electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » The Repair Shop
Mono/Poly noise in CV?
Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
agustindead

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Mono/Poly noise in CV? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, I'm having some trouble with a Korg Mono/Poly and I wonder if someone could help me locate this issue... When I play the synth, I get a cyclic interference, like a low frequency FM that comes and goes. I thought I had some strange modulations going on at first, but its frequency and the period it takes to appear and disappear don't have anything to do with the LFOs or any other settings...

Attachment is a little recording of me pressing the keys without any VCOs mixed in (you can hear some background noise and hum... is this OK?), and then I fade in an arpeggio with only VCO1.

It seems like the noise is generated with the controlling CV in the keyboard section... I used the CV out with external gear and the same happened with those VCOs. Also, I was able to play with no interference through the CV and trigger inputs (well, I actually hear some interference but it's definitelly much quieter and static, it doesn't come and go).

Here is the service manual for the synth, the keyboard schematic is on page 10:
http://dl.lojinx.com/analoghell/KorgMonoPoly-ServiceManual.pdf

I don't have a scope sadly, but the +5v supply feeding the big 8049 IC oscillates slightly on my meter, in phase with the interference I hear. Also all four CV connections oscillate in the same way. Still, it seems like it's not a power supply problem, since it measures a steady 5v once I disconnect the KLM-356 board (which handles the keyboard input and CV generation) from the supply.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Where should I check? Thanks in advance.

monopoly.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  monopoly.mp3
 Filesize:  2.19 MB
 Downloaded:  641 Time(s)

Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » The Repair Shop
Jump to: