electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Windows as a music workstation
Free software for windows...
Page 2 of 6 [135 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm quite impressed that DOOM has its own wikipedia page!! Cool

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doom

(sorry for the OT Embarassed )
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A great free vocoder program for Windows. See this post by X-Electric: http://electro-music.com/forum/post-74554.html#74554

X-Electric wrote:
Also not for Mac - but how about an application that've been commercial for so long, and now it is free for use ? Smile

http://www.cim.mcgill.ca/~clark/cylonix.html

It is also my favourite software vocoder - it also works live in few ways - You can talk live (use Your mic input as a modulate input) to some previosly recorded audio tracks that works as a carrier for Your voice, or You can use previosly recorded voice samples, or drum sequences to be used as a modulation source for the output of Your favourite synthesizer. You can also mix and match - why not playing live with a previosuly recorded drum loop and a synth pad... just try it - it has so many sound processing options that a beginner user could be confused - anyway - I'm stuck with this software since 2002 Wink

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Since it has been released and abondoned, I'm going to attach it here, just in case that web site goes away...

cylxv200.zip
 Description:
THE CYLONIX 18 CHANNEL VOCODER FOR Windows

Download
 Filename:  cylxv200.zip
 Filesize:  290.66 KB
 Downloaded:  1267 Time(s)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
FLechdrop

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A free AKAI S1100 sampler imitation at http://www.musicdyne.com.

Reaper is a free (as of yet) sequencer/recording utility: http://www.cockos.com/reaper/.

Analog X has all sorts of little audio utilities: http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/audio.htm.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I hadn't heard of Reaper before. Just downloaded it and it looks very good. They are a bit ahead of the current Audacity in features. Looks like it's a winner to me...

The Audio X site is well worth a look too.

Thanks, Fletchdrop. Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
FLechdrop

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's quite new, I believe. Smile

Usine looks pretty interesting too:

Quote:
Usine is an patch oriented sound software where you can add plug-ins and connect them without restriction. The main purpose of this program is to provide a real time analysis of an input signal and then react with, and modify plug-in parameters to produce the sound.

http://www.sensomusic.com/usine/
DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Been away for while working on music and other things in the studio and life in general. During my internet travels I have come up with some neat free VST plugins and synths.

Two really nice VSTi synths, Triangle I and Triangle II can be found at http://www.rgcaudio.com/products.htm There is also a free soundfont player there as well.

I came across a nice reverb called GlaceReverb - it can be found here:
http://www.dasample.com/forums.html?show=glaceverb

Another real nice free reverb is SIR and it can be found here:
http://www.knufinke.de/sir/index_en.html

Dave
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, Dave good to see you back... Thanks for adding these programs to the list.
xb27

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For live music a complete VST host :
at
http://www.sensomusic.com/
DES

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Howard! It's good to be able to get back on the list! It's amazing how fast time goes when you are busy!

I forgot to mention a FREE app/plugin that is fast becoming a core component of my rig. It is called MOBIUS and can be found here:

http://www.zonemobius.com

There is also a very active Yahoo group where the programmer is very involved with users. It is only for Windows right now

Mobius is a Looping application. It is not the same type of looping app like Acid or Live. Mobius basically is a software version of the Gibson Digital Echoplex and incorporates a lot of similar functions - and then leaves it in the dust. If any of you have seen the Looperlative looper - this is similar but again goes much further. Being software it is increasing in capabilities weekly. The programmer, Jeff Larsen, is very active on the Yahoo group and takes suggestions VERY seriously!

I'll describe one of the ways I use it so those not familier with loopers can get an idea of what this does. currently I am controlling it using a Behringer FCB-1010 midi controller pedal.

I'll start by playing some slow pads that swell in volume, then fade out. I'll hit record in Mobius and play for 30 seconds to a minute. If I hit the record key again, what I just played will play back indefinately unless I shorten the fadeout times. I'll select another loop slot and hit record. The first loop is playing and whatever I play now gets recorded into the second loop. I finish it and now two loops are playing together. They can operate synchronized to each other or independent which means I can have the loops working against each other to produce a nice ambient wash. Next I can pick another loop slot and put a sequenced style bass line or perhaps something else....etc... It operates in stand-alone mode and also as a VST plugin. In stand alone I believe you are limited to a stereo pair in and out in ASIO mode where as in VST operation you have 8 pairs available. I believe in standlalone MME you have more pairs available as well.

You can continue till the cows come home - and then go back out again.. Shocked You can also play prerecorded loops. There is even a scripting capability that I have not gotten into yet but a lot of the users swear by. And it doesn't matter what the sounds source is - Stick, guitar, bass, synth, voice, etc...

There are some other neat software loopers out there - but I don't think I have come across one - free or otherwise - that compares to this.

Dave
www.ambientstickist.com
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the link Dave. I've just downloaded Mobius and I'm very interested in making some Soundlab loops. If it's half as good as you say, I'll be very pleased.
DES

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not a problem!

Just remember that it is more of a performance tool - not an editor. You can save your loops and then import them into another app and tweak them there if you want.

Dave
www.ambientstickist.com
FLechdrop

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

xb27 wrote:
For live music a complete VST host :
at
http://www.sensomusic.com/

I posted that three posts above yours. Wink
I get all sorts of errors though, when I try it here.
ladislaobiro

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
I hadn't heard of Reaper before. Just downloaded it and it looks very good. They are a bit ahead of the current Audacity in features. Looks like it's a winner to me...

Hi mosc,

I own a digidesign M-Box...
Do you think it could work together with Audacity?
Into the M-Box package there is a "light" version of Pro-tools, but it works with mac os-x only, and I only have a windows pc, so I wanna try to find another software to use my M-Box for my home recordings...

Would Audacity be a good choice?
If not, which freeware software would you suggest me? Maybe Reaper?

Thanks for your help...
ciao...

ladislao
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ladislaobiro wrote:

Do you think it could work together with Audacity?

I don't see why not.

ladislaobiro wrote:
Would Audacity be a good choice?
If not, which freeware software would you suggest me? Maybe Reaper?

Audacity is very good. I use it all the time for quick and dirty recording. It's not yet a full-featured multi-track recorder (IMHO) and there is no MIDI. I've not used Reaper, but it looks like it's worth trying. It is multi-track and has MIDI too.

destroyifyer

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: hi
Subject description: hi
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I could never give the Tuareg 2 (Tu2) shareware enough credit for providing me with a drum machine, and a sampler, ect. Even though it is well-known, it certainly belongs on this topic. here:

TUAREG2.ZIP

you can make some relly cool music with Tuareg...they've got some cool presets for playing around; When you want to be creative, you can load your own drum sounds and samples and put lo-fi effects on them.

i'd post a link for "Cool Edit" but everybody and their grandma knows about cool edit. For the birds, Cool Edit is now called "adobe audition"

Has anyone tried out Audition?[/url]

Last edited by destroyifyer on Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
FLechdrop

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes. Audition is good, no midi though, but unfortunately I haven't been able to try the new version 2.0 (my processor is too old to run it). It's not quite free either (anymore). Adobe Audition 1.0 was basically Cool Edit with a different name, then version 1.5 added some useful additions, followed now by version 2.0, which is a completely reworked piece of software.

A good source of information about all things Cool Edit and Audition is the Audiomasters Forum.
cappy2112

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
diskonext wrote:

SuperCollider is supposed to be out for Windows as well, right?

Yes, in a way. It´s a crude port, maintained by just one individual. The help-file notes that some error messages are "normal" on startup and for example MIDI-out nor controll based on the mouse´s position are supported at this moment. The project has also been suspiciously silent....

...But it runs. It´s installed on my laptop right now.

got a Link for Super Collider on windows?
destroyifyer

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject:  feedback
Subject description: info on clonix vocoder
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

CLonix...I am enjoying its use. It's not entirely idiot-proof but it's fairly simple to use.
...It's good for use with a keyboard if you just mess around,
however if you want to actually do voice effects then you have to learn how to use it--it's really not the kind of program you can just play with the buttons and it sounds cool, it requires a little bit of effort.

Many thanks Mosc for posting it.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is a good article about PC and Mac freeware. Many we have mentioned already, but there are some new ones. http://www.computermusic.co.uk/pdf/features/cheapthrills.pdf
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Here is a good article about PC and Mac freeware. Many we have mentioned already, but there are some new ones. http://www.computermusic.co.uk/pdf/features/cheapthrills.pdf

I don't think this goes far enough. Where's the G2 Demo or Supercollider? What about Linux?? Typical lazily researched CM stuff imo- Do they not realise that most people have connections to the internet already??

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
cappy2112

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FLechdrop wrote:
Yes. Audition is good, no midi though, but unfortunately I the Audiomasters Forum.

This link doesn't work. Would you post the correct one?
Himer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Audacity is a fine audio recorder and editor with import/export to mp3 and ogg formats. It supports hosting VST plugins, but I've peronally never tired that feature.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

What i like most in this program is the ability to create sinwaves (or squares etc.) at any pitch and length. That gives you the ability to build a neat additive synthesizer. Its not a K5000 but lot of fun....

erstes additives.wav
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  erstes additives.wav
 Filesize:  450.03 KB
 Downloaded:  911 Time(s)

FLechdrop

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cappy2112 wrote:
This link doesn't work. Would you post the correct one?

They've moved to www.audiomastersforum.net
Fozzie

G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FLechdrop wrote:
Reaper is a free (as of yet) sequencer/recording utility: http://www.cockos.com/reaper/.

A little bump here for Reaper. Although it is no longer free, it is 'uncrippled unexpiring shareware' that is fully functional when not paid for, meaning you can try & test as long as you feel is right. Registration for personal use is just 40 dollars, so it isn't expensive (200 USD for commercial use). But finance isn't the main thing I want to address.

The SPEED of development is unbelievable!!! User requests that are reasonable are often implemented within days. Also, a lot of things in Reaper are customizable (looks, default settings, shortcut keys, etc) and while it has many features (VSTi, DXi, Rewire, custom JS plugins, very flexible routing, video sync, midi editor, easy looping, etc etc), it is still a very lean app. The download is just 1.7Mb, and several updates per week are made. In all, the program is just in development for 1 year... did I mention SPEED of development Laughing

NickSonic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wrote some programs to do electro-music on Windows.
Some of them are a bit old, and they might be too much oriented towards my personal use. However a few of them might be useful. There is stuff to convert pictures into audio textures, to generate audio and MIDI from a WACOM tablet, from a virtual glove etc...
It's all free.
The website is: www.nicolasfournel.com

Nico
Page 2 of 6 [135 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Windows as a music workstation
Jump to: