electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
Do you ever work on tracks in your head?
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
tdm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:35 am    Post subject: Do you ever work on tracks in your head? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There's only so much time in a day when you can sit down at your computer.
robsol
Stream Operator

Audio files: 495

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well... nothing is black and white so I can't say that I don't even think about tracks when away from the setup. However, I think it is better to not be too obsessed with one thing, thinking about it constantly... many people seem to go crazy that way, whether it is money, mathematics, God or whatever. Going crazy is not always a bad thing though...

If you are really deep into something, I think it is useful to let go of it and let it simmer in the subconscious for a while. You don't have to work hard all the time to be efficient.

Acoustic Interloper

Audio files: 89

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

robsol wrote:
let it simmer in the subconscious for a while.

Let it simmer in the subconscious pretty well summarizes my mind these days. The all-powerful subconscious has given up on the conscious awareness, which, after all, is not much more than a reflecting bubble.

A E J O T Z

Audio files: 148

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Music continually plays in my head. When I'm not paying particular attention it's like a mockingbird outside a closed window. When I pay attention it's like stepping outside under the tree. Sometimes, without my assistance it's very loud, like when I'm taking a shower. I often exit the shower with a new line in my head that I have to hurriedly notate (with my own screwy notation) or scat or play into a recorder. On more than one occasion I went from shower to synth and worked for an hour on a tune before getting dressed. Surprised

But closer to what I think is your question, sometimes I'm kind of stuck for a "next part." A main theme will play in my head and I'll carry it around with me, semi-deliberately trying out different accompaniments.

My compositions mostly just build vertically while yours (Anliyix) build vertically and horizontally, so I figure head-composing is quite different for you.

free albums at http://aejotz.bandcamp.com
listen to genre-defying synthetic music at http://sat-5.com

Last edited by A E J O T Z on Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
TripMX

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:37 am    Post subject: Haha, tracks in my head Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think it's funny because I thought I was the only one who would do this kind of thing. I'd think of melodies, and then start to hum them....if I like what I've come up with, I'd try to transpose those "melodic thoughts" into actual music.
mode

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you ever work on tracks in your head? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tdm wrote:
Do you ever work on tracks in your head?

I don't think i do. More when i'm reviewing playback or while improvising. I go through phases of art painting as well as creating music, and i often visualise and paint in my head when away from it.

Very very occasionally i may dream of music or painting. Thay can be good if i can remember it after.

Solipsis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

With me it's different. I usually go to my favorite website for composing music and I will upload a loop or sound that I think is promising. I experiment with it by adjusting the tempo or pitch, reversing it or doing something else. Then I would add some other loops or sounds to it to see if it blends well. I don't have a mental image of a tune or melody but rather I work it out on a diagram in the online studio that I use.
1roomstudio

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes ... I work on tracks in my head... and melodies and harmonies and orchestration etc.

It’s not the most productive way to work, for me personally, but if I can’t sleep because “I have too much on my mind” then, instead of counting sheep, I’ll work on music... sometimes even music theory... like... what are the various spellings of a diminished 7 b9 chord and their resolutions... or possible guitar fingerings for those same progressions. I make some progress... and I fall asleep. 😴

On tracks? Same thing... ideas bubble up from the subconscious all the time. If I can’t get to my DAW, I’ll ponder this thought and if seems worthy.... I’ll find some way to jot a note.

The “Notes” App on my phone is my new favorite App. 😎

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdOj3y4Q55K2nUX688PDt5Q

Reality is one thing... Perception is everything
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
Jump to: