electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
2016 Builds!
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 6 of 7 [175 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
AlanP

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wackelpeter wrote:
The one thing i can't get work is getting a nice sine wave otu of the shaper with the other FET.
I always have at one edge a small steep flank on the signal... as can be seen on the scopeshot...
Anyone used 2SK30 for this and solved it or any other recommendations for easily obtainable and cheap FET's?

There's a thread on muffs about cloning the 259 -- ISTR that one poster claims that about one out of ten FETs (of the stock type) behave properly within the sine shaping circuit. Factory-selected at Buchla for the original 259.

LFLabs -- that new SMD quad LFO layout is SLICK! Very Happy
LFLab

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks!

Really nice VC-LFO, does need a little help to get started when power cycling sometimes.

On the 258j FET, I have four of those boards, but still need to select FETs. I believe they are J201 though (still have a bunch of them). But it is a certain Idss that they need to be selected on.
wackelpeter

Audio files: 10

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

LFLab wrote:
Thanks!

Really nice VC-LFO, does need a little help to get started when power cycling sometimes.

On the 258j FET, I have four of those boards, but still need to select FETs. I believe they are J201 though (still have a bunch of them). But it is a certain Idss that they need to be selected on.

Well that's normal for the VC-LFO as far as i remember from Yves' description... mine does this too... what i maybe sometime will try out to give it a wider range of CV control... hope it's as simple as i think it could be...

regarding the 258 VCO clone, i think the problem here is rather the waveshaping part of my VCO than my sine shaping... the sine directly at the drain looks really nice and sinusoid... no matter if you change source or drain on my 2SK30 FET's... amplitude hmm??... can't remember right now...
what i had to change are a few resistors in my waveshaping circuit that it worked with the 2SK30... on the second build with the same resistor values i have totally different results (very minimal effect of CV or pot for wavesahping)...
but as i decided to go for at least 2 more (this time the square/sine version) of them i will order one or two hands full of 2SK30's as these are the only N-Channel FET my retailer still offers for reasonable prices... the 2n3819 is gone as are the BF245 and they never carried the J201 or similar...

LFLab

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I bought both 3819's and J201 on ebay (not asia).
Also found some local stock in NL. It's been a few years though.
richardc64

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

LFLab wrote:
That Richardc64 multimode VCA

Man... that's the best anything of mine has ever looked. Well done, LFLab!

donpachi

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

LFLab wrote:
A Roland 100m EG clone:
Made my own layout and tacked on a end of cycle trigger, works really well, superb little envelope generator.

Great idea! Which one did you use? Is it your own EOC circuit?
kkissinger

Audio files: 42

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cfish wrote:
Very nice Alanp. I'm jelious of the progress everyone is making while I'm stuck working all the time right now.

Lol... I like to build and there is so little time. 😐

LFLab

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

donpachi wrote:
LFLab wrote:
A Roland 100m EG clone:
Made my own layout and tacked on a end of cycle trigger, works really well, superb little envelope generator.

Great idea! Which one did you use? Is it your own EOC circuit?

Thanks!

I used a comparator, as present in the Fonik version of the Thomas Henry CMOS ADSR see here

richardc64 wrote:
LFLab wrote:
That Richardc64 multimode VCA

Man... that's the best anything of mine has ever looked. Well done, LFLab!

Thanks Richard! The circuit is all your achievement though thumb up
wackelpeter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Suffering the last few days from an acute solderitits i couldn't withstand to fill up my cabinets with a few more modules.

Finally i finished the "brain" and filled the last gap with a second CGS pulse divider... Guess now 2 pulse divider, 2 gate sequencer, a master divider, 2 burst generators and some logic together with various dividers, logic and gate to trigger converters in my other cases should give me enough triggering options... Smile
The other modules in this cabinet are:
1xWogglebug, 2xTH4046 VCO, 2xCGS Mixer, 1x Polivoks VCF, 1x Scott Bernardi VC Delay, 1x TH X-Fader/VCA, 1x Morph Lag, 1x TH AD/AR, 2x Serge VC Slopes (or just one DUSG), 1x MFOS Noise Cornocupia, 3x Serge 2 Way Switches, 1x Serge 4/1way switch plus a few gate to trigger converters

The second cabinet so far has is Korg Ps3100 Resonator Clone, 3x LowPassGate, 2x 258VCO (saw/sine), 1x Buchla Random Voltages, 2x buchlaesque CV processor, 1x mini mixer, 1x Yusynth VC Panner, 2x Buchla Easel EG (of which the second one has a bug as the EG becomes slower and slower within time independently of the trigger, have to take a look again at this) and finally 1x Serge Smooth&Stepped Generator... left space to be filled with 2x 258 VCO square/sine 2x Ian Fritz analog XOR and either a Buchla Pulser or the Buchla 291 BPF

IMG_01321.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.1 MB
 Viewed:  329 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

IMG_01321.jpg

IMG_01311.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  904.85 KB
 Viewed:  314 Time(s)

IMG_01311.jpg

PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

that looks great! Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AlanP

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wackelpeter wrote:
Suffering the last few days from an acute solderitits i couldn't withstand to fill up my cabinets with a few more modules.

A few, the man says. That lot of modules should keep you busy and noisy for awhile Smile

wackelpeter wrote:
1x Buchla Random Voltages

Is this the one from the 208 Music Easel? I've got a basic layout for that one at the moment I'm working on, hopefully it's happy with being fed +/-12V.
wackelpeter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
that looks great! Razz

Thank you Phobos! But don't come closer and take a look again, especially in the inside of my cabinets... would change that great to what a mess... okay, on the frontboards everything looks fine and usually only the power cords from my stripboards are flying loose around... Smile

wackelpeter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AlanP wrote:
wackelpeter wrote:

A few, the man says. That lot of modules should keep you busy and noisy for awhile Smile

wackelpeter wrote:
1x Buchla Random Voltages

Is this the one from the 208 Music Easel? I've got a basic layout for that one at the moment I'm working on, hopefully it's happy with being fed +/-12V.

Well really only a few... from the big cabinet i only missed to start and then finish the pulse divider... these holes where there for nearly a year now...

The smaller cabinet i began at the end of august, when i had a few days free of work and nothing else to do...
Earlier these year i got those 19" rack from an old video management system
and found it would perfectly fit within my needs and a small wooden box...
There's one left with 2 rows only, then i think i'm done.

Okay i have my hands on a further 19" rack of 2 rows... but before i can get it, it will take some months...

Maybe a sequencer (The MFOS Variclock seems to be interesting) and some effect stuff reverb tank, still have a bunch of PT-delay chips and a small aluminium briefcase with some of Ian Fritz's VCO's... maybe the TZVCO or some the sawtooth VCO... don't know...

At least it all depends on space in my rooms... or i should start to build weatherproof and give outdoor performances then... Very Happy

The Buchal random voltages are those who are floating here aorund... The schematics where from Scott Stites and based on or re-drawn from a Buchla design...
Edit: can be found here:
http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-30768.html&postorder=asc
...and well it's from the easel.
Quick and easy build also on stripboard not to complicated...
Maybe for some purposes the range of the voltages is too much, but those can be attentuated with a pot onbard or a mixer before you plug them in your module... for such stuff i usually use a bunch of mixers...

Cfish

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Almost to my goal for this year. One blank plate on the end, is yet to be decided. Really just need another mixer for what I do most.

Not as pretty as most on here, but it sounds way better than I ever expected when I started.

IMG_0525.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.59 MB
 Viewed:  209 Time(s)

IMG_0525.JPG

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

But it is pretty Very Happy I like the matte black chalkboard look, nice contrast with
the colored patchcables. And from what Ive heard it sounds pretty good too!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AlanP

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's like I've heard one or two rockers say... you gotta have the ****ing attitude!

I like the panels, too Smile (as long as the controls have even basic labelling!)
Grumble

Audio files: 30

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks real nice Cfish!
vladosh

Audio files: 46

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

it took me a while to complete this ,so maybe is not 2016 build ,here are the modules :
Buchla 258 x 2
Serge Positive slew x 1
Serge Negative Slew x 1
Serge VCFQ x 1
PT VC Echo x 1
Paparail VC Aux x 1
NLC VCA x 1
VC Slew Befako x 1
Yusynth Pulse Delay x 1
Serge Comparator x 1
Osamu H. Sample and Hold x 1
Serge SSG x 1
Serge Middle Wavemultiplier Section x 1
NLC Neuron x 1
Electronotes Wave Animator x 1
Serge Resonant EQ x 1
Bissel Morphlag x 1
Buchla 208 Random x 1
Yusynth Noise x 1
Serge Peak and Through x 1
connected with NLC Differenc Rectifier
NLC Sloth Chaos x 1
E4M Xmix x 1

now all i need is more cables Smile))
and i realized ..a second panel like this too

20161013_164450.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.39 MB
 Viewed:  202 Time(s)

20161013_164450.jpg

20161005_160009.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.38 MB
 Viewed:  202 Time(s)

20161005_160009.jpg

Sound 45.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Sound 45.mp3
 Filesize:  4.62 MB
 Downloaded:  895 Time(s)

Last edited by vladosh on Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:29 am; edited 1 time in total
AlanP

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There is an old saying -- if it is stupid and it works, it is not stupid.

Vladosh, looks good to me! Cool Cool
wackelpeter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That looks very nice Vladosh.
Seems as we both built a lot of the same modules lately... Smile

All this is powered from one PSU??? Well i'm asking because in my latest cabinet the heat sinks for my regulators seem to get really hot and it's only about 630mA on the positive rail... maybe i have to build in bigger ones... at the moment they are about half the size of a cigarette box each..

And also... did you made the gain cells for the Serge VCQF yourself or did you used some PCB's from Ken?

vladosh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks ,this is also on same PSU wackelpeter ,i reuse heatsinks from computer PSU's worked fine so far .. i have a big transformer in this box so as i have seen somewhere here on forum i plan to feed a second box with the same transformer's AC ,not on picture but on the back of the box there is the 220V and a 4 pin jack to connect both ,and for the vcfq i made the gain cells myself while the filter itself is not so special really ,the '73 vcf sounds better as i recall ,and also i tried to make a cv filtering option on this filter but it introduced lot of noise
wackelpeter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ah okay... thanks for your reply.
Well i'm running mine from a 18VAC wall wart rated for 1,5A on the secondary... that should be enough... also the DC Voltage regulators are rated for 1,5A... but possibly ishould use larger heatsinks... well they don't go hot but still very warm... means you can touch them as long as you want and didn't burn your fingers but it get's very noticably warm...

Yes the 1973 VCF is very cool... have this too... it's besides the Yusynth Steiner one of my most used filters and i still bite myself in my back that i didn't voted for the option to get separate out for each channel in my serge resonant EQ... well therfore i'm planning to build the Buchla Comb Filter...

Think i'll omit the Serge VCQF from my further plans and only build the Buchla 281 BPF and maybe the Mutant Vactrol Filter or a few of it's sections...

vladosh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

it's normal for voltage regulators to be hot as i know ,these heatsinks from old PC's are great i use one for each regulator and it apears to be fine like that ,built many PSU's already and i always use those heatsinks ,you can find a old broken computer anywhere
wackelpeter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well the size of the heat sink should be no problem for me, i'm able to source really big ones from scrap... but at least they should fit onto the stripboard or PCB... as i don't have anything to measure the temperature on my heat sinks i'm guessing that it could be something between 60-70°C... feels like sitting on a warm radiator in the winter... first minutes it's nicely warm at the back but soon it becomes too hot and you would look for a better and a little bit cooler place to sit down... Laughing

I think i'm fine with those as they are... only plan to include 2 other 258 VCO's then it's finished... otherwise i have several other heat sinks here and can replace the one on the positive regulator with one 1/3rd bigger as the one already in there... the negative regulator hasn't so much to do and is much cooler, so need no changes there...

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

if they get really hot you could also spread the heat over multiple regulators. This is how I've been doing it and I know
Dave (skrog_productions) does this is as well. Also makes everything a bit more stable, since the circuits are somewhat
isolated from eachother.

-----------------------------------------------------
Actually finished something this year, which was pretty much finished 2.5 years ago but I didn't had the right knobs yet.
I finally found some nice ones. Cool

more info here

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 6 of 7 [175 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: