electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Cannibalising patches
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
aMUSEd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Cannibalising patches Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just starting to get into making my own patches and exploring the use of the G2 as an effects unit. To help this I've been taking apart a few patches from the library and some of them sound really pretty good but I wondered if people minded if I posted some patches made from bits and pieces of other people's patches?
Unfed

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 11

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i think this is already done to some extent (need to start doing it myself a bit actually). if you're posting them here i guess it wouldn't be a bad idea to color a group of modules differently that were ripped from another patch and use a name panel labeled 'Filter design by Dave Peck' or something like that. just to give credit where it's due? maybe this is going too far? just an idea...
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There is no official EM policy for this I guess, but I'd love to see your patches.

On the NM mailing list it was part of the list dynamics to butcher up other people's patches. Crediting for ideas would be appreciated, but not when just getting an osc b from someone's patch.

Apart from that, when posting a patch you know things can happen to it, they might be altered or used ine a song or whatever. This can happen both with and without crediting, but people have been nice to each other on the NM list and I think they will be nice here as well.

Personally I always liked it on the mailing list when people would work on each other's patches, a lot could be learned from this and it was fun as well

Jan.
aMUSEd

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Unfed wrote:
i think this is already done to some extent (need to start doing it myself a bit actually). if you're posting them here i guess it wouldn't be a bad idea to color a group of modules differently that were ripped from another patch and use a name panel labeled 'Filter design by Dave Peck' or something like that. just to give credit where it's due? maybe this is going too far? just an idea...

I'm not sure if I can remember them all but I'll try where I can.

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm sure there are rare exceptions to this, but I think that people who post patches do so in a spirit of community and generosity. They actually hope that other musicians will get inspiration from their work and learn new tricks and techniques from their patches. It is, of course, great to thank people if you use their ideas, but sometimes it's hard to determine what you are borrowing from whom.

So, I'd say borrow whatever you can without any guilt. Trust your own sense of integrity to give credit when credit is due. Post your stuff in the same sprit of community and generosity.

I've said this so much it is almost a mantra: a community can accomplish much more than any individual. There isn't a patcher alive that hasn't learned something from other patchers.

If anyone disagrees, please chime in.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
davep

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 73

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, go for it. Some of my best patches are 'Frankenpatches' made from chunks of other people's patches. I might borrow a PM flute osc from Chet Singer, a warmth filter from Rob H, a clever distortion idea from Terryfunken, and graft them all together. I try to remember to say 'thanks'.

If it weren't for the generosity and open sharing of ideas here and in the list, I'd probably still be just patching saw oscs through LPFs.

BTW, if you'd like people to give you credit for something they borrowed from one of your patches, remember to put your name somewhere in your patch.

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

davep wrote:
BTW, if you'd like people to give you credit for something they borrowed from one of your patches, remember to put your name somewhere in your patch.

Good point. Idea

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: