electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Building Blocks
Differentiator / Z-1 Delay Generator
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: Differentiator / Z-1 Delay Generator
Subject description: super-economic building block (2 mixers)
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As mentioned in previous posts, I'm going through my G2 folders and publishing anything I ever came up with that might be useful.

This super-cheap building block produces both per-sample differentiation of an incoming signal (=detection/output of instantaneous change) as well as an one-sample delay of the signal (z-1).

It neatly exploits the way the G2 patch compiler prioritizes things, and thus only requires only 2 mixer modules. Therefore however, the module placement is absolutely crucial! (If you place the lower module above the upper, everything stops working.)

The demo shows both differentiation (turning a triangle osc into a square) and z-1 delay (via nulling with an 1-sample audio delay line). It's all audio-rate obviously. If you need control rate, you'll have to break the feedback loop and reconnect it so the patch re-compiles accordingly.

Cheap and useful for low-level filter designs that require z-1 stages (eg. biquads), instantaneous detection of value changes etc...

cheers,
t

CheapDiff Z-1_TK.pch2
 Description:
z-1 differentiation and z-1 delay in one super-cheap building block (only two mixer modules).

Download
 Filename:  CheapDiff Z-1_TK.pch2
 Filesize:  1.42 KB
 Downloaded:  4430 Time(s)

BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good stuff, keep em coming Smile
Electromagnetic Wave

G2 patch files: 38

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow! This is a nice hack ! I never thought of using the way the G2 patch compiler prioritizes things as an audio rate / control rate.

Thanks!

Smile
Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Electromagnetic Wave wrote:
Wow! This is a nice hack ! I never thought of using the way the G2 patch compiler prioritizes things as an audio rate / control rate.

Excuse me, but I think you misunderstood me. Smile I was referring to the way the compiler prioritizes the calculation order of modules. This cheap 2-module circuit only works as long as the lower module stays were it is. If you move it above the upper, the design doesn't work anymore.

The audio-/control-rate reference was only made because you have to break the feedback loop and re-patch it in order for the circuit to re-compile to control-rate, if that's the type of signal you're inputting and want to process at that rate.

Of course, you can also differentiate control-rate signals at audio-rate. The phase-accumulator/trivial-sawtooth DIY oscillator core building block I just posted does exactly this, in order to turn a control-rate sawtooth LFO into a trivial audio-rate one via linear inter-/extrapolation, in order to exploit the accurate tuning properties of LFO modules.

cheers,
t
Electromagnetic Wave

G2 patch files: 38

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What I understud is that you can affect the sound with the way the compiler prioritizes the calculation order of modules. This is new to me ...

Quote:
If you move it above the upper, the design doesn't work anymore.

Yes I tried this. No more sound when I move it... the design doesn't work anymore as you said.

I miss something ?

Quote:

The phase-accumulator/trivial-sawtooth DIY oscillator core building block I just posted does exactly this, in order to turn a control-rate sawtooth LFO into a trivial audio-rate one via linear inter-/extrapolation

Yes. I have an eye on this nice patch

Smile
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Building Blocks
Jump to: