. There were haunting melodies on top. I was reminded of the beautiful slow movements of Mozart.

That was the last Gathering of 2003. I look forward to 2003.
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Reviews, Editorials and Commentary » Reviews, Reports and Interviews
Jump to: