electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Morphing tutorials or examples
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
aMUSEd

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Morphing tutorials or examples Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Are there any good tutorials or example patches using morph groups? I'm intrigued by this concept but the manual is a bit lacking in descriptions of what you can do with it. I realise it involves assigning several changes to one of 8 knobs but how much can you change - can you morph between patches for example? Has anyone heard of a VSTi called Symptohm:Melohman by Ohm force? - with this powerful granular based synth you can morph between up to 12 versions of a patch and assign keyboard controllers to each morph target - it's great for playing live. Is the Nord concept similar?
Jason

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

At this time you can not morph between patches or variations.
This may be added I think to OS update 1.4 in a limited capacity.
You simply first select in the editor which morph group you want to work with. It is then highlighted with a white box, then select a parameter you wish to assign to it, like frequecy cutoff for example. Once you select the parameter you want to assign you right click (PC) and go to Morph assign, therefore assigning that parameter to the previously selected morph group. Then after a paramter is assigned you can adjust the range in which the morph group has control of that given parameter by control clicking on the assigned parameter. The noted range is what is highlighted in red etc. As far as you asking how much you can change, the answer is any assignable parameter is what is available to alter. I hope that helps some. Yes all Ohm force things are awesome.
jamos

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 41

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jason wrote:
At this time you can not morph between patches or variations.
This may be added I think to OS update 1.4 in a limited capacity.

Do you have some info on this, or are you just hoping? None of the stuff I've seen on 1.4 mentions anything other than the random patch variator.
Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Except all that stuff about genetics and variation cross breeding.....

Quote:
and two different variations
can even be mated, to produce exciting new sounds. Using evolutionary
computation, a subdiscipline of the research field "artificial life",
the process is similar to the selective breeding of plants. The
process can be repeated in any number of generations, greatly
simplifying the creation of novel sounds and the exploration of the
vast potential of the Nord Modular G2 line of synthesizers.

and

Quote:
Another feature he mentioned afterwards, but didn't demonstrate (so I don't know much about how it works) is that you can create a kind of interpolated morph between two variations of a patch.
jamos

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 41

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah, I see: overloading of the term "morph".
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oops
mother misty

Audio files: 82
G2 patch files: 130

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi aMUSEd,

Seems like not that many people are using the morph groups, pitty, coz it's a very powerfull feature!
You can do some really nice things with morphs on drumpatches for example, check the following patch for an example...
"beast-me.pch2" (original version was patched by R.Kuit, i just assigned the morphs)
each variation has 24 morph parameters assigned to the modwheel, move it to hear the effect

or you can assign them to noodles, which is alot of fun!
Check the following performance for an example
"morphex 1.prf2" a noodle performance with four slots, each slot has 2 morph groups (24 parameters)
the 8 morph groups (which control 96 parameters) are assigned at global page A1.
I don't know if you have the keys or the engine, but this is a good example why I
prefer the keys above the engine, disconnect the computer and make some noise! Smile
I'm working on more of these patches where each slot interacts with eachother but I haven't found
the time to finish them Sad
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mother misty wrote:

I'm working on more of these patches where each slot interacts with eachother but I haven't found
the time to finish them :-(

Sounds interesting, maybe you could post some intermediate results along with some (very) basic thoughts and guidelines as experimental patches ?

Jan.
mother misty

Audio files: 82
G2 patch files: 130

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sure, will do that when i've some results...
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mother Misty is right about morph groups. One can get some amazing controls by linking together a bunch of adjustments that are not normally linked. For example, with morphs you can create one control that increases modulation indexes, delay time, feedback of a filter and the amount of shift on a frequency shifter. Why would you want to do that? Because sometimes you end up with something that is really fun.

I was hoping the Palle's patch mutation program would apply morph groups in some way to get some unexpected results. I don't think it does, but I could be wrong,

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
aMUSEd

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mother misty wrote:
hi aMUSEd,

Seems like not that many people are using the morph groups, pitty, coz it's a very powerfull feature!
You can do some really nice things with morphs on drumpatches for example, check the following patch for an example...
"beast-me.pch2" (original version was patched by R.Kuit, i just assigned the morphs)
each variation has 24 morph parameters assigned to the modwheel, move it to hear the effect

or you can assign them to noodles, which is alot of fun!
Check the following performance for an example
"morphex 1.prf2" a noodle performance with four slots, each slot has 2 morph groups (24 parameters)
the 8 morph groups (which control 96 parameters) are assigned at global page A1.
I don't know if you have the keys or the engine, but this is a good example why I
prefer the keys above the engine, disconnect the computer and make some noise! Smile
the time to finish them Sad

Thanks - I have the engine but I use a Phatboy 2 for hands on tweaking. Where can I find those examples?

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The mentioned patches are in the archive : http://electro-music.com/g2patches.php?order=filename&direction=ASC

Note that by clicking the column headers the presentation can be sorted.

Jan.
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: