electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  Faux Pas Quartet and friends Music From Last Thursday
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Wacky, Zany, Weird (and possibly Odd) Sound Maker Project
Page 9 of 9 [206 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 7, 8, 9
Fenris

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Excellent PCB. guess what im doing tomorrow
Subject description: my first WSG
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi all

this is my first post. can i start by saying what a brilliant forum of creative people this is and well done to ray wilson for putting the design 'out there'.
I have recently completed a project based on 3 disparate circuits. A voice modulator based on the defunct DKS kit the vader mod. A TDA2003 amplifier circuit, and a sound to light unit of which i found the schematic for on the interweb. the vader mod had its own amp based on the LM368 so was way under powered for its eventual 'home' So i removed it and its associated passive components and spliced in the TDA circuit. Then the sound to light was itself added to this. 2 months ago I produced my first PCB ever. Using press n peel. it passed just. since then i have started using photo paper and the results were much better. So my circuit is on its own PCB measuring 121mm X 67mm. Any way on topic........I have been looking for ages during the previous project as well for a 'sound effect' module with little luck until i came across the WSG site and finally this forum. The PCB in this thread is etched and im off for parts tomorrow. I dont have a printer but i do have 'PCB wizard' software, a usb stick, and a local printer who has been printing my prototype patterns for my other project.so i quite literally drew the design 'live' to get it! My primary search was for something that would sound like a 'laser weapon' i am hoping this will do the trick but if not it will be excellent for ambient noise for the 'real project' that my voice mod is for..................a full size Genesis Dalek. however i have rediscovered my childhood hobby in electronics again. but this time round it seems i can build things that actually work when i have finished. so i will be sticking at it and maybe have a mess around with adding to the basic WSG circuit. I still regard myself as a novice. building from plans or schematics i can do if there is no special layout rules required in a project. i understand how components work, ohms law etc but i cant build my own thing from my head Sad . that said i have managed to do my voice mod with sound to light and solve some problems that cropped up but i think i was lucky. i hope i am as lucky with this little treasure Smile .

regards

Fenris
Narbotic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Welcome to the boards, Fenris =)

Your experiences sound a lot like my own - the WSG definitely is a 'gateway' project, awesome stuff. Have fun exploring!

oh btw - "luck" can often be interchangeable with "talent" Wink

C

Fenris

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cheers Narbotic.

I have on occasion been called talented but with the massive gap in my capabilities I tend to be a bit reticent about it. Still I can do what I can do and it works which is the main thing Smile . I have got all the bits bar 1 1M pot and the switches. I have bought enough of the rest of the bits to build 2 units. So I will build the first and have a play then I will make the second and join them as per the schematic. The PCB I drew up from the original image is 131 x 52mm. I reckon i could shrink it further if I wired the pots but its fine as is. I have also changed the switches so both are single pole single throw, off board and amended the PCB to reflect that. If i had thought about it I would have made provision on the PCB to fit the 'missing parts' that join 2 units together. Still thats easy to sort out. Once I'm up and running i can make a little 12VDC-9VDC dropper and build a TDA2003 amplifier for it. The world is my soldering iron Smile . I have 5 days to build it as far as I can as on the 5th I have a minor op' on my soldering hand that will render me inactive for 2 weeks!!!!!!!! Thats going to be murder as I really have the bug (I just hope it's not C-dif or MRSA!!!!) Sad . Catch you all later.

regards

Fenris
Narbotic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good luck to you!
Take care of the hand! - the solder can wait (a little while at least )

Fenris

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cheers I will. I will at least, still, be able to surf the net and operate my digital watch Wink . I find I am already looking at VCA's VCO'S, LFO's and all the other associated bits. Finding it a little hard to get a handle on how they go together to be used but I'm sure I'll get there.

regards

Fenris
moshe1983

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject:  My WSG (based on Lorenzo's pcb)does not work Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi to All.
I've just finished my WSG based on Lorenzo's PCB. But something is wrong.
There is no sound.
You can hear it only when you touch the first pot (cables). When you touching the VOL pot (is not working) and the first POT - from the left - WSG is loud, but others potentiometers are not working correctly.
I used
HEF40106bp
and UA 741cn
Page 9 of 9 [206 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 7, 8, 9
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Jump to: