electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Les Hall's Projects including eChucK
Capacitive Controller
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
deltamodulator

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:16 am    Post subject: Capacitive Controller
Subject description: a project with sonic
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sonic and I had a great chat + telephone call last night about creating a capacitive sensing controller, probably spherical in shape. Here are some of the highlights of our discussion as well as my fading memory can recall.

approximately spherical in shape

sonic wants flats, so maybe dodecahedron

can experiment with a cube initially (that would be a first for me, approximating a sphere with a cube, lol)

sonic has no 3D printer, I have a very good 3D printer (Ultimaker 2+)

I just now received some electrically conductive filament

can print tesselations or all-in-one or half-spheres (half-shapes)

use Arduino-programmed ESP8266 chip for comm out of sphere, or just use

simple Arduino for starters and transition to WiFi later.

WiFi chip embedded in an electrically conductive device is not exactly smart lol

can use a Feather from Adafruit to get battery management with USB charging.

can also use inductive charging from Adafruit (then no connector at all, just s sealed shape!)

use a Processing program on the Mac/PC/Linux to receive WiFi and send out OSC locally or across the web.

Would be cool to make sensor readings available on the web. Maybe use Adafruit's cloud.

So, we had plenty of ideas and not much resolute thinking. In particular it's going to be challenging to extend the electric field of the sensors to outside the sphere. Anyway, we've got a project on our hands. I want to get something printed and playable by next week's Summer Solstice event.

Les out, praise the Lord!
sonic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice one Les. Yeah I think a new kind of tactile controller would be really cool, and I like the kind of playful direction this is going. I'm still a little hazy on what kind of responsiveness we can get from a capactive-based thing. I think it's important that the musician can get a predictable response from the same controller every time, so that different playing techniques could be developed over time without unexpected freaky output.

Is it worth considering other kinds of sensors too? I'd really like the controller to have a kind of elastic response when you press it in places - aftertouch basically. What kind of pressure sensors do midi keyboards use for aftertouch? Would it be possible to print a kind of pressure sensor using your new techniques?

Many questions. Anyhoo back to making veggie burgers...
deltamodulator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

After some discussion and imagineering plus some Thingiverse browsing, I have decided to make a dodecahedron (12 sides, not 20). In this shape every side is 5-sided and there are 12 sides. The 12 sides can be decorated in a variety of ways:

o 12 tribes of Judea (Israel)
o 12 months of the year
o 12 signs of the zodiac
o 12 step program steps
o certainly others I missed

So that's a good thing about 12 sides. See attachment for the two attempts at a dodecahedron I have tried. The first one I got the angles on the edges wrong. The second one has the correct angle but some printing error due to nozzle diameter and the way slicers work caused a slight gap. I will attempt to trim that gap on future attempts.

Need to make the next one big enough to hold the electronics and the batteries, plus add battery holders, electronics mounts, and a means of keeping the top and bottom attached.

Les
Les make a dodecahedron!

Dodecahedron - 1.jpg
 Description:
Two Dodecahedrons (12 sides each), left 1st try, right 2nd try
 Filesize:  1.66 MB
 Viewed:  421 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Dodecahedron - 1.jpg

deltamodulator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, and I re-connected the circuit with the ESP8266 module and the 9DOF module on a breadboard, plus loaded the software that I had put together before. Now next what is needed is to add WiFi communications.

Les
Les program a WiFi chip!
deltamodulator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is an image of some progress... Rechargeable AA NiCd batteries I bought some time ago, and 3D printed battery holders attached to 3D printed board mounting plates.

Les
Les doin' CAD again...

Dodecahedron Controller 5.png
 Description:
The controller bottom half with power and electronics mounts, still need to stabilize rather than "float" them.
 Filesize:  48.1 KB
 Viewed:  420 Time(s)

Dodecahedron Controller 5.png

deltamodulator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is the yellow (fourth try) controller with sufficient internal electronics to make a WiFi based orientation sensing device. Will add software and electronics with batteries soon.

Dodecahedron - 1 (1).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.84 MB
 Viewed:  431 Time(s)

Dodecahedron - 1 (1).jpg

Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Les Hall's Projects including eChucK
Jump to: