electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
  host / artist show at your time
today> Modulator ESP Adventures In Sound
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
SSM2040 - need a recommendations for filter design
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
jurekprzezdziecki

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:47 am    Post subject: SSM2040 - need a recommendations for filter design Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i just have one SSM2014 ic and would like to use it in a nice build.
anyone could recommend me some nice VCF design?

best J
philpeery

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: SSM2040 filter Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi J,
Your subject says SSM2040 but you put SSM2014 in the post, I assume that's a type-o, Cool
My favorite SSM2040 filter, which I have had in my setup for a LONG time, is from Thomas Henry, published originally in a short lived newsletter called "Common Mode". The filter is an excellent sounding VCLPF, I love it for brass sounds, and works great for bass patches too. I think Thomas might have republished it in his BIG circuit collection book. Can't remember the title off the top of my head.
If you can't find the circuit, I have a copy of the original common mode article. I can scan it for you.
By the way, the circuit does require a tempco. Iirc it's a 1k 3500ppm.
Best,
Phil
jurekprzezdziecki

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi phil,

yes it's a type-o mistake:) i would like to try this approach. i have bought many TH books but i think it could be the "filter cookbook" which i do not have.

please scan it for me. here is my email if you don't mind.

jprzezdziecki@me.com

thanks a lot
philpeery

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi J,

I found my old, beat up copy of common mode and sent you a low res scan the article. You can also find this, and a bunch of Thomas' other designs (VCO deluxe!) in a collection called "Electronic Music Circuits: The Reprints volume 1" that was published by the gone but not forgotten Midwest Analog Products company that Thomas used to run. I had the good luck to grab a copy from Thomas before he closed up the business. Don't know if there is a PDF out that that you can download or buy. It would be great to have an electronic copy of this book, and his "Build a Better Synthesizer" book.

Let me know if you have any problems opening the PDF!

Best,
Phil
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: